LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

The more I look at the G2, the more I am now interested in the phone.  Verizon and ATT are both selling the 32 GB model for $199 with 2 year contract starting this weekend.  If Sprint sells the 32 GB model for $199 with 2 year contract, I might consider getting the LG G2 given that its a triband phone. 

I was really disappointed in hearing the Note 3 will be single band LTE so I am now considering the LG G2 as an alternative.

• Like 2

The more I look at the G2, the more I am now interested in the phone. Verizon and ATT are both selling the 32 GB model for $199 with 2 year contract starting this weekend. If Sprint sells the 32 GB model for $199 with 2 year contract, I might consider getting the LG G2 given that its a triband phone.

I was really disappointed in hearing the Note 3 will be single band LTE so I am now considering the LG G2 as an alternative.

Well you have a few months to think about it.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I have a coworker who went from a galaxy s3 to an LG Optimus Pro and he loves it. I haven't used any LG smartphones so I am not very familiar with their iteration of Android or their build quality. From the pictures and reviews I have seen so far, it does look like the G2 can end up being a great phone. Aren't some versions also coming with high end headphones, too?

As far as speed and responsiveness, the LG Optimus G is much faster and fluid than the GS3 in my occasional use. I used the LG every day for a week and was sad to go back to my GS3. If the current year devices compare like last years, it is no contest. The biggest problem with the Optimus last year was that it didn't say Samsung on the front.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

As far as speed and responsiveness, the LG Optimus G is much faster and fluid than the GS3 in my occasional use. I used the LG every day for a week and was sad to go back to my GS3. If the current year devices compare like last years, it is no contest. The biggest problem with the Optimus last year was that it didn't say Samsung on the front.

Wait why did you go back to GS3 again?  Is it the lack of support?  I know the LG Optimus G was only available on Sprint and AT&T last year but I am hoping that since the LG G2 is going to be available on all 4 major carriers that the software support will be better this time than the original LG Optimus G.

Wait why did you go back to GS3 again? Is it the lack of support? I know the LG Optimus G was only available on Sprint and AT&T last year but I am hoping that since the LG G2 is going to be available on all 4 major carriers that the software support will be better this time than the original LG Optimus G.

It was a loaner phone.

I have a coworker who went from a galaxy s3 to an LG Optimus Pro and he loves it. I haven't used any LG smartphones so I am not very familiar with their iteration of Android or their build quality. From the pictures and reviews I have seen so far, it does look like the G2 can end up being a great phone. Aren't some versions also coming with high end headphones, too?

Same thing kind of happened to me. I upgraded to the EVO LTE last year but, it quit working due to water damage and my own carelessness. I picked up a LG Optimus G on craigslist thinking, this will at least tie me over till my next upgrade.  Turns out the Optimus G was actually an upgrade.  Total blessing in disguise!  This phone is really underrated in my opinion. I wouldn't trade it for anything, untill tri-band comes out.  Due to how impressed I've been with the LGOG since I stumbled across it, I'll definately be getting the LG G2 on release day. 

• Like 2

Ahhhh gotcha. Are you interested in getting the LG G2?

My next phone will probably be the G2.

With a few maybes thrown in. If the HTC One Max is announced by November (and has stylus support), or if the Nexus is available through the Play Store at a competitive price it may make me rethink things a bit. I am not going to keep chasing the next big thing, so basically these other options have until the the actual launch of the G2 to become more official. I am not in the mood to keep chasing rumors. I will have a triband phone by the holidays.

My next phone will probably be the G2.

With a few maybes thrown in. If the HTC One Max is announced by November (and has stylus support), or if the Nexus is available through the Play Store at a competitive price it may make me rethink things a bit. I am not going to keep chasing the next big thing, so basically these other options have until the the actual launch of the G2 to become more official. I am not in the mood to keep chasing rumors. I will have a triband phone by the holidays.

