Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Being a 3MHz wide slice being permitted, it would only initially allow CDMA 800. But that's a start. First movement along the Mexican IBEZ ever.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Being a 3MHz wide slice being permitted, it would only initially allow CDMA 800. But that's a start. First movement along the Mexican IBEZ ever.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

This is excellent news.  CDMA 800 could really help things in parts of southern NM.  Now if they can just convert these GMO's in Los Alamos and get CDMA 800 up here all will be golden.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... Disclaimer... Please forgive me for asking this, as I am sure that this is mentioned somewhere in this thread, but considering that I usually access this forum from Tapatalk, and searching is a PITA...

I see the discission of 800 LTE, and I know that my HTC M8 makes use of 800 1x, so I was just wondering if my HTC M8 will also be able to make use of 800 LTE whenever it goes live.

Okay... Disclaimer... Please forgive me for asking this, as I am sure that this is mentioned somewhere in this thread, but considering that I usually access this forum from Tapatalk, and searching is a PITA...

I see the discission of 800 LTE, and I know that my HTC M8 makes use of 800 1x, so I was just wondering if my HTC M8 will also be able to make use of 800 LTE whenever it goes live.

Yes, it is a tri-band phone so it can use LTE on 800, 1900, and 2500 MHz bands.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

In this afternoon rush hour in DC Union Station, it was very crowded.  It occurred to me that it was difficult to make calls on 1X 800 (503 PRL).  Several call attempts failed. Did it indicates the load on 1X 800 was heavy?

In this afternoon rush hour in DC Union Station, it was very crowded.  It occurred to me that it was difficult to make calls on 1X 800 (503 PRL).  Several call attempts failed. Did it indicates the load on 1X 800 was heavy?

Possibly.  But since CDMA 800 has such good propagation characteristics, you likely would have been able to connect to several different CDMA 800 sites/sectors.  Unlikely all available connection combinations would have been full.  Also, it could have initiated a scan for 1900 if it could not connect to anything because there were no slots available.  I would guess a network problem was the more likely culprit.

Possibly.  But since CDMA 800 has such good propagation characteristics, you likely would have been able to connect to several different CDMA 800 sites/sectors.  Unlikely all available connection combinations would have been full.  Also, it could have initiated a scan for 1900 if it could not connect to anything because there were no slots available.  I would guess a network problem was the more likely culprit.

I am using 503 PRL that's in the sponsor area. 503 put 800 in high priority, Does that make a difference?

If 1X 800 is in testing mode on the SID 22429, your calls may be rejected since you're not supposed to be able to access 800 on that SID with a normal PRL. I had a similar problem here that went away when I went back to using a normal PRL that ignores that SID.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If sprint wanted to have LTE 800 10 MHz wide channel who would they have to buy the spectrum from? Not sure if I used the right terms.

Unfortunately, it isn't really for sale. It's designated "Public Safety" spectrum, and is used by local governments.

If sprint wanted to have LTE 800 10 MHz wide channel who would they have to buy the spectrum from? Not sure if I used the right terms.

To get 10x10, they would have to have the adjacent Cellular A Band license. Because they could only expand to the right. There is a guard band to the left of their holdings in the SMR band that they would never be able to cross.

And if they had Cellular A band, then they could already do a 10x10 there. But I guess they could make a 15x15 crossing the Cellular/SMR threshold. But I don't see them getting Cellular band spectrum anytime soon.

Wonder if they've ever looked into it. That'd be a sweet move... Something the new CEO could really point to as an improvement. Probably pretty expensive though. It'd probably be way better just to get the 600 MHz next year.

Edited by greencat
  • Like 2

To get 10x10, they would have to have the adjacent Cellular A Band license. Because they could only expand to the right. There is a guard band to the left of their holdings in the SMR band that they would never be able to cross.

