Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

Anyone that has purchased a triband LTE hotspot can confirm 2.5 TD-LTE in the 8 markets that have been soft launched by Sprint?  It would be nice to get some more screenshots of speedtests and the locations they were in when taking speedtests  It would be awesome to confirm TD-LTE in all 8 markets.

Anyone that has purchased a triband LTE hotspot can confirm 2.5 TD-LTE in the 8 markets that have been soft launched by Sprint? It would be nice to get some more screenshots of speedtests and the locations they were in when taking speedtests It would be awesome to confirm TD-LTE in all 8 markets.

Chicago and Denver confirmed so far.

Sent from my HTC ONE

• Like 1

Anyone that has purchased a triband LTE hotspot can confirm 2.5 TD-LTE in the 8 markets that have been soft launched by Sprint? It would be nice to get some more screenshots of speedtests and the locations they were in when taking speedtests It would be awesome to confirm TD-LTE in all 8 markets.

What would be the maximus speeds for these tests: 100 Mbps cause of the backhaul?

What would be the maximus speeds for these tests: 100 Mbps cause of the backhaul?

No not anywhere close to 100 Mbps because the backhaul was shared between LTE and Wimax networks and the fact that Clearwire sites do not have as much backhaul capacity as what Sprint Network Vision sites will eventually get.  Robert was able to get 40 Mbps in his testing in Denver.  I am not sure what the backhaul capacity Clearwire sites typically are. 

Since we still have such limited data (Robert's screenshots) on the TD-LTE network, I wouldn't take it to be a full representation of what speeds will be like in other markets.  I don't think any or not many Cleawire sites that have over 100 Mbps of backhaul capacity.

No not anywhere close to 100 Mbps because the backhaul was shared between LTE and Wimax networks and the fact that Clearwire sites do not have as much backhaul capacity as what Sprint Network Vision sites will eventually get.  Robert was able to get 40 Mbps in his testing in Denver.  I am not sure what the backhaul capacity Clearwire sites typically are. 

Since we still have such limited data (Robert's screenshots) on the TD-LTE network, I wouldn't take it to be a full representation of what speeds will be like in other markets.  I don't think any or not many Cleawire sites that have over 100 Mbps of backhaul capacity.

Personally I still think that the top end speed Robert got may have been limited by the Wifi speed of the Note 2.

• Like 4

What would be the maximum speeds for these tests: 100 Mbps cause of the backhaul?

Personally I still think that the top end speed Robert got may have been limited by the Wifi speed of the Note 2.

How is it limited?  Not enough antennas to take advantage of wireless N speeds?  I guess if this is true then you may have a point.  I guess we would have to really see once tri-band LTE devices come out and retest this theory.

How is it limited? Not enough antennas to take advantage of wireless N speeds? I guess if this is true then you may have a point. I guess we would have to really see once tri-band LTE devices come out and retest this theory.

Most phones on 2.4ghz only do 20mhz channels and since there is only one wifi antenna the rate is limited to 65 or 72 megabit handshake depending on the SGI of the network. The typical rule is to cut that in half for actual speed so it is limited to about 35 megabits download.

No, that does not answer the question of what will happen with the ~8,500 non-colocated Clear sites. I did mention that the 38-39k full build NV sites would all be getting 2600 (plus an unknown number of small cells; the "even more sites than that" part). The second bolded part references 5,000 Clearwire sites, which for all we know are the 5,500 sites that were colocated with Sprint's NV sites, or a mix of those and dedicated Clear sites. Either way, the original plan was to deploy on a subset of Clearwire's 14,000 sites. The new plan is that subset + all the Sprint sites (some of which may be part of said subset) + small cells.

I'm going to presume what will happen to ( those 8,500 non co-located) clear sites will depend on where they are located and if they are are relevant.  Since all Sprint sites are now getting LTE 2500 Mhz there will be SOME areas of redundant overlapping - which would be a waste of resources and money -  those sites would be eliminated.

Since Sprint now control 100% of clearwire assets: Sprint could convert SOME of those current 8,500 (non co-located ) locations into full Sprint sites ( doing tri-band ) pretty easily  w/new base stations.  This also makes sense for some locations - where Sprint needs to expand coverage ( or at least improve coverage ) 

Either way they will do what's best for the network while also be cost saving. Son said of the $16 Billion Softbank was investing in Sprint ( during the first two years ) that "MOST" of the $16B would go to base stations. As mentioned above: Reading into this I'd say Sprint will be putting up sites in areas where they currently have little or NO sites - in order to expand coverage in areas Sprint really needs it.  Son did say coverage would have to expand.

