Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

On the plus side (even though I still think this is all driven by paranoid xenophobia), pulling the Huawei equipment almost certainly means a faster LTE rollout for Clear, since they'll have to replace whatever Huawei equipment is on the protection sites anyway.

• Like 5

"We remain concerned, however, that these reported steps do not adequately protect our national security interests, especially with respect to Sprint's critical fiber backbone network and Sprint's extensive contracts to provide important telecommunications services for government, law enforcement and defense customers," said Dodge.

Why would Dish quote a Dish executive about national security?  Absolutely no one should care what Dish's concerns are for national security.

• Like 6

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dish-pursues-co-development-of-fixed-mobile-broadband-offering-2013-05-24

Dish has formed a partnership with nTelos... I wonder what implications this has for Sprint, considering Sprint's existing partnership with them. I'd imagine that the true purpose of this is to somehow advance Dish's bid for Sprint...

• Like 1

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dish-pursues-co-development-of-fixed-mobile-broadband-offering-2013-05-24

Dish has formed a partnership with nTelos... I wonder what implications this has for Sprint, considering Sprint's existing partnership with them. I'd imagine that the true purpose of this is to somehow advance Dish's bid for Sprint...

There is no question about it, Dish wants to provide fixed broadband, as well as mobile broadband service to their own customers as well as others. The prodigious amount of spectrum in the 2.5GHz band is great for fixed broadband as well as just hotspot duty in certain venues and certain real dense urban environments. While 2.5GHZ is great for the dense urban jungles of China and Japan, it is ill suited for the suburban savannah of the US. Sell the damn thing to Dish and get it over with. Of course at a good price :).

Edited by bigsnake49

You could almost pick this apart with facts and hardware specifics that other companies use in their equipment:

DISH Network Corporation DISH -0.61% , through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.092 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value(opinion), including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology(opinion). DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world.(DAMN SURE opinion...nothing on Blockbuster that I've ever wanted to watch, EVER..even with it free. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company(but don't look at how leveraged it is as a whole). Visit www.dish.com.

A little reality right upside Charlie's head

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/the-security-sideshow-in-the-fight-over-sprint/?partner=yahoofinance

The Security Sideshow in the Fight Over Sprint BY ROBERT CYRAN

SoftBank and Dish Network have pulled out the stops in their $20 billion-plus battle to control Sprint Nextel. But SoftBank has the edge. Dish’s claim that Japanese ownership of the U.S. cellphone operator is a risk to national security is half-baked and shows boss Charlie Ergen’s desperation.

As part of its $20 billion bid for 70 percent of Sprint, SoftBank has also promised to appoint a director to Sprint’s board – someone vetted by the U.S. government – who will ensure sensitive data is kept out of reach of the Japanese owners.For sure, telecommunications infrastructure can be a matter of national security – all the more so when it carries traffic for the Pentagon and the raft of secretive agencies known by three-letter abbreviations, as Sprint does. Yet while the Chinese might present obvious questions, it’s a much less plausible claim that Japanese ownership of U.S. assets is risky. The countries have been close allies for approaching seven decades.

This sort of arrangement has worked in the past to alleviate any residual concerns. When Singapore’s ST Telemedia acquired a majority stake in Global Crossing a decade ago, it signed an agreement with the federal government under which four board members received U.S. government approval and served as the security committee.

What’s more, SoftBank has promised to rip out networking equipment used by Sprint’s network partner Clearwire and produced by Huawei, a Chinese manufacturer embodying the U.S. Congress’s cybersecurity concerns. Last year, the House Intelligence Committee said telecom companies should avoid using the firm’s equipment because of its close ties to the Chinese government. SoftBank estimates the cost of replacement would be $1 billion.

Dish hasn’t yet made a similar promise alongside its $26 billion offer for all of Sprint, which suggests its complaint isn’t really about national security, but rather about having the weaker position in an M&A fight. Lawmakers and investors alike can afford to ignore the diversion.

Robert Cyran is a columnist for Reuters Breakingviews. For more independent commentary and analysis, visit breakingviews.com.

