EVO 4G LTE Android Jelly Bean Update 3.15.651.16

wjrandon

Please define hard reset for me MM.. Do you mean the old style back to scratch where everything must be reloaded, or what Sprint now calls a Hard Reset? Help me understand you, please!

If I had big issues I'd try a few things.

1) full power cycle(not a restart but power off then power on)

2) full factory reset and start from scratch

3) if rooted I'd flash previous backup to see if problem was there too

4) depending on issues seen I'd start uninstalling apps till it went away or start installing one by one to see if one is root cause of issues and look in my systempanel app from marker to see if any apps are likely culprit...

5) call sprint and ask for a new one bc mine is borked

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for clearing up the Hard Reset definition question. What I thought - wipe the slate and reload everything. May come to that. Can't figure why the update "broke" WIFI in the first place. But I'm not as knowledgeable with phones as computers.

Also, you're 100% right on about Juice Defender. Should have been more clear - the way I use it is simple. Most basic control and that's it. Sorry!

Thanks for clearing up the Hard Reset definition question. What I thought - wipe the slate and reload everything. May come to that. Can't figure why the update "broke" WIFI in the first place. But I'm not as knowledgeable with phones as computers.

Also, you're 100% right on about Juice Defender. Should have been more clear - the way I use it is simple. Most basic control and that's it. Sorry!

When shifting a full "generation" of android, apps can retain portions from the previous version, and cause issues. I do a factory reset often. It keeps everything fresh, and improves performance.

For those complaining about minor issues here and there, have you performed a hard reset? This wasn't exactly a minor update so a hard rest should be performed.

I was hoping to avoid this,but I gave in this morning. It fixed all the issues I was having.

Edited by echo4papa
  • Like 2

Thanks for clearing up the Hard Reset definition question. What I thought - wipe the slate and reload everything.

It is my understanding that a hard reset is done through the Boot loader menu. This method prevents the OS from loading.

Power off device, hold volume down button then power button at the same time. Device boots up, release power but still hold down the volume down. The menu will appear and them use the volume down button to select "factory reset". Confirm selection by pressing the power button.

App back up and restore can he helpful but I prefer to reinstall just in case it was an app giving me the issue.

I was hoping to avoid this,but I gave in this morning. It fixed all the issues I was having.

Glad that worked out for you, its difficult to start from scratch but I wish more people would do that before they start posting about issues.

• Like 3

Is it happening in all applications. I use swype mostly for texting and it is working fine. I tried the swiftkey flow beta, but it didn't work with most of the google apps.

When I Text, Just No Microphone. everything Else No AutoSpacing And CapitalizingEverything. Used Stock Browser.

It is my understanding that a hard reset is done through the Boot loader menu. This method prevents the OS from loading.

Power off device, hold volume down button then power button at the same time. Device boots up, release power but still hold down the volume down. The menu will appear and them use the volume down button to select "factory reset". Confirm selection by pressing the power button.

App back up and restore can he helpful but I prefer to reinstall just in case it was an app giving me the issue.

When you select the option to do a factory reset, it automatically reboots into the bootloader and initiates a reset.

Other than a few widgets and options that I normally use but are now missing from this version of sense, this jellybean update has given new life to my evo. The responsiveness of this device is ridiculous, haven't tested lte performance yet, but I will be able to in a few days when I get back to atlanta.

• Like 3

Is anyone having an issue where when the screen goes blank, pressing the power button does not always wake it up? Did not have this problem before the upgrade.

No issues with that at all for me, did you hard reset? You better answer yes to that question. :)

No issues with that at all for me, did you hard reset? You better answer yes to that question. :)

I did not, I have had no other issues, but it will be my next step if it doesn't clear up. My phone just sent a error report to HTC!

• Like 1

That's indeed the drill for a hard reset.. hoping to avoid it but looks like the only way! As a computer tech I always advised clients to do a Clean Install of Windows @ every six months. Normally cured all ills. Does the Titanium backup/restore work on non rooted phones. Thought it was just for rooted. I experienced the screen going dark as well, but a profile uupdate and a restart cured that. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I did not, I have had no other issues, but it will be my next step if it doesn't clear up. My phone just sent a error report to HTC!

After a shutdown and restart, I have not had anymore issues with it.

That's indeed the drill for a hard reset.. hoping to avoid it but looks like the only way! As a computer tech I always advised clients to do a Clean Install of Windows @ every six months. Normally cured all ills. Does the Titanium backup/restore work on non rooted phones. Thought it was just for rooted. I experienced the screen going dark as well, but a profile uupdate and a restart cured that. Thanks for the advice everyone!

It does require you to be rooted. If for nothing else I'd root just for titanium backup. It's a necessity for me.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

• Like 3

Okay so I went out today, and I can confirm that the update seems to have "fixed" the LTE issue. I got LTE about three times, even in places that weren't recorded in Sensorly, that I normally travel through. I'm very happy with this update, haven't really gotten any problems or bugs so far.

Hope the update has fixed issues for other people. :P

-Luis

A lot of this "new update fixing LTE" talk seems to be a lot of speculation. I mean how can you tell the difference between the update fixing things or maybe the network in your area was strengthened. A fix as big as this would not be omitted from the update notes as far as I would know. It seems like people are suffering a placebo effect from the newest update or perhaps wishful thinking.

Shahal > I couldn't agree with you more. As a retired computer tech, I'd love to have a rooted EVO LTE running the CM10 rom. Only trouble is I don't know enough about phone tech to feel comfortable rooting it, and don't know anyone competent enough to do it for me. It's my only phone, and I can't afford to end up bricking my warranty. Heavy Sigh...

I gotta say, JB is running great on my phone. My only issue now is the bluetooth disconnection problem with my plantronics headset. The BT connection works fine the car, but for some reason, drops when I'm using my headset on a call.

Hard reset should be part of the update, especially when going to the next version of android... I can see no reset on a maintenance update, but Sprint's tech support must be slammed with people calling with issues related to this.

• Like 2

A lot of this "new update fixing LTE" talk seems to be a lot of speculation. I mean how can you tell the difference between the update fixing things or maybe the network in your area was strengthened. A fix as big as this would not be omitted from the update notes as far as I would know. It seems like people are suffering a placebo effect from the newest update or perhaps wishful thinking.

I have that feeling as well due to several reports saying it has done nothing for them.

It's kinda like the PRL update placebo effect a lot of people get.

Sent from a little old Note 2

• Like 1