T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Pretty easy to do with back haul already in place.

I see you throw this around non-stop.

Yeah, shame on T-Mobile for doing the backhaul years ago in a timely manner. They should had let their network deteriorate so that when they decided to do LTE and had to deal with a complete network overhaul while their customers suffered then you could applaud them.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Yeah, shame on T-Mobile for doing the backhaul years ago in a timely manner. They should had let their network deteriorate so that when they decided to do LTE and had to deal with a complete network overhaul while their customers suffered then you could applaud them.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

No, the point is that comparing the speed of Sprint's LTE rollout to T-Mobile's LTE rollout isn't an apples to apples comparison. Sprint is doing it on nearly EVERY site (even their rural ones unlike TMO which is still 2G EDGE in like half of their territory), and they aren't just adding LTE, they are upgrading their 3G equipment as part of the process and running proper backhaul.

• Like 1

I was just going to say...what is up with the 2 line paragraphs.  I had to wheel scroll on my mouse several times just to get down to the end of the post.  Can't imagine being on a 4 inch phone and having to scroll like crazy.

Maybe he was on legacy 3g and only had bandwidth for 2 lines at a time  :P

• Like 1

And you seem to give T-Mobile way too much credit.  Get some historical perspective.  Until about 2009, T-Mobile data speeds were garbage because T-Mobile did not even have widespread W-CDMA.  That several year lag behind the other operators bought T-Mobile time to run advanced backhaul to its sites in metro markets.

Now, T-Mobile benefits from being the big loser just a few years ago.  As a parallel, the Dolphins getting the number one overall draft pick because of having the worst record in the league, then parlaying that into a Super Bowl win would be a triumph.  But it would not make the Dolphins a great team, as they have basically sucked for the last 10 years.

AJ

• Like 2

I was just going to say...what is up with the 2 line paragraphs. I had to wheel scroll on my mouse several times just to get down to the end of the post. Can't imagine being on a 4 inch phone and having to scroll like crazy.

You don't have to imagine. I just had to do it, and it was a long scroll.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

TMO is adding LTE to 37k sites, sprint initially 39k. TMO has additional 15k rural sites so sprint's initial deployment is comparable to TMO's.

No, the point is that comparing the speed of Sprint's LTE rollout to T-Mobile's LTE rollout isn't an apples to apples comparison. Sprint is doing it on nearly EVERY site (even their rural ones unlike TMO which is still 2G EDGE in like half of their territory), and they aren't just adding LTE, they are upgrading their 3G equipment as part of the process and running proper backhaul.

That is fine. Look...I get that you are in Hawaii and Sprint NV has barely started over there and is probably going to be awhile before decent 3G and LTE coverage is available in Hawaii. I don't necessarily blame you for switching to Tmobile at this point at least for the next 2 years on another contract just so you have the data speeds.

Have you switched to Tmobile yet because it sounds like you really like their service? I mean you didn't really need to write a huge rant on this. Just choose the wireless provider that makes you happy and move on.

Yes I have been with T-mobile for the past 3 months. And yes

I am very happy with their service.

I agree T-mobile had garbage speeds a couple of years back.

But for the areas with LTE now ? Speeds are pretty fast.

Sprint will be really competitive once they completed merging

It's synergies (Sprint, softbank, clearwire) in the future. Only question is how long will it take?

It will also be interesting to see what type of new plans there will be for Sprint?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

I have not had the time nor the patience to respond to this post until now. So, here goes...

You want T-mobile to suffer Because the the ceo in your opinion made some comments That hurt your feelings?

John Legere is little but a smack talker. I have no idea how old you are, but that seems to appeal to immature twenty somethings. However, it is no way for a CEO to conduct himself. It is not "refreshing," as some of the T-Mobile fans in the tech press put it. Smack talk is just a bunch of hyperbole.

You can call me names all you want. If it makes you feel better. I don't go around Calling people ignorant customers Like you.

I have not called you any names. I judged you an "ignorant consumer," as I have a number of other posters. So, that is a criticism, not an insult. If a supervisor deemed you a "poor worker," would that be an insult? Again, I do not know how old you are, but difficulty accepting criticism is a common trait among the twenty something generation that grew up in the "everybody gets a ribbon" environment.

Can you say props to T-mobile? I understand edge is still the the Primary network in rural areas across the nation. But they are refarming this spectrum as we speak and upgrading to Hspa.

Provide a source to substantiate that claim. T-Mobile is making progress in overlaying W-CDMA in a few random areas. But it is nowhere near the entire network. Unlike Sprint, T-Mobile has made no moves thus far to extend 3G/4G airlinks to the mass of its rural network. With Network Vision, Sprint is now doing that for the second time.

From what I gather T-mobile started their fiber optic backhaul in 2007. Which sprint should have done also instead of thinking microwave antennas would be their answer at the time.

You think that Sprint uses primarily microwave backhaul? Wrong. Sprint has primarily used T1 backhaul, and that is being replaced with advanced backhaul of various types.  As I wrote in another post, T-Mobile somewhat lucked into the opportunity to deploy advanced backhaul to its urban sites because it was so many years behind the other three major operators in 3G deployment.  Back to Sprint, it did not sleep on advanced backhaul.  Rather, it turned that responsibility over to Clearwire in 2008.  So, Sprint was not lagging behind T-Mobile.  That Clearwire fell short of its responsibility is not Sprint's fault.

