EVO 4G LTE Android Jelly Bean Update 3.15.651.16

wjrandon

I have that feeling as well due to several reports saying it has done nothing for them.

It's kinda like the PRL update placebo effect a lot of people get.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Then what would be the best test then? In a market that is not as built out yet?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

A lot of this "new update fixing LTE" talk seems to be a lot of speculation. I mean how can you tell the difference between the update fixing things or maybe the network in your area was strengthened. A fix as big as this would not be omitted from the update notes as far as I would know. It seems like people are suffering a placebo effect from the newest update or perhaps wishful thinking.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

as far as I can tell my phone is actually connecting to lte on its own. I tested out by a confirmed site and the phone connected in less then a couple seconds when I got to the location.

If this is just a placebo effect its pretty good. Before it never connected to any lte at all.

-Luis

• Like 2

as far as I can tell my phone is actually connecting to lte on its own. I tested out by a confirmed site and the phone connected in less then a couple seconds when I got to the location.

If this is just a placebo effect its pretty good. Before it never connected to any lte at all.

-Luis

yup same here

For me there wasn't any type of placebo effect. My EVO caught on to the weak LTE signal way before my Dad's Galaxy Note 2. After running a few speed tests, I realized I was far from the 4G site, only pulling about 1 Mbps down and my phone switched to 3G which at the time was faster because not only was I 50 feet from the tower, but also because the tower had been 3G NV'd. I think that in this way, the EVO may be better than the other 4G phones. Would you rather have slow 4G or fast 3G.

Then what would be the best test then? In a market that is not as built out yet?

In an area where nothing has changed before and after the update.

Not sure why y'all get hung up on the built out or not thing. No market will probably ever have 100% coverage for a loonnnggg time.

Loving JB untill i tried to use "fox fi"!!!! Its giving me the error msg like when u try to use the hot spot but its blocked.... With ICS worked like a charm!!!!!

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

I think the best way to test it would be to take an evo lte and another lte phone and factory reset them both. Then take them to a place with no LTE at all. Next take them to a place with a weak lte signal. Then pay close attention to which connects first. Also note how long and how consistently they stay connected to the weak signal.

Edited by Shahal
  • Like 1

No placebo effect for me, I can give you documented areas where the evo did not connect or would not reconnect before the upgrade and is now connecting. Also it will reconnect to LTE where in the past one would have to toggle to get it to connect.

• Like 1

No placebo effect for me, I can give you documented areas where the evo did not connect or would not reconnect before the upgrade and is now connecting. Also it will reconnect to LTE where in the past one would have to toggle to get it to connect.

Only thing is you never know a tower could have changed.

Only real way would be to take an upgraded EVO, non upgraded one, and S3 and look at all three side by side.

• Like 1

Loving JB untill i tried to use "fox fi"!!!! Its giving me the error msg like when u try to use the hot spot but its blocked.... With ICS worked like a charm!!!!!

Any clue anyone???

Only real way would be to take an upgraded EVO, non upgraded one, and S3 and look at all three side by side.

Would be very interested to see those results.

Yes, but I don't think they could have upgraded every tower. My customer experience is much better with the upgrade. You can tell me that it is the firmware upgrade that made the difference, and I could not disagree. All I know is I am connecting to 4G and reconnecting to 4G more than I did before the upgrade.

• Like 1

Would be very interested to see those results.

My experience is not tied to 1 tower. I drove around the metro kc area, so it would not have been 1 tower that made the difference. Granted I'm in an area where there are alot of 4G towers. It could be different if the coverage is where the distance between the towers is at the maximum.

Actually I dumped CM10 because it's not yet 100% stable. There's nothing wrong with the stock rom.

I just read this whole thread to see if anybody went from CM10 back to Sense. I got my answer, but I should have started at the last post and worked backward. :pinch:

I think I'll stick with CM10.

Felt like it was running a bit buggy... But removed the go launcher and everything.... Except the foxfi app is working A-Ok

Actually I dumped CM10 because it's not yet 100% stable. There's nothing wrong with the stock rom.

CM10 is pretty stable actually. Deck's build on XDA works really well.

Except for the occasional bluetooth hiccups and lost data connectivity when switching between towers. Don't get me wrong, Deck's ROM became more usable for me once he managed to fix the reversed microphone bug that forced you to use only the noise canceling microphone with Google Now. However, bluetooth and mobile connectivity are two big issues CM10 has yet to fully squash on the Evo 4G LTE.

IMO, right now for the best Jellybean experience you can't beat a stock ROM.

CM10 is pretty stable actually. Deck's build on XDA works really well.

Since the update scrolling in Chrome has been very laggy, not smooth.

I have tried a hard reset and re-installing Chrome but still having the same issues.

I am now using the stock browser and its really smooth.

Anything else I can try?

Felt like it was running a bit buggy... But removed the go launcher and everything.... Except the foxfi app is working A-Ok

The app you are referring to is a work-around app used to bypass Sprint's account restrictions and offerings - and as such it is against the ToS of this site to offer any support.

• Like 3

Any clue anyone???

Discussing apps that circumvent Sprint's control of tethering is prohibited in the site rules. I expect all conversation regarding this matter to cease or there will be disciplinary action.

Illegal, Unethical or Violative Content. It is not permissible to post content that helps to encourage or facilitate the breaking of, or circumvention of, laws, statutes, Terms & Conditions of U.S. domestic governments, companies or organizations. Some examples would include instruction how to break the law, evade law enforcement or how to bypass wireless companies network management controls.

Edit: I see tt0h beat me to it... now that is good peer moderation :)

• Like 2

Since the update scrolling in Chrome has been very laggy, not smooth.

I have tried a hard reset and re-installing Chrome but still having the same issues.

I am now using the stock browser and its really smooth.

Anything else I can try?

Hmmm, Chrome has been flawless for me. Clear the cache and turn on Forced 2D rendering in the Developers settings and see if that helps any.

I have that feeling as well due to several reports saying it has done nothing for them.

It's kinda like the PRL update placebo effect a lot of people get.

Well FWIW I had someone post saying they took their EVO on stock JB and their GF's EVO on stock ICS and the JB device picked up LTE while the other sat on 3G and had to airplane toggle to get LTE I believe...

• Like 1

For me I've noticed 4G picking up a lot quicker. Was just up through Topeka and Manhattan. I still don't think my EVO LTE holds it quite as long as the S3 does but once coverage improves every where it should be fine for me until my next upgrade.

Well FWIW I had someone post saying they took their EVO on stock JB and their GF's EVO on stock ICS and the JB device picked up LTE while the other sat on 3G and had to airplane toggle to get LTE I believe...

That is very good to hear! Thanks.