T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

So basically you are saying that they don't have any more tricks up their sleeves (aka Uncarrier moves). Something tells me they have quite a few more. Even if they didn't, they would pull a rabbit out of a hat and say its an uncarrier move that no one else has done before and market it as such that many would eat up.

TS

Like the one where they cancelled corporate discounts, thereby *raising* prices, yet T-Mo fanboys lapped it up as another "uncarrier" move. Edited by CaptainSlow
  • Like 7

Like the one where they cancelled corporate discounts, thereby *raising* prices, yet T-Mo fanboys lapped it up as another "uncarrier" move.

You mean like where Sprint changed how discounts on family plans went to only primary line, then went to data only? Sprint might as well do the same and get rid of it altogether.

• Like 1

You mean like where Sprint changed how discounts on family plans went to only primary line, then went to data only? Sprint might as well do the same and get rid of it altogether.

Maybe like that, but I don't recall Sprint going on Twitter and touting it as some revolutionary change that was beneficial to consumers even though it effectively raised their prices.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Maybe like that, but I don't recall Sprint going on Twitter and touting it as some revolutionary change that was beneficial to consumers even though it effectively raised their process.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This.

Robert

• Like 2

Posted in the Sprint - T-Mobile thread

Seems TMO is securing a nice 700MHz network  

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/08/12/t-mobile-snaps-up-more-700mhz-spectrum/

How difficult is it for T-Mobile to add this to existing networks? Is it new hardware on the ground or just adding a panel or just updating software? I don't follow T-Mobile buildouts closely enough to even know if it has phones that can support this.

Posted in the Sprint - T-Mobile thread

How difficult is it for T-Mobile to add this to existing networks? Is it new hardware on the ground or just adding a panel or just updating software? I don't follow T-Mobile buildouts closely enough to even know if it has phones that can support this.

New Flexi Modules and antennas for Nokia markets and new Ericsson AIRs for Ericsson markets. Basically they have to do an overlay of their existing deployments.

• Like 1

Seems TMO is securing a nice 700MHz network  

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/08/12/t-mobile-snaps-up-more-700mhz-spectrum/

Tmo needs it.  But the Tmo fanboys are gobbling this up thinking the list in the articles is statewide exclusive.  The article states that Tmo picked up 700-A Block in the following states:  Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida. Georgia. Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

However, these are mostly in the rural parts of these states.  And a lot of square mileage that Tmo doesn't even currently cover.  Since these licenses have build out requirements, Tmo will likely be adding some Protection Sites in non-strategic areas covered by these licenses.  You know, like they did with Omaha

Robert

EDIT:  Here are the BEA's they are acquiring...Dothan (Alabama, which includes small rural parts of FL/GA), Ft. Smith (Arkansas/Oklahoma), Little Rock (Arkansas), Jonesboro (Arkansas, and the heel of MO), Pueblo (Colorado), Shreveport/Monroe/Alexandria/Lake Charles/Lafayette BEA's (Louisiana), Traverse City & Sault Ste. Marie BEA's (Michigan), Missoula (Montana) and Farmington (New Mexico/Colorado).  A couple of nice pieces for Tmo, like Arkansas, Louisiana and Southern Colorado.  But all the rest are non strategic pieces.  Looking forward to their rural build out!

Edited by S4GRU
Added edit blurb at bottom
  • Like 2

From the TMONEWS comment section. No creator was given. 

I did check it against FierceWireless Verizon and current purchase article to see if the licenses seemed correct. 

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zYsWXH8QR36Q.k_csKbu63eVk

Pink is what they had prior to the most recent purchases, newest purchases in blue/white. Circles are stations broadcasting on channel 51 that have to be moved before T-MO can use 700A.

• Like 11

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zYsWXH8QR36Q.k_csKbu63eVk

Pink is what they had prior to the most recent purchases, newest purchases in blue/white. Circles are stations broadcasting on channel 51 that have to be moved before T-MO can use 700A.

Great map!  Good job,   :goodpost:

Robert

• Like 2

Oh, I just saw it linked somewhere else. It is great though. They have more 51 interference than I was expecting. 

In some of the most important areas of all.  San Francisco (the whole Bay Area), Los Angeles, Sacramento, Denver, Austin, Orlando, Atlanta, Kansas City, Cincinnati, New York City and Boston are all no go for Tmo on 700MHz because of current Channel 51 interference.  About the only major metros Tmo can do 700-A in is Detroit, Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Philadelphia, DC and Miami.  Possibly Tampa, that one's close.

