EVO 4G LTE Android Jelly Bean Update 3.15.651.16

wjrandon

That is very good to hear! Thanks.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Its one instance though ya know. But like you I take most comments on the matter with a giant grain of salt as usually there are a hundred other things at hand that could cause the difference in experience...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It would be really nice if sprint/HTC would comment on it. The update notes they gave are very bare bones. Even if they said "no we haven't fixed it yet" it would at least be a definitive answer and not leave everyone speculating.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

The app you are referring to is a work-around app used to bypass Sprint's account restrictions and offerings - and as such it is against the ToS of this site to offer any support.

No prob..

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

I have an Evo LTE running MeanROM 6.5. I updated radios only from the new JB update (waiting for a stable release of the MeanBean ROM).

I recently upgraded my wife from her OG Evo to a Galaxy S3. I also have been carrying a new Galaxy Nexus (new line on my account, present for my brother, I am, uhhhh, testing and updating it. . . yeah ;) ).

After the radio update to my Evo, it is picking up 4g a lot faster in Westminster, MD than it did in the past. I am constantly looking at my phone when I am in the area and paying attention to if it picks up 4G without any airplane mode intervention. I have been carrying the GN as well, doing the same thing. Post radio update for my LTEvo, it has been on par with the GN (within seconds of each other) in terms of connecting to LTE.

Annoying my wife, anytime I notice 4G on my phone, I ask if her S3 has 4g. There have been times when I have had it and hers didnt (but connected shortly thereafter) and times when we both did.

the TL;DR version: I know LTE is better on my phone with the radio firmware update.

So I've noticed a pretty significant drop in battery life since doing the update. My phone has been unplugged for 4 hours and its been sitting on my desk since I got to work this morning and I haven't used it much but its down to 74% battery life where normally I used to be around 85% at this time. The "Connections Optimizer" that they added has exponentially improved the EVO's ability to connect to LTE on its own, but I'm thinking that same connections optimizer is destroying my battery life. Has anyone else noticed a difference in battery life since the update?

I was having a battery drain problem also, so I looked at the settings-> power-> usage, and found a widget that was using 80% of the battery. I deleted it and battery usage seem to be back to normal, although I see google maps is the highest usage now and I haven't even used it.

Yea there's a thread about Google Nav crashing on Android Central. Someone may have found a workaround but I haven't tried it yet to see if it works. http://forums.androi...tml#post2443117

Originally Posted by zqual viewpost-right.png

I may have found a fix, I uninstalled google maps and then reinstalled updates to google maps. I did not open maps portion but only navigation. Also, I did not download any maps for offline use as well. I used the navigation last night for a 40 minute ride to my destination and then home and did not crash or freeze once. Also, if you are worrying about loosing bookmarked places, Google saves them so they will come back along with your recent history. Hopefully this will be a solution until Google/HTC come out with an update. O and the Group photo addition in the camera is really cool!

Radios only is bad. You should do the other pieces of firmware too. Sent from a little old Note 2

Probably bad wording on my part. I used the first firmware download that includes everything except recovery (already using twrp), kernel (already using Meanrom 1.809 OC), and hboot (def dont want some new locked down hboot) here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2045935

Probably bad wording on my part. I used the first firmware download that includes everything except recovery (already using twrp), kernel (already using Meanrom 1.809 OC), and hboot (def dont want some new locked down hboot) here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2045935

Gotcha... Then you are good.

Sent from a little old Note 2

So I've noticed a pretty significant drop in battery life since doing the update. My phone has been unplugged for 4 hours and its been sitting on my desk since I got to work this morning and I haven't used it much but its down to 74% battery life where normally I used to be around 85% at this time. The "Connections Optimizer" that they added has exponentially improved the EVO's ability to connect to LTE on its own, but I'm thinking that same connections optimizer is destroying my battery life. Has anyone else noticed a difference in battery life since the update?

Dissable connections optimizer. Furthermore, go to apps, all appps, then find connections optimizer and disable it. It will completely dissapear from the network's menu.

