LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

You guys are also forgetting that it may be out of Sprint's hands on when it launches, perhaps AT&T and Verizon paid more to have it get released earlier. Now, I'm not saying that's what happened, but it would make sense if that November date is correct.

Phonearena.com's review of the device: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-G2-Review_id3404

FWIW, they've been talking about they only had a non-US model since the announcement, I didn't see in the article whether it was a domestic carrier model or the one LG gave them.

Not to insult you at all zippychance but wow. That is one of the most boilerplate and rushed reviews I have ever seen. Phonearena should be completely ashamed of the battery section

"Battery

How is the G2's beefy 3000 mAh battery handling this enormous display? Quite well, actually. The phone can easily last you through a full working day of heavy usage, or about a couple of days of moderate usage. Sure, the device might has some extra thickness to it, but we'd prefer this over a thinner profile, if it means better battery life... especially when the added thickness doesn't make the smartphone more difficult or unpleasant to hold." 

I mean, good lord, I could have written that without ever seeing the phone! I guess we will have to wait for TheVerge/Engadget for the review and Anandtech for technical battery stats,

I am skeptical about the battery lasting for "a couple of days of moderate usage". But, on the subject of the review, it almost sounds like it was paid for by LG. I am not saying it won't be an awesome phone. I am looking forward to it. My very first cell phone was an LG back when Sprint began their "Vision" campaign with the very first color screen flip phones. I liked that phone and have high hopes for the G2. I just have to see how the LG skinned overlay is in person over stock Android.

You guys are also forgetting that it may be out of Sprint's hands on when it launches, perhaps AT&T and Verizon paid more to have it get released earlier. Now, I'm not saying that's what happened, but it would make sense if that November date is correct.

Now that the summer vacation is over, I am working on a belated article for the LG G2 FCC OET authorizations.  Some of the data still seems to be missing, much like with the Optimus G last summer.  So, I am basically betting on a Class II Permissive Change filing down the road.  Similar to last year, that probably pushes the release back to later in the fall.

AJ

• Like 3

I am skeptical about the battery lasting for "a couple of days of moderate usage".

One advantage of the Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) is that it potentially brings processor, baseband modem, and Wi-Fi all back on one 28 nm process chipset.  Compare that to the HTC One, which has good battery life, but it has separate processor, baseband modem, and Wi-Fi chipsets.

AJ

One advantage of the Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) is that it potentially brings processor, baseband modem, and Wi-Fi all back on one 28 nm process chipset.  Compare that to the HTC One, which has good battery life, but it has separate processor, baseband modem, and Wi-Fi chipsets.

AJ

Do we know what Wi-Fi chip the G2 has? I asked when it was announced and basically got "maybe WCN 3680, maybe not".

Do we know what Wi-Fi chip the G2 has? I asked when it was announced and basically got "maybe WCN 3680, maybe not".

I am not sure.  Only occasionally do FCC OET filings reveal those sorts of details.  What I can say is that it has 802.11ac specs identical to those of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4.  Plus, it will definitely have processor and cellular baseband modem on the same MSM8974 chipset.

AJ

I am not sure.  Only occasionally do FCC OET filings reveal those sorts of details.  What I can say is that it has 802.11ac specs identical to those of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4.  Plus, it will definitely have processor and cellular baseband modem on the same MSM8974 chipset.

AJ

OK, so are ac specs similar to the Moto X too or not? You're right though, you're going to save some battery life by integrating the baseband.

OK, so are ac specs similar to the Moto X too or not? You're right though, you're going to save some battery life by integrating the baseband.

I cannot speak to real world performance, but the 802.11ac spec is MCS index 9 (single stream, 256-QAM, 80 MHz bandwidth, 400 ns guard interval).

AJ

I cannot speak to real world performance, but the 802.11ac spec is MCS index 9 (single stream, 256-QAM, 80 MHz bandwidth, 400 ns guard interval).

AJ

Ok, I see what you're saying. Time to go through the Moto X's FCC page.

Cleatus, just putting info out there. I wouldn't take offense from someone else's work. If you didn't like that, you really won't like phone arena's article comparing it to the S4. On an unrelated note, a sprint store manager spoke to their LG rep and told me that Sprint would be the last to carry the device, and said "maybe 2 months unfortunately". Maybe they'll have a sale when you buy the G2 and the gpad?

• Like 1

Cleatus, just putting info out there. I wouldn't take offense from someone else's work. If you didn't like that, you really won't like phone arena's article comparing it to the S4. On an unrelated note, a sprint store manager spoke to their LG rep and told me that Sprint would be the last to carry the device, and said "maybe 2 months unfortunately". Maybe they'll have a sale when you buy the G2 and the gpad?

Thumbs down...I'm ready to move on from my s3 Lol. It's not a bad device, but I've had it since launch and its the device I've had the longest out of any other on sprint.

Extensive testing of the first sprint triband device, from LG no less? That would be music to my ears , a stark comparison to the incessant whining we would endure if the device was launched with hiccups

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

That 800 MHz band better be a fine tuned machine before the average user gets their hands on a tri-band device. And since Sprint just canned a gaggle of phone support staff its even more imperative.

I just came across this image online, and I had to share! :D

:rofl:

Someone edited that on g+ when LG announced the phone. Everyone was talking about the Verizon spam so someone took it upon themselves to fix it lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Not strictly a G2, but seeing as the last Nexus was a derivative of the Optimus G, there's a good chance this leaked Nexus is a derivative of the G2 (especially considering the LG logo on the back). Holding out a sliver of hope there's a Sprint version...

nexus-5-1020-rumor_large_verge_medium_la

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4691652/did-google-just-leak-the-nexus-5-kitkat-video

The device on the left does not look "LG."  It looks "Asus" -- almost the spitting image of the back of my second gen Nexus 7.  Unless that man is huge enough to make a Nexus 7 look small, the device appears to be potentially a 5 in handset version of the second gen tablet.

AJ

The Verge (certainly not the definitive authority on the matter) unequivocally says:

The mystery device also includes an LG logo at the rear, meaning the two companies may be collaborating on another Nexus handset.

And here's a little bit of motion:

1SuQhNG.gif

Check out the reflection on the left where the LG logo is on the Nexus 4. Those don't look similar/identical to you?

Either way, as a Nexus it probably won't come to Sprint, but I'm still holding out hope.

• Like 1

100% that is an LG logo. And I agree it does not look like a G2 derivative. I vote for this using the 5.5 inch display from the G Pro, and there being another Nexus 4 in the works as well.

Don't forget there is an LG D820 FCC filing for which we don't yet know the device...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by djw39
  • Like 1

If I were on Tmobile I would wait to see what the New Nexus (5) is going to be. It looks like a G2 dervivative without the back buttons. It might have lower specs, but pure android  with updates guaranteed.

Hopefully the Sprint version comes sooner than Sept 25th.  To be honest, Sprint should be selling it next Friday 9/13 since ATT and Verizon are selling the LG G2 on 9/12 and 9/13.