• Like 5

I wonder how many lobbyists Ergen has in DC right now chasing senators and begging for statements... 

Schumer & Hatch. He's hitting both sides of the aisle.

Yep. All we need now is Anthony Weiner's opinion

He will chime in with a Twitter pic soon to show which way he is hanging...er, leaning.

AJ

• Like 9

Well we know for certain which Senators can be bought on both sides of the aisle. I'm thankful I have no love for Hatch and Schumer, so I will not feel betrayed. It's racism to say you're concerned about a Japanese company because of the mere fact they are Japanese.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 7

I'm thankful I have no love for Hatch and Schumer...

Hatch green chile, though, yum.  But Chimayo red chile still has the upper hand.

AJ

I'm thankful I have no love for Hatch and Schumer...

Hatch green chile, though, yum. But Chimayo red chile still has the upper hand.

AJ

Yes, I definitely prefer Chimayó red over Hatch green.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/how-ottawas-plan-to-foster-wireless-competition-sank/article12005826/?service=mobile

If the incumbents could restrict foreign ownership after VZW gets out of the Vodafone partnership... Of course they'd use the 'MURICA line. ????

I don't understand the foreign ownership thing when Vodafone owns so much of VZW, and T-Mobile is partly owned by Deutsche Telekom AG as well.  

it's because they're asian, not european.  

racist, fear mongering xxxxxxxx.  

I don't understand the foreign ownership thing when Vodafone owns so much of VZW, and T-Mobile is partly owned by Deutsche Telekom AG as well.  

Truth be told, with Japanese culture in mind, I'd trust them before any other Euro-Asian foreign entity...The Japanese heritage and belief system are often more moral-based than even American belief systems...and considerably more-so comparing Japanese politics vs American politics...

• Like 3

I'd buy more into the japanese fears of owning an american company than the american fears of japanese owning an american company.

Am I the only one who remembers that america put the Japanese american people into internment camps during and after WW2?  And then said it was for their protection?  And then ended up having to pay out reparations and apologize for being racist xxxxxxxx?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

so xxxx charlie ergen, and everyone else who wants to continue to hate and spread FUD about our ALLIES.  

• Like 4

Truth be told....its a sad fact that i personally would trust any Japanese company before i would trust the majority of American owned and operated corporations.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

I believe Ergen realizes that if Softbank gets approval, then they are done for. Softbank could close a deal within weeks of the vote, while it would take dish close to a year. I am sure most investors would take the cash now, instead of waiting a year for a few pennies more.

I'd buy more into the japanese fears of owning an american company than the american fears of japanese owning an american company.

Am I the only one who remembers that america put the Japanese american people into internment camps during and after WW2?  And then said it was for their protection?  And then ended up having to pay out reparations and apologize for being racist xxxxxxxx?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

so xxxx charlie ergen, and everyone else who wants to continue to hate and spread FUD about our ALLIES.  

I understand where you are coming from but if you don't mind, please take it easy with the cursing, thank you.

• Like 2

Clear already sells fixed broadband.

Are you sure about that?

If we assume 1Gbps for a 40Mhz channel and 4GBps for 160Mhz, are you willing to pay for all that bandwidth?

Actually, you can get a gig into 30 MHz now. In a couple years, it'll double with more complex MIMO implementations.

I just want to make sure, sprint has to accept Dish's offer right? Dish just can't buy sprint without its consent?

They can with a hostile takeover. See what Carl Icahn did with XO.

If/when Charlie's bid for Sprint fails, he could turn his attention to t-Mobile...

I'm not sure that is something DT would be interested in. I think post-AT&T, DT is all in.

I would like to see unused EBS/BRS (protection sites be damned) and auctioned on a county-by-county basis with bid credits for existing 477 and NBM filers and those under $50M in annual revenue. Whitespace use would be permitted in these bands.

I would like for there to be no auction of any of the TVWS.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Clear already sells fixed broadband.

Are you sure about that?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Clear hub express is fixed broadband. Expedience markets like Carson City/Gardnerville, NV are fixed wireless with phone service too.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1