If you read up on T-mobile lately? This last quarter was one if their best ever? They gained 1.1 million customers.

Sure, years after the other operators, T-Mobile finally gets the iPhone last quarter. That explains a lot. But it does not tell the whole story. Look at other metrics, such as ARPU, from last quarter. Not so hot.

AJ

• Like 3

Yes I have been with T-mobile for the past 3 months. And yes

I am very happy with their service.

I agree T-mobile had garbage speeds a couple of years back.

But for the areas with LTE now ? Speeds are pretty fast.

Sprint will be really competitive once they completed merging

It's synergies (Sprint, softbank, clearwire) in the future. Only question is how long will it take?

It will also be interesting to see what type of new plans there will be for Sprint?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

Wonderful! Now please go and enjoy the wonderful service that you're getting from T-Mobile. From what I understand NV will be complete by the Middle of 2014. Might take until the end of 2014 to fill in with 2600MHz.

I can see that T-Mobile is trying to position itself as the speed king of the urban jungle, but as some have pointed out, what do they classify as urban? St Augustine may be considered a small town, but we are the oldest city in the country and we get a massive amount if tourists who visit all of our museums and shops. We have a college here that brings in people from all over the country. We have the World Golf Hall of Fame with 4 championship golf courses. We have the only IMAX theater in the region. We have a super Target, a super Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Yes, I drive by cows to get to my house, but once you pass those cows, I live in a community where the average house price is $450,000. I got rid of T-Mobile because once I got home, I had emergency calls only and I was tired of overpaying AT&T for a landline. At least Sprint has the good sense to have a tower right in the middle of both my community and the one across the street. I guess Sprint realizes the value of having service where they feel customers would need the service...despite being in the middle of a field of cows.

Edit...not to mention that tower has 4G LTE :-D

• Like 4

450,000? That's nothing. The average house price in Brooklyn is 570,000 and the average in Manhattan is over 1 Million dollars. And because of gentrification, prices are being driven higher in Brooklyn. It's getting so bad tt when I come home along with my mail, I get offers to buy my home from local real estate people because it is about 10 minutes away from the Barclays Center. There's a Target but NYC has not a single WalMart.

• Like 1

Since Vodafone is going to get between $100-130B from the sale of their share to Verizon, Could they turn around and buy T-Mobile USA from DT? Invest mucho money in the network? Or will they have to sign a non-compete with Verizon?

Edited by bigsnake49

Since Vodafone is going to get between $100-130B from the sale of their share to Verizon, Could they turn around and buy T-Mobile USA from DT? Invest mucho money in the network? Or will they have to sign a non-compete with Verizon?

That would be hilarious.

• Like 2

T Mobile has put up a bunch of shops labeled as Metro PC s. Trying to sell all you can eat for $40 a month. This last month at least 18 towers have went up in the area for LTE in Toledo... Unfortunately the s#$% is faster than sprint. Which would be the last in the area..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Could Vodafone buy out DT's 70-ish percent ownership of T-Mobile? In theory, sure.

But I don't really see any good reason for them to do this. As you mentioned, they'd be directly competing with their own prior investment

Could Vodafone buy out DT's 70-ish percent ownership of T-Mobile? In theory, sure.

But I don't really see any good reason for them to do this. As you mentioned, they'd be directly competing with their own prior investment

But what the heck are they going to do with all that money? Pay down debt? Blech !!! Invest it in Europen networks? Europe is still mired in crisis. They have to do some M&A.

But what the heck are they going to do with all that money? Invest it in Europen networks? Europe is still mired in crisis.

According to CBC, yes. It's rumored that they want to expand in Europe. (much like Verizon would like to expand into Canada)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/08/29/business-vodaphone-verizon.html

But what the heck are they going to do with all that money? Pay down debt? Blech !!! Invest it in Europen networks? Europe is still mired in crisis. They have to do some M&A.

A dividend. They're also buying cable networks so they can bundle services like with Kabel Deutchsland.

T Mobile has put up a bunch of shops labeled as Metro PC s. Trying to sell all you can eat for $40 a month. This last month at least 18 towers have went up in the area for LTE in Toledo... Unfortunately the s#$% is faster than sprint. Which would be the last in the area..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Why is that unfortunate? Competition is always good.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an actual problem with T-mobile handoff from EDGE back to HSPA+ or HSPA

or from LTE to HSPA+/HSPA

speeds are held at round 0.44mbps

once toggling airplane mode on/off you return good speeds again on the same exact tower reporting 'slow' speeds

There is an actual problem with T-mobile handoff from EDGE back to HSPA+ or HSPA

or from LTE to HSPA+/HSPA

speeds are held at round 0.44mbps

once toggling airplane mode on/off you return good speeds again on the same exact tower reporting 'slow' speeds

I've heard about this, but I've never experienced it. Are we talking CSFB as well coming from HSPA+ to LTE? 

There is a 15.5Mbps annoying rate limit over HSPA+42 affecting some users, LTE not affected. There is a temporary bypass for that.

• 1 month later...

Ouch! I wish Sprint speeded it up. TMo is making them look pretty bad... In less than six months they've accomplished more than Sprint has in twice as long :td:

Tmo build out is very different than what sprint is going.

• Like 2