And if they had Cellular A band, then they could already do a 10x10 there. But I guess they could make a 15x15 crossing the Cellular/SMR threshold. But I don't see them getting Cellular band spectrum anytime soon.

Ahh. I got my spectrum locations mixed up.

• 1 month later...

22408 is Denver,CO not sure where you are but if not close to Denver it is possible. I don't remember off hand what regions they were using as test sid.

Denver is far away from me. That may explain why my Nexus 5 is trying hard to stick to PCS

22408 is Denver,CO not sure where you are but if not close to Denver it is possible. I don't remember off hand what regions they were using as test sid.

22429 was the SID that usually appeared when a site was in testing.

-Mike

22429 was the SID that usually appeared when a site was in testing.

-Mike

I connected to 22429 for testing sid most of the time also but i thought there were 3 major testing sid. For example I connected to 22433 in Ft Pierce for a tower that was in testing. I just figured if http://www.ifast.org/files/NationalSID.htm shows as Denver and he was 600+ milesaway from Colorado. It could have been one of the few remaining testing sid.

I saw when my phone was on 1X 800, thre SID is 22408.  Is it a test SID?

I saw two testing SIDs, one 22429, the second 65535. Then there were the either misprogrammed SIDs or intentionally in another region SIDs I presume for them to test with bringing some sites into isolation from others.

Here's the screwy thing. If there's a site in DC programmed with a 22408 SID which isn't in your market, when you connect to it your phone finds it and then jumps into the region PRL that the SID is in. Then your phone for 1900 will start searching for active SIDs from that market. This is why your phone wouldn't make a call, because your phone thought it was in the Denver market looking for Denver SIDs and finding none. The same happens if you connect to a 22429 SID site, because that SID is for Puerto Rico.

This is the downside to using test PRLs. I believe the latest PRL has 800 at a higher priority. I don't remember for sure.

I'm making the assumption that 22408 is Denver market. 

I also might have under explained what's happening. I can be more explicit if you wish. Let me know.

This is why your phone wouldn't make a call, because your phone thought it was in the Denver market looking for Denver SIDs and finding none. The same happens if you connect to a 22429 SID site, because that SID is for Puerto Rico.

No.  PRLs affect only idle state behavior.  They do not affect traffic state behavior -- that is network directed.  If calling is blocked, that is at the network level.  The PRL or SID entry is not the cause.

AJ

1. Is there a map where Sprint has the 800mhz all over the states and states specific?

Are you taking about deployment or the licenses? Sprint has a nationwide license and the only issues are with border regions and some public safety in Florida. Detailed deployment information is for sponsors.

So, if I understand correctly, in many locations (such as the SF Bay Area), Sprint has enough spectrum for only a single 5x5 carrier on both 1900 and 800, yet they strongly prefer b25. However, even with a weak b25 signal (-117 dBm) my phone (Nexus 6) almost always sticks there instead of going to b26 coming from the same tower (-90 dBm). It causes cell standby to show 19% time without signal. I'm on wifi so my phone is just idling there.

Is this just going to be the way it is? Or are they going to start balancing between the two bands better? If the spectrum is equal I don't understand why they favor b25 so much.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So, if I understand correctly, in many locations (such as the SF Bay Area), Sprint has enough spectrum for only a single 5x5 carrier on both 1900 and 800, yet they strongly prefer b25. However, even with a weak b25 signal (-117 dBm) my phone (Nexus 6) almost always sticks there instead of going to b26 coming from the same tower (-90 dBm). It causes cell standby to show 19% time without signal. I'm on wifi so my phone is just idling there.

Is this just going to be the way it is? Or are they going to start balancing between the two bands better? If the spectrum is equal I don't understand why they favor b25 so much.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Balancing is in a state of flux until B26 is installed and optimized and B41 is installed and optimized. While deployments are going on, balancing is not really a science. Too many factors happening. When the network gets more to a complete state, a better load balancing scheme will be instituted that will provide a more predictable and superior experience.