Me too I am so tired of trying to chase the ideal smartphone (Note 3) and don't want to feel like I sacrificed all that time when I could have upgraded since June just to upgrade to a single band LTE device.  I will definitely use my upgrade by November when the Nexus 5 comes out.

With all the reviews going up from Engadget, Anandtech, and some Youtube reviews, I'm actually convinced that this will be my next phone. As I said in a previous post, I'm usually not into the whole camera part of smartphones, so the Nexus 5 would usually suffice, but the OIS, 1080p 60 fps recording, and the purported battery life on this phone are just too good to pass up. If LG's UI doesn't slow down the UI as much as TouchWiz does, I actually couldn't care less if the icons were bright and colorful so I may not even need to go AOSP for that extra smoothness, and so far, everything I've seen seems to indicate that is the case. Add Triband compatibility to that, and I think I'll definitely be happy with this phone.

• Like 2

With all the reviews going up from Engadget, Anandtech, and some Youtube reviews, I'm actually convinced that this will be my next phone. As I said in a previous post, I'm usually not into the whole camera part of smartphones, so the Nexus 5 would usually suffice, but the OIS, 1080p 60 fps recording, and the purported battery life on this phone are just too good to pass up. If LG's UI doesn't slow down the UI as much as TouchWiz does, I actually couldn't care less if the icons were bright and colorful so I may not even need to go AOSP for that extra smoothness, and so far, everything I've seen seems to indicate that is the case. Add Triband compatibility to that, and I think I'll definitely be happy with this phone.

I really liked the idea of the SD card/Removable battery in the leaks (turned out to be the Korean version), but after they announced embedded battery/no SD card slot, I was turned off a little.  After a few days, I decided that I don't use that much storage (maybe ~15 GB max) and figured if I can get a 32GB sotrage option, I'd buy this device.  Also - I am pleased with a 3,000 MAh battery in such a slim form.  Very nice.  Only thing that I question is the durability with the battery after 2 years...Does it degrade slowly per charge cycle with this new silicon battery technology?

Either way, I'm sold on this device now with all of the reviews and specifications.

Damn you guys for reminding me about these two things.. No swappable battery and no SD card. Two options I require along with 800LTE. Things are getting slim.

Is 32 GB not enough for you?  Verizon, Tmobile and ATT are selling the 32 GB model for $199 on 2 year contract.  I expect Sprint would also sell the 32 GB model as well for $199.  The removable battery is something you have to do deal with but the battery life from all the reviews I read is really good and can easily last a day.

If other phones take much longer to come out with triband support, the LG G2 may become the official smartphone of S4GRU.

Good because LG could definitely use tons of support for their flagship smartphones.

I really liked the idea of the SD card/Removable battery in the leaks (turned out to be the Korean version), but after they announced embedded battery/no SD card slot, I was turned off a little.  After a few days, I decided that I don't use that much storage (maybe ~15 GB max) and figured if I can get a 32GB sotrage option, I'd buy this device.  Also - I am pleased with a 3,000 MAh battery in such a slim form.  Very nice.  Only thing that I question is the durability with the battery after 2 years...Does it degrade slowly per charge cycle with this new silicon battery technology?

Either way, I'm sold on this device now with all of the reviews and specifications.

I was looking at Tmobile, Verizon and ATT websites for the carrier variants of the LG G2 that is for sale and all of them are selling the 32 GB model only for $199 on 2 year contract (Tmobile is $99 plus $21/24 months).  I expect Sprint to do the right thing and sell the 32 GB model only for $199 on 2 year contract.  However at this point, its hard to trust what Sprint should do.  In fact Verizon is selling the LG G2 starting today and ATT is selling it starting tomorrow and I would definitely advise you to start checking it out and not wait 2 months before Sprint gets it to start playing with the phone.  From the looks of it, the ATT model looks more like the one that Sprint would be modeled after since Verizon has some customized looks to the phone.