In addition, google now uses more resourses as it periodically updates your location if you have it enabled. Try going into google maps, then go to settings, then turn off location history. this seemed to help some people in getting back to satisfactory battery consumption.

I was having a battery drain problem also, so I looked at the settings-> power-> usage, and found a widget that was using 80% of the battery. I deleted it and battery usage seem to be back to normal, although I see google maps is the highest usage now and I haven't even used it.

Yes. Google maps is running in background as it seems that it's being used by google now (if you have google now actve) as it periodically monitors and reports your location...

Hmmm, Chrome has been flawless for me. Clear the cache and turn on Forced 2D rendering in the Developers settings and see if that helps any.

Thanks, I just tried your suggestion but no change. Chrome just does not scroll smoothly like the stock browswer, its kind of jittery.

I believe connections optimizer has nothing to do with improved LTE performance. It is strictly wifi searching tool, and personally, I completely dissabled it from the app menu. To me is another app that uses up resources and battery... Besides, I like to determine when to connect to wifi at my own will.

• Like 1

Thanks, I just tried your suggestion but no change. Chrome just does not scroll smoothly like the stock browswer, its kind of jittery.

Maybe try uninstalling chrome and re-install it. To me it works as it did before....

(The one thing I noticed, even with ICS, chrome uses quite a bit of RAM with all the sync function and all.... )...

Overal my JB experience has been good. My phone feels a lot snapier and stable.

There are a couple of things that I don't like and /or having issues with:

1) Google Navigation is broken after JB update. Keeps force closing after a couple of minutes of use.

2) When I toggle my phone to vibrate when I'm at work, when I get a text message notification it does not vibrate. I have to go to text message settings, and manually turn vibrate notification ON. However, when I toggle my phone to normal ringer mode, when I receive a text message, it alerts me with audible tone as well as vibrate.... It seems that it does not automatically know if the phone is in vibrate or normal ringer mode for text message notification. (It's kind of anoying for me)......

• Like 1

1) Google Navigation is broken after JB update. Keeps force closing after a couple of minutes of use.

I have had made it work for a while after clearing map cache.

Logcat seems to say it ran out of heap space.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Dissable connections optimizer. Furthermore, go to apps, all appps, then find connections optimizer and disable it. It will completely dissapear from the network's menu.

In addition, google now uses more resourses as it periodically updates your location if you have it enabled. Try going into google maps, then go to settings, then turn off location history. this seemed to help some people in getting back to satisfactory battery consumption.

I have noticed that the GPS will auto enable at times. i assume that is a function of Google Now.

Maybe try uninstalling chrome and re-install it. To me it works as it did before....

(The one thing I noticed, even with ICS, chrome uses quite a bit of RAM with all the sync function and all.... )...

I have tried that too and still does the same thing.

I think I might try just doing a factory restore instead of the backup & restore, dont know if that will make a difference.

I have noticed that the GPS will auto enable at times. i assume that is a function of Google Now.

The trick to HTC Sense is to basically turn off everything you don't need. By default it seems Sense likes to have every process and account function running full throttle. IMO I like having things sync on demand rather than auto syncing in the background. Saves quite a bit of battery.

I have tried that too and still does the same thing.

I think I might try just doing a factory restore instead of the backup & restore, dont know if that will make a difference.

Yes, hard reset but don't restore anything, instead just download whatever apps you need from the market directly and see if you are still having the same issues.

The one thing I like about the new update is when the battery reaches 14 %, the power saver feature turns on automatically to conserve batt. Then, as you charge the phone again, it will turn off... (I thought it was a cool little feature)....

The one thing I like about the new update is when the battery reaches 14 %, the power saver feature turns on automatically to conserve batt. Then, as you charge the phone again, it will turn off... (I thought it was a cool little feature)....

Didn't it do the same on ICS?

Sent from a phone using an application. That's pretty cool.

I might be the minority on this, but I'm loving the battery life with this update. So far everything is working great, and I'm actually using the EVO again as a daily driver.

As far as battery life goes it feels about the same as ICS but thats not a bad thing at all. I still can't believe how responsive my evo has become, this update has really done a good job of getting my mind off of the note 2.

• Like 3