Sprint/Clearwire Acquisition Discussion (Formerly: Dish offer to acquire Clearwire for $4.40 per share in cash.)

bucdenny

So what happens after Clearwire is purchased by Sprint? Will Clearwire keep it name or will it change to New Sprint? What about the stock?

During the transitional period, Clearwire will still exist, but I expect Sprint to fold Clearwire into New Sprint with all the customers and spectrum into 1 company. No need to operate 2 separate businesses, it's not cost effective.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Will Clearwire's CLEAR offering continue post-buyout?

its hard to fathom a scenario in which they offer service under the CLEAR brand post buyout. They will sell Sprint service, some devices happen to use the clearwire WiMAX network for the time being.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

Softbank Corp. (9984.TO) is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years, President Masayoshi Son said in an interview, as his company seeks to make the U.S. mobile phone carrier a more serious challenge to top rivals, the Nikkei reported in its Monday morning edition.

Under Softbank, the pace of investment at Sprint will more than double. Most of the roughly Y1.6 trillion in spending will go toward base stations for Sprint's high-speed LTE network. Softbank is also adding base stations in Japan. It reckons its Sprint takeover, recently approved by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, will lower costs through economies of scale, not only in network infrastructure but also in smartphone procurement.

If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years.

• Like 9

Hmm is Sprint's high speed LTE network Son is pushing the PCS FD-LTE or the Clearwire TD-LTE?

Does Softbank use any PCS in Japan?

Hmm is Sprint's high speed LTE network Son is pushing the PCS FD-LTE or the Clearwire TD-LTE?

Does Softbank use any PCS in Japan?

Son is going to push for LTE expansion no matter what frequency its on.  The fact is that PCS spectrum since its paired only accommodates for FD-LTE.  Son couldn't change it to TD-LTE even if he wanted to.  Son just wants to beat the crap out of Verizon and ATT.

Cmon Daque...do you really have to ask if Son is also pushing for Clearwire TD-LTE?  Why would Sprint/Softbank push so hard to get Clearwire if it didn't have the vision to deploy a more widespread 2.5 GHz 4G network (in this case LTE) that Clearwire failed to do so horribly back in 2010.  Right now we all have to be patient.  Once Sprint/softbank/clearwire merger becomes official with the Clearwire vote tomorrow we have to give the Softbank group at least 2 quarters to come up with a great 2.5 GHz TD-LTE plan to enhance the Sprint network.

Also Japan doesn't use the PCS spectrum like we use here in the US.

Sprint's PCS LTE is not as fast as Verizon's LTE. Sprint has always said 2.5Ghz was just for high use areas, this seems to be the first public hint that after NV 1.0 finishes up the big push could be in a nation wide 2.5Ghz rollout and expansion is all I was getting at.  I hope they do it. I also hope it goes better than the WiMax deployment. I know they ran out of money but my gut thinks the problem ran deeper and centered in management decisions. I don't think Son would put up with any excuses under his leadership.  I totally agree with you that all the big economy of scale pluses come 2.5 Ghz TD phones and equipment deployment.

Oh I'm not saying Sprint's PCS LTE is not fast enough, I just saying its not as fast as big red.

The 2.5Ghz TD-LTE should be as fast or beat Verizon's.

Sprint's PCS LTE is not as fast as Verizon's LTE. Sprint has always said 2.5Ghz was just for high use areas, this seems to be the first public hint that after NV 1.0 finishes up the big push could be in a nation wide 2.5Ghz rollout and expansion is all I was getting at. I hope they do it. I also hope it goes better than the WiMax deployment. I know they ran out of money but my gut thinks the problem ran deeper and centered in management decisions. I don't think Son would put up with any excuses under his leadership. I totally agree with you that all the big economy of scale pluses come 2.5 Ghz TD phones and equipment deployment.

Oh I'm not saying Sprint's PCS LTE is not fast enough, I just saying its not as fast as big red.

The 2.5Ghz TD-LTE should be as fast or beat Verizon's.

Faster theoretic speeds. However VZW actual LTE speeds are plummeting below Sprint in many markets.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 6

A 'robust network' and 'winning a speed test whore off with a limited data plan' are two very different things.   I want my unlimited access to maintain usability when other people in my area start realizing the fantastic value offered by Sprint.     

Its nice to name drop the big two when comparisons are made, but there is no value in trying to be like them in any way other than network expansion.  

• Like 1

pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage....sounds like a rural build-out to me LOL (ONE CAN HOPE ) 

Well, it would not make financial sense, but if you want bragging rights, you have to pay for them.

They note in the article that the deal plans to close tomorrow, July 9th!  These next 2 days will be great for Sprint, to finally start heading forward in the right direction.

• Like 2