Verizon

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=7091

AT&T

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/phones/phone_details_main.jsp?skuId=sku11383700060&activeTab=Overview

Tmobile

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/lg-g2.html

Man, this thing is getting GREAT reviews. I spent this evening watching 4-5 in depth reviews and they all recommended this phone. Great camera, great battery life, snappy, and the LG skin isn't 'that bad'.

This very well could be the go-to phone for S4GRU since it is the only one with Tri-Band.

Coming from a 32GB iPhone, I no issues with a fixed battery and no SD card. Was leaning on the Note 3, but only way I'll get that now is if I switch to AT&T.

Man, this thing is getting GREAT reviews. I spent this evening watching 4-5 in depth reviews and they all recommended this phone. Great camera, great battery life, snappy, and the LG skin isn't 'that bad'.

This very well could be the go-to phone for S4GRU since it is the only one with Tri-Band.

Coming from a 32GB iPhone, I no issues with a fixed battery and no SD card. Was leaning on the Note 3, but only way I'll get that now is if I switch to AT&T.

HAHA so you are as much as of a nerd as I am.  I was watching like any LG indepth review as I can and I even rewatched the LG G2 event on Youtube again.

HAHA so you are as much as of a nerd as I am.  I was watching like any LG indepth review as I can and I even rewatched the LG G2 event on Youtube again.

Haha, I know I have been watching your posts to see what you are going to do. I'm in the same boat as you.. was ready for the Note 3 but can't make myself pull the trigger without it TriBand. 

I'm sure people have seen my other posts that I haven't been happy with Sprint's 3G service and have thought about jumping ship. Today I did a whole analysis with AT&T price comparisons by leaving my individual Sprint plan and joining back with my parents/brother on AT&T just to get the Note 3 with solid LTE coverage. I just hate limiting data, even if it will end up being cheaper than Sprint for me.

This phone, the G2, is the latest one that has my attention since I am pretty sure 2600MHz is rolling out in Tampa and 800 & 2600 will likely roll out in my home town of Orlando. 

It's a tough road and I suck with decision making lol.

Haha, I know I have been watching your posts to see what you are going to do. I'm in the same boat as you.. was ready for the Note 3 but can't make myself pull the trigger without it TriBand. 

I'm sure people have seen my other posts that I haven't been happy with Sprint's 3G service and have thought about jumping ship. Today I did a whole analysis with AT&T price comparisons by leaving my individual Sprint plan and joining back with my parents/brother on AT&T just to get the Note 3 with solid LTE coverage. I just hate limiting data, even if it will end up being cheaper than Sprint for me.

This phone, the G2, is the latest one that has my attention since I am pretty sure 2600MHz is rolling out in Tampa and 800 & 2600 will likely roll out in my home town of Orlando. 

It's a tough road and I suck with decision making lol.

Um I think I am pretty much set on the LG G2.  The more I read about it the more I like it.  All the blogs say that the 3000 maH battery holds itself pretty well with heavy use.  The Nexus 5 is probably my backup option now that I think about it more since the HTC One Max is going to be too big for my liking even if its triband LTE.

However that 2300 maH battery on the Nexus 5 is a bit disappointing and even though it is stock Android some of the features like remote control (LG smart remote), multitasking (Samsung multiwindow, LG Qslide), the camera (not sure if it will have OIS feature), other LG software specific features, etc will be missing on stock Android for Nexus 5.  Besides if the bootloader is not locked on the LG G2, there will always be a developer community that is dedicated to bringing CM ROMs that are stock Android to the device so I am not too worried about that.  So because of these things, I am kinda leaning towards the LG G2 as the smartphone that has the right package for me and the best of both worlds.

I'm excited about the options coming to the consumer. The Xperia Z1, LG G2 and Nexus 5 are going to be great devices. Although Sprint might only see the G2 unfortunately. My coworker switched his HTC One for the Verizon G2 today so when he works tomorrow I will check it out. The Z1 looks pretty amazing though.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4