Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

I'm trying to understand the logic twitch used in calling it  and not calling it DCA or Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

I don't see what the issue is. If one is well versed in IATA codes, as you obviously are, then it is painfully clear what airport he was talking about. Stop at DCA, you are good there, don't read into it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link!

I have always found it irritating that I don't get cell service in the Metro rail system.

I always thought that Verizon phones got coverage in the Metro tunnels, but after reading the article, I guess not.

Thanks for the link!

I have always found it irritating that I don't get cell service in the Metro rail system.

I always thought that Verizon phones got coverage in the Metro tunnels, but after reading the article, I guess not.

Verizon phones do have better coverage, but it has certainly deteriorated since PowerWave half converted the network. Now all of carriers are sort of in limbo....

• Like 1

As best I can tell, AT&T and T-Mobile have no service in the tunnels. Verizon has spotty service in the tunnel, which Sprint roams on, but there are plenty of places (which tend to be where the trains sit when "there's a train ahead of us, we'll be moving momentarily").

It's not really useful while on the go, at least not as a Sprint customer.

Most of the stations have service, at least. 3G.

- Trip

• Like 1

My mornings excitement for today is that I actually have LTE service in my office building on Crestwood blvd in Frederick, almost 1-2 bars short of full signal. 

It will in fact snow tonight. :)

• Like 6

I've started picking up good signal in a lot of places.

Especially strong in Reston VA (which makes sense considering that it used to be the home of Sprint)

One odd thing that I have noticed, however, is that I seem to be on LTE 800 frequently. It's all good, it just seems odd that I don't seem to be connecting to the other bands as frequently.

bb53bb72f8adf541b6713ccdb080fdec.jpg

I've started picking up good signal in a lot of places.

Especially strong in Reston VA (which makes sense considering that it used to be the home of Sprint)

One odd thing that I have noticed, however, is that I seem to be on LTE 800 frequently. It's all good, it just seems odd that I don't seem to be connecting to the other bands as frequently.

I find that if you go into an area with weak service, you will connect to LTE 800 as you should.  But when you exit the poor area, quite often you will remain on 800 LTE for a long time.  This does not always work that way, but it is quite common for me.  I would assume that the system does not see any compelling reason to shift me to 1900 LTE.  However, I also will sometimes get kicked off 800 LTE quickly.  I have to assume that Sprint is looking at load on each of the carriers, signal strength and maybe something else. 

I also notice that it will resist switching bands if you are using any data. Steaming music or video will tend to keep you on the carrier until it absolutely has to switch bands for some reason.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to be amazed at how quickly upgrades are occurring.  Yesterday I drove to visit my parents and then today I drove back.  On my way down, I had LTE all the way from my home next to the Huntington Metro all the way around the beltway, on 66, on 15, and then it finally gave out when I was on 29 after clinging to B26 from Buckland for a really long time.  I think it finally gave up about half-way to Warrenton and flipped to 3G then.  Then, again, at Opal, it jumped on B26 and hung onto it until I got to Brandy Station.  Not this market, but when I got to Farmville, I was on B26 the entire time I was in town, including indoors.

There was also a surprising amount of B41 additions,  I saw at least 3 more towers (probably more, would have to check) running B41 than when I went down at New Year's, and that was with all the bad weather we've had. 

Now if only they could do something about nTelos land...

- Trip

• Like 7

Does anyone have an idea when Frederick city area will get LTE? I have been impressed how quickly the signal strength has improved over here on Crestwood Blvd. Somewhere near Bentz Street and Trail Avenue I think there was a WiMax tower, I'd guess that would be an easy upgrade??? 

Does anyone have an idea when Frederick city area will get LTE? I have been impressed how quickly the signal strength has improved over here on Crestwood Blvd. Somewhere near Bentz Street and Trail Avenue I think there was a WiMax tower, I'd guess that would be an easy upgrade???

I was amazed at how i have full LTE bars in the Crestwood McDonald's parking lot but drop back to 3G in Farmbrook. Please tell me this will be fully available soon i ditched verizon for sprint and I need 4G

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the patriot center for some UFC action today and could not believe how absurdly awful the service is at GMU. Sitting in my truck in the parking lot I volleyed between LTE and 1X, and could not use my phone in the arena. I remember being on the event floor in 2010 for graduation and not being able to use it but 5 years later and no improvement is embarrassing.

The good news is when the Massey building is torn down at the Fairfax court complex, the big 4 will be moving their antennas to The Fairfax Building, which my company owns. So once the city green lights all the site plans we have from Sitelink Wireless for their antennas on OUR roof, I'll be posting plenty of build out pictures.

• Like 2