Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

I was actually referring to an AC router needing to have a much faster processor, because of the 802.11ac specs. And not necessarily, the wifi connection from the router to the phone. So, the router's connection to the ISP and the faster CPU is going to allow faster downloads and uploads speeds for the phone.

Your point would be valid if I were getting the same 35Mbps speeds on my desktop.Hence my ISP connection is not the bottle neck.

If you read my post completely you would see where I said I was able to hit almost 60Mbps on my wireless desktop and media pc.

While Note 2 never going above 35Mbps. 

Sprint will not be comparable to VZW and ATT's coverage with 800. They have to build more towers to do that.

Yes and no. Depending on the area, Sprint's original PCS density deployment of sites makes it easier to get better blanket coverage on 800mhz.

The microwave sites could have had better reliability than fiber only sites if they terminated to another fiber vendor on the other side of the chain.Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I've never seen this setup. In all the Clearwire MW diagrams I have seen over the years there is either one of three setups:

1. No Redundancy, Single Link. Site is directly connected to one site via MW link that gives access to fiber.

2. No Redundancy, Daisy Chain Link. Site is connected in a series of MW links. One end is a terminal end with no connection, the other end is connected to fiber.

3. Redundant Loop. Site is connected in a series of MW links that start at a fiber connection and eventually loop back to the same original site. This way if any one link goes down, traffic can go the other way back to the donor fiber site.

I like the idea of a daisy chain with two separate fiber connections. I'm just not familiar with it. Is this something you currently do?

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For those of you concerned about the hotspot's limitation on speed because of WiFi bottlenecks or the increased ping, I have just successfully been able to get my Netgear Zing Triband Hotspot USB tethered to my laptop.  Just had to manually install the drivers.  With this type of setup, we should not see ping performance reductions, and should be able to see the maximum speeds possible.

:tu:

Robert

EDIT:  On my legacy Sprint 3G site, using the hotspot in WiFi mode I had a 145ms ping and 2.12Mbps down/0.81Mbps up.  Using the the hotspot in tethered mode, I had a 98ms ping and a 2.45Mbps down/1.33Mbps up test.

• Like 11

According to FierceWireless, "New Street Research analyst Jonathan Chaplin wrote in a research note that he expects Sprint's total cell site count to increase to somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 sites, more than offsetting disconnects of old Clearwire sites. Chaplain noted that the estimated new 12,000 to 17,000 Sprint macro sites will replace around 16,000 Clearwire sites that will be decommissioned."

I thought that only line cards, antennas and other equipmentwere going to be added to the existing Clearwire sites. And that none of the Clearwire sites were going to be dismantled.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-sprints-nationwide-25-ghz-lte-network-could-be-boon-tower-companies/2013-08-01

• Like 1

For those of you concerned about the hotspot's limitation on speed because of WiFi bottlenecks or the increased ping, I have just successfully been able to get my Netgear Zing Triband Hotspot USB tethered to my laptop.  Just had to manually install the drivers.  With this type of setup, we should not see ping performance reductions, and should be able to see the maximum speeds possible.

:tu:

Robert

EDIT:  On my legacy Sprint 3G site, using the hotspot in WiFi mode I had a 145ms ping and 2.12Mbps down/0.81Mbps up.  Using the the hotspot in tethered mode, I had a 98ms ping and a 2.45Mbps down/1.33Mbps up test.

So when are you going to take the S4GRU corporate jet to the TD-LTE cities and report your findings? :D

Your point would be valid if I were getting the same 35Mbps speeds on my desktop.Hence my ISP connection is not the bottle neck.

If you read my post completely you would see where I said I was able to hit almost 60Mbps on my wireless desktop and media pc.

While Note 2 never going above 35Mbps. 

I was suggesting that your router's slow cpu might be the problem.

So when are you going to take the S4GRU corporate jet to the TD-LTE cities and report your findings? :D

I am right this very second trying to convince my wife to go back to Denver this weekend.

Robert

• Like 11

I was suggesting that your router's slow cpu might be the problem.

If my router was the problem I still would not be able to get higher speeds on my desktop/media pc's.

Not sure i'm following you.

Anyway don't want to stray too far off topic so i'll drop it.

According to FierceWireless, "New Street Research analyst Jonathan Chaplin wrote in a research note that he expects Sprint's total cell site count to increase to somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 sites, more than offsetting disconnects of old Clearwire sites. Chaplain noted that the estimated new 12,000 to 17,000 Sprint macro sites will replace around 16,000 Clearwire sites that will be decommissioned."

I thought that only line cards, antennas and other equipmentwere going to be added to the existing Clearwire sites. And that none of the Clearwire sites were going to be dismantled.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-sprints-nationwide-25-ghz-lte-network-could-be-boon-tower-companies/2013-08-01

You are holding an independent analyst's estimates as if these are concrete Sprint decisions?  He keeps saying, "I estimate this and I estimate that."  Calm down.

