Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Just wanted to let everyone know in case it hasn't been pointed out yet. Birmingham, Alabama has 5x5 LTE on SMR now and also 1x800 Voice as well. This is also a market with another provider called SouthernLINC using SMR and they are running iDEN still today.

Roll Tide!
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how exactly Sprint and SouthernLinc accomplished that? It was my understanding that Sprint would be running a 3x3 or something like that in SouthernLinc areas but as we all know, that wasn't the case.

Does anyone know how exactly Sprint and SouthernLinc accomplished that? It was my understanding that Sprint would be running a 3x3 or something like that in SouthernLinc areas but as we all know, that wasn't the case.

Spectrum sharing and coordinating carrier deployments to ensure the least amount of interference.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Spectrum sharing and coordinating carrier deployments to ensure the least amount of interference.

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's my understanding SoLINC will deploy an LTE network as well in their coverage area on SMR and roaming agreement's with Sprint. 

I notice my iPhone 6 doesn't hold LTE as well as Android Spark phone's. Is there a reason? Does the iPhone use eCSFB or the 1x chain receive method for CDMA paging and active LTE radio like Verizon?

It's my understanding SoLINC will deploy an LTE network as well in their coverage area on SMR and roaming agreement's with Sprint.

I notice my iPhone 6 doesn't hold LTE as well as Android Spark phone's. Is there a reason? Does the iPhone use eCSFB or the 1x chain receive method for CDMA paging and active LTE radio like Verizon?

Different devices perform differently on each lte band due to the design of the designs. Some devices are better than others in a certain band, some are average on all bands, and some are just plain bad.

Iphones are about the middle of the pack in so they're pretty good overall but not the best.

Iirc there was a Carrier update that went out recently which caused a bit of a ruckus due to lte drops and whatnot. Maybe consult with the apple device owners to see if you are experiencing what others are as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Iirc there was a Carrier update that went out recently which caused a bit of a ruckus due to lte drops and whatnot. Maybe consult with the apple device owners to see if you are experiencing what others are as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5

To expand on what Tim said, there was a carrier update recently that was pushed by either Sprint or Apple (I may know a lot about iOS, but for some reason I still don't know for certain where carrier updates come from on iOS devices) that kinda broke edge-of-service LTE connectivity. Me and several others are using the iOS 9 beta currently, which uses a different carrier bundle, and LTE connectivity is much better. I would just wait it out to see if Apple/Sprint releases a better carrier update to remedy the issue.

-Anthony

• Like 1

I also wonder if it has to do with the fact that the phone is designed to operate on SO many different bands. It would be hard to optimize it for every single band. 

• Like 1

I also wonder if it has to do with the fact that the phone is designed to operate on SO many different bands. It would be hard to optimize it for every single band. 

Android phones too are designed to operate on many different bands.  Problem with iPhone's is they have a rep for not having the best radio/antenna.  Just like with Android, some phones are better than others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

REQUEST TO PERMIT WIDEBAND OPERATIONS IN PORTIONS OF WASHINGTON

On June 25, 2015, Sprint Corporation (“Sprint”) filed a request for waiver of Section 
90.209((7) of the Commission’s rules1 to permit 800 MHz wideband operations in portions of the 
Washington National Public Safety Planning Advisory Committee (“NPSPAC”) region (“Region 43”) 
prior to completion of the 800 MHz Band reconfiguration in that region (“Sprint Waiver Request”).

Section 90.209((7) permits Economic Area-based 800 MHz Specialized Mobile Radio licensees to exceed Section 90.209’s channel spacing and bandwidth limitation in the 817–824/862–869 MHz (813.5–824/858.5–869 MHz band segments in the counties listed in § 90.614©) band segments in NPSPAC regions where all 800 MHz public safety licensees in the region have completed band reconfiguration.

3. In the Sprint Waiver Request, Sprint seeks to use the 866-869 MHz portion of the band for wideband operations in four out of the thirty-four counties comprising NPSPAC Region 43 where Sprint claims the public safety licensees have successfully completed their retunes.

4 The four counties are Clark, Cowlitz, Pacific, and Skamania.

5 Sprint states there currently are eleven licensees6 in the Seattle, Washington and 
Eastern Washington areas that have yet to complete reconfiguration.

6 According to Sprint, the eleven licensees that have not yet retuned are as follows: State of Washington, Department of Transportation; State of Washington, Department of Corrections; Eastside Public Safety Communications Agency; City of Seattle; City of Tacoma; City of Puyallup; King County; Skagit County; Valley Communications Center; Spokane Regional Communications Systems (STA only); and Island County Public Transportation Benefit Area.

7 Sprint also states there are two licensees, Kitsap County and Snohomish County Emergency Radio System, that recently completed their retunes but have yet to remove their “old NPSPAC” frequencies. Id. at 1-2 n.2.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0701/DA-15-775A1.pdf

• Like 7

We were recently talking about this in one of the market threads. It basically will allow Sprint to use 800 in the Washington State portion of the Oregon/SW Washington Market, along the Columbia River. Which is great news to people in Vancouver and Longview/Kelso who could not access 800, even though so far away from interfering with Canada and other upstate rebanders. Since these people are practically Oregonians, let them use their 800. ;)

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 5

On June 25, 2015, Sprint Corporation (“Sprint”) filed a request for waiver of Section

90.209((7) of the Commission’s rules1 to permit 800 MHz wideband operations in portions of the

Washington National Public Safety Planning Advisory Committee (“NPSPAC”) region (“Region 43”)

prior to completion of the 800 MHz Band reconfiguration in that region (“Sprint Waiver Request”).