The fact that Sprint is moving 2.5Ghz TD LTE to every site ( and also adding more sites ) is a step in the right direction for a network that currently needs more speed.  Softbank has enough experience running TD-LTE that they can make this work much better then Sprint could've done on it's own ( meaning: If somehow Sprint could've bought Clearwire on it's own ) giving Sprint the leadership to do this since Softbank already runs TD-LTE..

The Now Network is becoming a better network... now.

Most phones on 2.4ghz only do 20mhz channels and since there is only one wifi antenna the rate is limited to 65 or 72 megabit handshake depending on the SGI of the network. The typical rule is to cut that in half for actual speed so it is limited to about 35 megabits download.

Since Bluetooth and wifi are in the same band of 2.4 ghz they also share the Antenna.

Since Bluetooth and wifi are in the same band of 2.4 ghz they also share the Antenna.

Yes, we've joked with Josh about SWIBT or SBTWI on phones. 

In case anyone is interested in the real method to the madness behind those 300, 450, or even 600 mbit routers.  This 802.11n (not AC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates

Interference is also a factor I might add.  I can look at my neighbors channels thru windows going to command and running "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid"

2.4 Ghz is pretty busy - especially with close neighbors and apartments/ townhomes..

I found when I was on close channels ( where some overlapping happens ) my wireless download might only be 20 to 24 Mb/s on the iphone 5.. Once I switch the iPhone 5 to my 5Ghz channel ( my Asus router broadcast both 2.4 Ghz and 5  Ghz )  I can consistently hit 48 to 50 Mb/s .... My Time Warner RR does 50 down and 5 up..  If your router only does 2.4 Ghz experimenting with channels is the best thing to optimize speed.. Sometimes that means using the command I listed above and seeing what's being picked up - If you're picking it up on your pc - then it could definitely slow you down.  This is why they are getting newer routers to be "compliant" ( being neighbor friendly ) so you CAN't select 40 Mhz wide channels ( they auto switch to 20 Mhz in congested areas ) to make sure you "are a good neighbor " and don't add to the interference problem.. 

2.5 Ghz = 2500 Mhz

Wait, what?

Yes 2.5 Ghz ..is equal.. to 2500 Mhz ..same frequency

Liken it to 5280 feet is also a 1 Mile .. same disntance

And a  500 GIG Hard Drive is equal to 500,000 Megabytes... same amount of storage

Come to think of it. WIFI doesn't  take up the whole 2.4ghz band. It is shared with bluetooth, and only has 11 channels from 2412 MHz to 2462 MHz at 5 MHz spacing. Primary frequency users of the 2.4ghz band is Ham Radio operators which can use up to 50 watts erp thru out 2.4 ghz. That is for B,G, and N.

Interference is also a factor I might add.  I can look at my neighbors channels thru windows going to command and running "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid"

2.4 Ghz is pretty busy - especially with close neighbors and apartments/ townhomes..

I found when I was on close channels ( where some overlapping happens ) my wireless download might only be 20 to 24 Mb/s on the iphone 5.. Once I switch the iPhone 5 to my 5Ghz channel ( my Asus router broadcast both 2.4 Ghz and 5  Ghz )  I can consistently hit 48 to 50 Mb/s .... My Time Warner RR does 50 down and 5 up..  If your router only does 2.4 Ghz experimenting with channels is the best thing to optimize speed.. Sometimes that means using the command I listed above and seeing what's being picked up - If you're picking it up on your pc - then it could definitely slow you down.  This is why they are getting newer routers to be "compliant" ( being neighbor friendly ) so you CAN't select 40 Mhz wide channels ( they auto switch to 20 Mhz in congested areas ) to make sure you "are a good neighbor " and don't add to the interference problem.. 

Here's your answer:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-lindgren-RF-Enclosure-Security-Conference-Room/190551187442

• Like 2

2.5 Ghz = 2500 Mhz

Yes 2.5 Ghz ..is equal.. to 2500 Mhz ..same frequency

Liken it to 5280 feet is also a 1 Mile .. same disntance

And a 500 GIG Hard Drive is equal to 500,000 Megabytes... same amount of storage

Specifically, where did anyone say that Sprint is hitting every site with TD?

sent via my SIII on Tapatalk 4 beta

That's so crazy Cyberpunk/Shadowrun it hurts.

Obviously, some crazy NIMBYs need to buy something like this an live inside it. No electronics gonna get me here...

• Like 1

Specifically, where did anyone say that Sprint is hitting every site with TD?

sent via my SIII on Tapatalk 4 beta

You must have slept through the big news where Sprint said they are adding TD-LTE to all 38,000+ Sprint sites. On top of the entire Clearwire network. They said they would also expand with additional TD-LTE sites in urban areas in between Sprint NV sites where needed. Huge news.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 4