Tmo has to do the best that they can do for itself.  And I would do exactly the same thing in their shoes.  But it's not all roses, either.  Some major stinkers in the whole deal.

Robert

If I was running T-Mobile I would sell to Dish. Between Dish's 700 E block and buying the rest of 700 A block you have total of 24MHz of 700Mhz. Forget about 600Mhz auction. Hell if Dish sues to stop the Direct TV/AT&T tie up, they can probably get Block D for cheap from AT&T. Dish is spectrum rich to the point where T-Mobile does not need to bid in any of the upcoming auctions. Not only that but Dish brings some cash flow and video content. It will be a pretty tough combination. Sprint will be left as the only pure wireless play. Everybody else would have some kind of media play.

Edited by bigsnake49

If I was running T-Mobile I would sell to Dish. Between Dish's 700 E block and buying the rest of 700 A block you have total of 24MHz of 700Mhz. Forget about 600Mhz auction. Hell if Dish sues to stop the Direct TV/AT&T tie up, they can probably get Block D for cheap from AT&T. Dish is spectrum rich to the point where T-Mobile does not need to bid in any of the upcoming auctions. Not only that but Dish brings some cash flow and video content. It will be a pretty tough combination. Sprint will be left as the only pure wireless play. Everybody else would have some kind of media play.

I'm glad you're not running T-Mobile. Selling to Dish would be stupid. First of all, 700MHz E block is pretty much useless, since it is unpaired. A block plus E block doesn't equal 24MHz, it equals 18MHz. Both 700MHz D and E blocks are unpaired, so at best, they could be used for SDL. However, SDL isn't very useful if your customer base is moving toward as much uploading as they are downloading (as Neville Ray has said a few times before).

Dish's video business is slowly declining, but the declines have been accelerating every quarter. The costs of gaining access to content are huge, and they would impair the business significantly for years to come. You don't need to "own" media to make a media play. There are smarter ways to do it that don't impair the business. Partnerships, for example, are what permit T-Mobile TV to not drain the business dry of its money in content acquisition. It's someone else's problem.

I'm glad you're not running T-Mobile. Selling to Dish would be stupid. First of all, 700MHz E block is pretty much useless, since it is unpaired. A block plus E block doesn't equal 24MHz, it equals 18MHz. Both 700MHz D and E blocks are unpaired, so at best, they could be used for SDL. However, SDL isn't very useful if your customer base is moving toward as much uploading as they are downloading (as Neville Ray has said a few times before).

Dish's video business is slowly declining, but the declines have been accelerating every quarter. The costs of gaining access to content are huge, and they would impair the business significantly for years to come. You don't need to "own" media to make a media play. There are smarter ways to do it that don't impair the business. Partnerships, for example, are what permit T-Mobile TV to not drain the business dry of its money in content acquisition. It's someone else's problem.

I was actually counting ATT's D block as well in the 24MHz. You have plenty of uplink bandwidth in other places. Give me your downlink and I will give you my uplink. Is that why the 1695-1710Mhz which is going to be used for uplink in the coming AWS-3 auction only has ~$500M reserve, whereas the paired spectrum has a $10B reserve? You would think that people would be rushing to buy uplink spectrum if it was so valuable.

Looks like T-Mobile is going to start cracking down on users who illegally tether for P2P purposes:

"T-mobile has identified customers who are heavy data users and are engaged in peer-to-peer file sharing, and tethering outside of T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions (T&C). This results in a negative data network experience for T-Mobile customers. Beginning August 17, T-Mobile will begin to address customers who are conducting activities outside of T-Mobile's T&Cs"

/via

• Like 6

Looks like T-Mobile is going to start cracking down on users who illegally tether for P2P purposes:

/via

Will the fanboys call this another brilliant uncarrier move???

• Like 5

/via

It's one of those things that must be done in a shared wireless environment. Heck, some home broadband connections can't even handle that.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

/via

Feminism+_f1cb3213249c849827956a72442401

I for one am happy this is happening. Silence the trolls once and for all. End their reign of data abusing.

• Like 3

It's one of those things that must be done in a shared wireless environment. Heck, some home broadband connections can't even handle that.

You'll never get into the TB club with that attitude!  :rasp:

• Like 3

You'll never get into the TB club with that attitude!  :rasp:

I have a prediction. At some point, T-moible is going to reserve the right to throttle the top 5% (or everyone) of users on congested sites/sectors. "T-Mobile, the end of unlimited" they will call it. #legereliedtous:'(

• Like 1