2 Section 90.209((7) permits Economic Area-based 800 MHz Specialized Mobile Radio licensees to exceed Section 90.209’s channel spacing and bandwidth limitation in the 817–824/862–869 MHz (813.5–824/858.5–869 MHz band segments in the counties listed in § 90.614©) band segments in NPSPAC regions where all 800 MHz public safety licensees in the region have completed band reconfiguration.

3. In the Sprint Waiver Request, Sprint seeks to use the 866-869 MHz portion of the band for wideband operations in four out of the thirty-four counties comprising NPSPAC Region 43 where Sprint claims the public safety licensees have successfully completed their retunes.

4 The four counties are Clark, Cowlitz, Pacific, and Skamania.

5 Sprint states there currently are eleven licensees6 in the Seattle, Washington and

Eastern Washington areas that have yet to complete reconfiguration.

6 According to Sprint, the eleven licensees that have not yet retuned are as follows: State of Washington, Department of Transportation; State of Washington, Department of Corrections; Eastside Public Safety Communications Agency; City of Seattle; City of Tacoma; City of Puyallup; King County; Skagit County; Valley Communications Center; Spokane Regional Communications Systems (STA only); and Island County Public Transportation Benefit Area.

7 Sprint also states there are two licensees, Kitsap County and Snohomish County Emergency Radio System, that recently completed their retunes but have yet to remove their “old NPSPAC” frequencies. Id. at 1-2 n.2.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0701/DA-15-775A1.pdf

Anything on King County, WA?

Anything on King County, WA?

No, not for the time being.  Too close to Canada.

AJ

• 4 weeks later...

We were recently talking about this in one of the market threads. It basically will allow Sprint to use 800 in the Washington State portion of the Oregon/SW Washington Market, along the Columbia River. Which is great news to people in Vancouver and Longview/Kelso who could not access 800, even though so far away from interfering with Canada and other upstate rebanders. Since these people are practically Oregonians, let them use their 800. ;)

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Approved yesterday:

Re: Sprint Corporation Request for Waiver to Permit 800 MHz Wideband Operations in Portions of Washington State (Region 43) Prior to Completion of 800 MHz Band Reconfiguration in the Entire NPSPAC Region, WT Docket No. 15-156; FCC File Nos. 0006854547 and 0006854553

In this letter, we grant a waiver request by Sprint Corporation (Sprint) that will allow Sprint to deploy its 800 MHz wideband operations in certain portions of the Washington State National Public Safety Planning Advisory Committee (NPSPAC) Region before 800 MHz Band reconfiguration has been completed in that Region. 1 Granting the Waiver Request will permit LTE deployment in the greater Portland metropolitan area, providing Sprint’s subscribers access to these valuable broadband wireless services while protecting the remaining public safety entities from harmful interference. We therefore find that granting the Waiver Request is in the public interest.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0824/DA-15-954A1.pdf

• Like 5

Approved yesterday:

Re: Sprint Corporation Request for Waiver to Permit 800 MHz Wideband Operations in Portions of Washington State (Region 43) Prior to Completion of 800 MHz Band Reconfiguration in the Entire NPSPAC Region, WT Docket No. 15-156; FCC File Nos. 0006854547 and 0006854553

In this letter, we grant a waiver request by Sprint Corporation (Sprint) that will allow Sprint to deploy its 800 MHz wideband operations in certain portions of the Washington State National Public Safety Planning Advisory Committee (NPSPAC) Region before 800 MHz Band reconfiguration has been completed in that Region. 1 Granting the Waiver Request will permit LTE deployment in the greater Portland metropolitan area, providing Sprint’s subscribers access to these valuable broadband wireless services while protecting the remaining public safety entities from harmful interference. We therefore find that granting the Waiver Request is in the public interest.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0824/DA-15-954A1.pdf

Good!

Now, Cleveland.

• Like 1

Good!

Now, Cleveland.

Uh oh, you said the magic word.  Cleveland.  You know what that means...

AJ

• Like 8

I have found 1x800 in a few places in NH so far. First, in the Goffstown to Manchester area. I think the tower on the Uncanoonuc mountain is transmitting it. Also, up in Lebanon there is a stout 1x800 signal that travels pretty far. Last night I was actually able to browse with a 1x800 signal and download an app in Rindge NH. I am still learning how to id towers so I am not sure what kind of range there is. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Columbus northern and eastern part of the market is in the ibez buffer zone and within the last two weeks nearly most of my important sites finally launched 1x800 (20+ sites).

Very excited and making a huge voice difference....

Now, how long until b26 lights up.... ☺

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I am really frustrated that San Bernardino is once again at a standstill it seems... Any updates on that situation?

No idea but if I had to put money on it...I bet SB county did not meet their August deadline to provide a plan to the FCC.

No idea but if I had to put money on it...I bet SB county did not meet their August deadline to provide a plan to the FCC.

Sort of related:

The Clerk of the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors sent me a copy of their executed agreement between the County and the Woodcliff Corporation for the Rialto 800 MHz Antenna Site Upgrade Project.  I was curious where the $2.5 Million for the project was coming from.  It's from the 2011-2012 Capital Improvement Program budget, so it doesn't appear to be from any new agreement with Sprint (Nextel).

I also confirmed that I did not miss any agenda items between the County and Sprint since the May FCC Order.

• Like 2

Sort of related:

The Clerk of the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors sent me a copy of their executed agreement between the County and the Woodcliff Corporation for the Rialto 800 MHz Antenna Site Upgrade Project.  I was curious where the $2.5 Million for the project was coming from.  It's from the 2011-2012 Capital Improvement Program budget, so it doesn't appear to be from any new agreement with Sprint (Nextel).

I also confirmed that I did not miss any agenda items between the County and Sprint since the May FCC Order.

What I expected.  SB county failed to meet their deadlines again.  Why am I not surprised.