T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Now that makes a lot more sense! Take that, AJ :)...

One more question. Why can't D&E be used as the PCC?

It's unpaired. Because it is low-band, some of the issues with TDD are amplified, so it can't be used for that. As such, it is specified as a supplementary downlink FDD band, meaning it's always the SCC in carrier aggregation. You also can't use TDD as a primary band for FDD+TDD CA (it's too ugly and messy for coordination, even though in theory it would be simpler because FDD has dedicated frequencies for downlink).

Now that makes a lot more sense! Take that, AJ :)...

Take what?  I told you the same things that Neal did -- but before Neal did and in more concise language -- because I am not paid by the word.

AJ

• Like 2

Anyway, what stopping AT&T from buying Block E from Dish/T-Mobile and then intraband aggregating a 20x10 block of B+C+D+E? Selling their Block A holdings to Dish/T-Mobile?

AT&T has no Lower 700 MHz A block holdings.

And the band 12/17 + band 29 carrier aggregation scheme you propose has not been standardized, probably never will be standardized.  Such would put the uplink in the Lower 700 MHz C block only 6 MHz apart from the downlink in the Lower 700 MHz E block.  Not a good combo.  Plus, it would take up fully two low band ports in the RF transceiver.

AJ

AT&T has no Lower 700 MHz A block holdings.

And the band 12/17 + band 29 carrier aggregation scheme you propose has not been standardized, probably never will be standardized.  Such would put the uplink in the Lower 700 MHz C block only 6 MHz apart from the downlink in the Lower 700 MHz E block.  Not a good combo.  Plus, it would take up fully two low band ports in the RF transceiver.

AJ

I am sorry, I have the band plan all mixed up. Block E (722-728MHz) is adjacent to the downlink of block A(728-734MHz). Then Block E is from 716-722. So it's really D, E and downlink of A that are adjacent to each other that could theoretically be aggregated.

Interesting headline - 

T-Mobile sues Huawei

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2024470044_tmobilehuaweibuzzxml.html

Huawei, which is no longer a T-Mobile phone supplier, utilized the information to build its own testing robot, and now is “using T-Mobile’s stolen robot technology to test non-T-Mobile handsets and improve return rates for handsets developed and sold to other carriers,” says the suit.

Amazing...

Will T-Mobile's network be ready for the influx of new Apple subscribers? Remember that they have only been offering the iPhone since April 2013. Sprint and T-Mobile might steal a bunch of iPhone customers from AT&T and Verizon this fall.

AT&T currently has 39 million iPhone subscribers, compared with 31 million at Verizon, 14 million at Sprint and 4 million at T-Mobile.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-sprint-will-seek-feast-iphone-6-6-plus-release/2014-09-10

• Like 2

Will T-Mobile's network be ready for the influx of new Apple subscribers? Remember that they have only been offering the iPhone since April 2013. Sprint and T-Mobile might steal a bunch of iPhone customers from AT&T and Verizon this fall.

AT&T currently has 39 million iPhone subscribers, compared with 31 million at Verizon, 14 million at Sprint and 4 million at T-Mobile.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-sprint-will-seek-feast-iphone-6-6-plus-release/2014-09-10

T-Mobile has a lot of unused bandwidth right now. The lower subscriber numbers paired with several markets with wideband equals lots of unused bandwidth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wonder how not having band 12 will effect tmobile customers getting the 6

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Most people don't even know what "band 12" is. They just want the new iPhone.
  • Like 4

I wonder how not having band 12 will effect tmobile customers getting the 6

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I don't think it will effect much up front. And Tmo doesn't have a lot of B12 spectrum yet. They are only deploying it in a handful of markets. It just misses that last something that would make it even better for Tmo customers. B12 will be less prevalent come time for the iPhone 6s than B26 on Sprint is now.

I don't think it will effect much up front. And Tmo doesn't have a lot of B12 spectrum yet. They are only deploying it in a handful of markets. It just misses that last something that would make it even better for Tmo customers. B12 will be less prevalent come time for the iPhone 6s than B26 on Sprint is now.

I disagree -- to an extent.  The absence of band 12 support may affect both Sprint and T-Mobile subs in more ways than that.

For Sprint, some of its RRPP partners have deployed their own band 12 networks.  Or, even if they have not, they have Lower 700 MHz A/B/C block spectrum in reserve.  Under the RRPP, Sprint subs should get access to band 12, too, where available.  And in some locales, band 12 deployment may be more prevalent than band 25/26 deployment -- especially in the next year or two.

For T-Mobile, the native coverage implications are obvious.  Where T-Mobile holds Lower 700 MHz A block licenses, iPhone users will not benefit from improved coverage -- particularly in building and rural coverage.  Additionally, T-Mobile may ride Sprint's coattails with some CCA/RRPP members.  But, again, iPhone subs will miss out on any band 12 roaming coverage.

AJ

I disagree -- to an extent.  The absence of band 12 support may affect both Sprint and T-Mobile subs in more ways than that.

For Sprint, some of its RRPP partners have deployed their own band 12 networks.  Or, even if they have not, they have Lower 700 MHz A/B/C block spectrum in reserve.  Under the RRPP, Sprint subs should get access to band 12, too, where available.  And in some locales, band 12 deployment may be more prevalent than band 25/26 deployment -- especially in the next year or two.

For T-Mobile, the native coverage implications are obvious.  Where T-Mobile holds Lower 700 MHz A block licenses, iPhone users will not benefit from improved coverage -- particularly in building and rural coverage.  Additionally, T-Mobile may ride Sprint's coattails with some CCA/RRPP members.  But, again, iPhone subs will miss out on any band 12 roaming coverage.

AJ

I don't take any exception to your points.  I just want to add that RRPP members are adding Sprint spectrum as well.  So Sprint iPhone users will get that benefit.  However, we don't know the timelines of when Sprint spectrum will start to go live on RRPP partner LTE networks.  It could take years.

CCA members not in the Sprint RRPP that use Band 12 significantly or exclusively will certainly feel the brunt of the iPhone's lack of Band 12 support.  Perhaps this will help motivate some more CCA members to join the Sprint RRPP?

• Like 1

I don't take any exception to your points.  I just want to add that RRPP members are adding Sprint spectrum as well.  So Sprint iPhone users will get that benefit.  However, we don't know the timelines of when Sprint spectrum will start to go live on RRPP partner LTE networks.  It could take years.

Yes, of course, RRPP members will be overlaying Sprint spectrum.  But my gut feeling -- based upon years of observation -- is that some RRPP member sites will not get Sprint overlay.  Those sites, for whatever reason, will remain solely band 12.  Having band 12 device capability will be useful in those situations.

AJ

Legend just said the port ratio with Sprint is 4-1...ugh. Other carriers it's 2-1.

August was TMobiles biggest month.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 on the Sprint Network

I'm sure it was huge at first. But consider when those new plans for Sprint went into effect... I'd imagine that stemmed a lot of the tide.

Legend just said the port ratio with Sprint is 4-1...ugh. Other carriers it's 2-1.

August was TMobiles biggest month.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 on the Sprint Network

Good thing that tmo doesn't have contracts, I can see alot of those customer coming back in the next few weeks.

I'm sure it was huge at first. But consider when those new plans for Sprint went into effect... I'd imagine that stemmed a lot of the tide.

Considering that the new plans don't do much for existing subs because existing users can't get the waived line fee promotions I would say it is more likely that the exodus to T-Mobile continues while more people on AT&T or Verizon may consider Sprint.

Edit: Although, once they go on T-Mobile they can easily come back to Sprint for cheaper plans.