EVO 4G LTE Android Jelly Bean Update 3.15.651.16

wjrandon

I did the factory reset and reloaded everything. It runs better for the most part, however the ram being used is ridiculously high. i don't know about anyone else, but on the stock reboot with nothing installed it ran at 800+MB according to the task manager and with all of my programs loaded it is nearly .9 GB. I recall before the update that i would barely peak at .50GB with an average of .30 GB.

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but it seems like something has become a memory hog.

Outside of that the other issue i have is swype not putting spaces in google searches and some other random areas. it has auto spacing checked and works fine in other apps.

I do like the music controls in the drop down menu, and the increased volume from the beats audio.

So my launcher has been running really slow and choppy every now and then on my EVO lately. Mine has done it about 3 times in the past week or so and the only remedy is to reboot my phone. Maybe its an app that I have installed recently or just could it just be a bug in Sense? Has anybody seen anything like this on their device after updating to JB?

I think I found one cause of this. I was able to trigger it by starting an OpenSignal Maps speed test and pressing the back button before it finished.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I did the factory reset and reloaded everything. It runs better for the most part, however the ram being used is ridiculously high. i don't know about anyone else, but on the stock reboot with nothing installed it ran at 800+MB according to the task manager and with all of my programs loaded it is nearly .9 GB. I recall before the update that i would barely peak at .50GB with an average of .30 GB.

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but it seems like something has become a memory hog.

Outside of that the other issue i have is swype not putting spaces in google searches and some other random areas. it has auto spacing checked and works fine in other apps.

I do like the music controls in the drop down menu, and the increased volume from the beats audio.

There also used to be a pretty noticeable "hissing" sound when you used to use beats audio that appears to be improved a lot.

I've had high RAM usage as well, but JB has managed it well so I haven't had any performance issues.

I think too many people put a little too much emphasis on ram usage, not realizing how android's memory management works.

• Like 4

I think too many people put a little too much emphasis on ram usage, not realizing how android's memory management works.

Smart man. Glad someone said it.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

• Like 3

I've never worried about RAM either, and every time I have, whether its with some app killer app or whatever, it just causes problems. I wouldn't get fixated on some number/spec, just let Android do its thing. Can't say I've ever had an issue due to RAM. And that dates back to Eclair.

Slightly off topic but, in Phx we've been having some very cold weather, by our standards anyway, with lows of about 29 the last couple days. I went on a hike at 0530, went to take a picture, and noticed a message pop up at the bottom of the screen saying something to the effect of, Flash is disabled due to cold temperature. First time I've seen that! I'm sure its not a discovery, but just throwing it out there. It was certainly new to me.

Also, I've hiked this trail just north of Phx numerous times, but have taken a 3 or 4 month hiatus from it. I used get very poor Sprint signal on the back side of the mountain, if any. Roaming was pretty iffy as well. Streaming Google Music was out of the question. Today I noticed I had strong Sprint signal the entire time. It was brought to my attention when I noticed that I could stream Google Music the entire hike, whereas before I definitely could not. Not sure If Sprint put up a new tower in the area, or fixed something on an old one. But, major signal improvement.. it was cool!

• Like 3

I've never worried about RAM either, and every time I have, whether its with some app killer app or whatever, it just causes problems. I wouldn't get fixated on some number/spec, just let Android do its thing. Can't say I've ever had an issue due to RAM. And that dates back to Eclair.

Slightly off topic but, in Phx we've been having some very cold weather, by our standards anyway, with lows of about 29 the last couple days. I went on a hike at 0530, went to take a picture, and noticed a message pop up at the bottom of the screen saying something to the effect of, Flash is disabled due to cold temperature. First time I've seen that! I'm sure its not a discovery, but just throwing it out there. It was certainly new to me.

Also, I've hiked this trail just north of Phx numerous times, but have taken a 3 or 4 month hiatus from it. I used get very poor Sprint signal on the back side of the mountain, if any. Roaming was pretty iffy as well. Streaming Google Music was out of the question. Today I noticed I had strong Sprint signal the entire time. It was brought to my attention when I noticed that I could stream Google Music the entire hike, whereas before I definitely could not. Not sure If Sprint put up a new tower in the area, or fixed something on an old one. But, major signal improvement.. it was cool!

Quite odd. Wonder if the cold was affecting the tower at that time.

That's a new one to me... It was 9° outside last night, and I was using my phone to take pictures of the ice and frost on trees and such, my EVO didn't complain. Though I was only outside for about 20 minutes or so.

That's too funny. Even your devices get thin blood and wimpy down there. :lol:

I took a picture this morning with my Galaxy Note 2 and it was 7 degrees below zero. However, it wasn't outside for very long when I took the pic. I promptly found warmer environs.

Robert

• Like 2

I took a picture this morning with my Galaxy Note 2 and it was 7 degrees below zero. However, it wasn't outside for very long when I took the pic. I promptly found warmer environs.

Robert

7 below? Wow. I haven't been in below zero conditions for a couple years. I did camp in 6 below once, that was an interesting.... experience. Wonder if my EVO would have complained about that? Haha

7 below? Wow. I haven't been in below zero conditions for a couple years. I did camp in 6 below once, that was an interesting.... experience. Wonder if my EVO would have complained about that? Haha

Sub zero temperatures are common at our elevation. Happens every year. Our normal low is typically high single digits in January and February.

Robert

Sub zero temperatures are common at our elevation. Happens every year. Our normal low is typically high single digits in January and February.

Robert

It USED to be an every year occurrence around here, but we're on a multi year streak of not breaking 0. Record setting streak even. Coldest I've been in was 11 or 12 below in Colorado.

That's a new one to me... It was 9° outside last night, and I was using my phone to take pictures of the ice and frost on trees and such, my EVO didn't complain. Though I was only outside for about 20 minutes or so.

Robert

LOL

It would take pictures just fine... it was only the flash that was disabled. Similar to how the flash is disabled when the battery level is low.

LOL

It would take pictures just fine... it was only the flash that was disabled. Similar to how the flash is disabled when the battery level is low.

I had my flash disabled when the phone got too hot once, lol. Anyone on the EVO LTE have that happen yet?

Not I. I've never had my EVO get hot' date=' though.[/quote']

Car Dock + sunny summer day + black phone = overheat.

I haven't had that error since I started running the AC through the windshield vent when my phone is docked.