Robert

• Like 1

If my router was the problem I still would not be able to get higher speeds on my desktop/media pc's.

Not sure i'm following you.

Anyway don't want to stray too far off topic so i'll drop it.

I'm just saying that I get almost 2x the speeds on my Note 2 and an AC router.

I am right this very second trying to convince my wife to go back to Denver this weekend.

Robert

I live in Denver, mail it to me and I'll tether my laptop and drive around!

The S4GRU corporate jet otherwise known as the Chevy Suburban?

;)

AJ

• Like 6

I've never seen this setup. In all the Clearwire MW diagrams I have seen over the years there is either one of three setups:

1. No Redundancy, Single Link. Site is directly connected to one site via MW link that gives access to fiber.

2. No Redundancy, Daisy Chain Link. Site is connected in a series of MW links. One end is a terminal end with no connection, the other end is connected to fiber.

3. Redundant Loop. Site is connected in a series of MW links that start at a fiber connection and eventually loop back to the same original site. This way if any one link goes down, traffic can go the other way back to the donor fiber site.

I like the idea of a daisy chain with two separate fiber connections. I'm just not familiar with it. Is this something you currently do?

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Yes. It's very simple to do, depending on how they're doing it. There are several protocols to handle the behind-the-scenes re-routing around failures. I use a combination of OSPF and MPLS, but there are many ways to skin the cat in IT\telecom.

I would like to note that Sprint technically has a daisy-chain with fiber at both ends in my area, they just don't seem to be using it that way. Four sites are linked in a line with microwave. The furthest east is has AT&T as the ILEC and therefore very likely that AT&T is the backhaul provider. It has been running LTE for a very long time, so no doubt the fiber is alive there. Let's call that site D. The microwave licenses go (rounded) D - 100 - C - 200 - B - 300 - A. Fiber is installed at D, the AT&T site that's currently doing LTE. Fiber is likely to be installed at B or A, given how many carriers are at B & A and the way the microwave capacities line up. The microwave gear has been on A, B, C and D for several months, yet no LTE love. If they're having fiber backhaul problems at A or B, they could have used the D - C link to at least bring C online. If they had build the microwave links how I would have, they could have had all sites online through D's fiber connection a long time ago, then brought up the Frontier fiber connection.

As I said, I don't know where they take fiber at, but here's what their network looks like by me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugnk8xxl7qr7o6e/Clear%20licenses.gif

The Internet as a whole works as many links to many places, in case of failure.

You could drop to the same fiber vendor, the best bet, though, is to drop to different fiber vendors to eliminate their infrastructure as a point of failure.

The S4GRU corporate jet otherwise known as the Chevy Suburban?

;)

AJ

If we're being technical, and let's face it, we always are...

It's a GMC Suburban.  ;)

gmc.jpg

Robert

• Like 2

It's official. I'm heading back to Denver tomorrow afternoon. I booked a room at the Renaissance hotel directly under the fastest TD-LTE 2600 site I encountered.

Robert

• Like 26

It's official. I'm heading back to Denver tomorrow afternoon. I booked a room at the Renaissance hotel directly under the fastest TD-LTE 2600 site I encountered.

Robert

Man, that's dedication.   :D

• Like 8

Robert

I wonder if there are differences in wifi performance between different LTE devices when tethered to the triband LTE hotspot?  Well hopefully you can get some nice pics of the Clearwire sites with the TD-LTE equipment installed.

• Like 1

I wonder if there are differences in wifi performance between different LTE devices when tethered to the triband LTE hotspot?  Well hopefully you can get some nice pics of the Clearwire sites with the TD-LTE equipment installed.

My biggest reason for returning is to try my hotspot USB tethered to my laptop from a high speed TD-LTE site.  See if it will exceed the 35Mbps and by how much.

Robert

My biggest reason for returning is to try my hotspot USB tethered to my laptop from a high speed TD-LTE site.  See if it will exceed the 35Mbps and by how much.

Robert

Ahhhh good point and good test especially given the number of antennas that are available on a laptop vs. cell phone that was discussed recently. 

Ahhhh good point and good test especially given the number of antennas that are available on a laptop vs. cell phone that was discussed recently. 

I think you still may be missing my point.  I have turned the WiFi off on my hotspot and directly tethering my laptop to my hotspot via USB, so there is no WiFi interface at all.  It's a direct connection.  When I do this with my VZW hotspot, I can sometimes hit 50Mbps at off peak times.  So this should allow me to exceed 35Mbps WiFi max I am hitting, as now my computer is directly connected to the hotspot's radios.

Robert