Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

MSC is the switch that the traffic routes through.  Click on a site in the sponsor maps and it will list the MSC

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I took a second look at the site and it looks like there are two RRUs.

• 2 weeks later...

800 MHz Reconfiguration Progress Report recently filed:

http://www.800ta.org/content/reporting/QPR_03.31.14.pdf

Tons of information. Basically, it shows the progress of the rebanding efforts. Looks like lots of work yet to complete (especially in SW).

So it looks like NC is just waiting on the NCDPH.
  • Like 1

FYI, j'vai was banned at S4GRU for being unduly argumentative.  Take whatever he says with a large grain of salt.  And pending staff discussion, your post may be taken down for linking to j'vai, since we consider him an unreliable source.

AJ

FYI, j'vai was banned at S4GRU for being unduly argumentative.  Take whatever he says with a large grain of salt.  And pending staff discussion, your post may be taken down for linking to j'vai, since we consider him an unreliable source.

AJ

Well I wouldn't say this was anythingnegative, but it actually showed sprint working at the fringes, and Better than what I have seen from Other carriers Fringe Signal...cough Tmobile

Well I wouldn't say this was anythingnegative, but it actually showed sprint working at the fringes, and Better than what I have seen from Other carriers Fringe Signal...cough Tmobile

T-Mobile at fringe signal is better. That's fact, not opinion. Wider LTE carriers have better throughput overall.

T-Mobile at fringe signal is better. That's fact, not opinion. Wider LTE carriers have better throughput overall.

But not in all areas. Fringe PCS performs better than fringe b26. Both on 5x5. T-Mobile fringe signal is unusable here, but go right next to the tower it works. There is more than just channel sizes to determine fringe speed and performance.

Sprint B26 fringe is way further way from T-Mobile's AWS fringe. Only time that changes is when TMo deploys 700 in the limited markets where they have that. Even sillier, I read some HoFo posts about deploying in NYC in spite of CH 51 contours. Is their hubris starting to get to them?

Sprint B26 fringe is way further way from T-Mobile's AWS fringe. Only time that changes is when TMo deploys 700 in the limited markets where they have that. Even sillier, I read some HoFo posts about deploying in NYC in spite of CH 51 contours. Is their hubris starting to get to them?

I wouldn't say deploying the more advanced Air antennas are a foolish endeavour. Remember Antenna integrated radios does not have the flexibility of remote radio units in that you can setup the antennas an add radios later like Sprint in the mexican border.

AIR units must be completely replaced to add new technologies and that's pricey. So it's probably more practical to deploy the new antennas with that capability for the future as there's no negatives to using it anyhow. 

I wouldn't say deploying the more advanced Air antennas are a foolish endeavour. Remember Antenna integrated radios does not have the flexibility of remote radio units in that you can setup the antennas an add radios later like Sprint in the mexican border.

AIR units must be completely replaced to add new technologies and that's pricey. So it's probably more practical to deploy the new antennas with that capability for the future as there's no negatives to using it anyhow.

I get the AIR32 argument, I wish Ericsson would get a CDMA/LTE version to Sprint.

It's deploying the 700 spectrum that seems like a recipe to create conflict with WNYJ.

Even sillier, I read some HoFo posts about deploying in NYC in spite of CH 51 contours. Is their hubris starting to get to them?

Remember, T-Mobile ran 10 MHz FDD at its event in NYC a year ago.  But it was in AWS spectrum that had previously been swapped with VZW.  And no short term lease was filed.  So, VZW must have signed off on the use and assumed liability.  That is what we have to assume because we could never uncover anything official.  It was an odd situation.

AJ

Remember, T-Mobile ran 10 MHz FDD at its event in NYC a year ago. But it was in AWS spectrum that had previously been swapped with VZW. And no short term lease was filed. So, VZW must have signed off on the use and assumed liability. That is what we have to assume because we could never uncover anything official. It was an odd situation.

AJ

I'm sure the broadcast engineers at WNYJ would take great interest in any 700 A deployment in NYC, maybe they already have a resolution to any problems. Maybe not.

I'm sure the broadcast engineers at WNYJ would take great interest in any 700 A deployment in NYC, maybe they already have a resolution to any problems. Maybe not.

Resolution?  Among the faithful, they are sure that Magenta is magic.

My-Little-Pony-Friendship-Is-Magic-Seaso

AJ

800 MHz Reconfiguration Progress Report recently filed:

http://www.800ta.org/content/reporting/QPR_03.31.14.pdf

Tons of information.  Basically, it shows the progress of the rebanding efforts.  Looks like lots of work yet to complete (especially in SW).

From Chart 1 it seems that the only areas that the physical returning is not complete are the border areas. The Canadian border rebanding js substantially complete. The Mexican border is a mess....

I can't tell if its Sprint's 800 lte that seems very fragile or its a bad radio on my s5.

Here are some of my findings:

1. often my s5 will not handoff to b26 when the b25 signal is degrading; i will watch it get to about -115dbm then drop to 3g. An immediate airplane toggle in the same location will get me on b26 with a good signal coming from the same site (Verified by looking at the GCI). this gets frustrating because my phone ends up being on 3g a lot more than it should, when i have a substantial amount of b26 around me.

2. I compared my s5 to an s5 on ATT in my basement. ATT's 700mhz and b26 on sprint will make it to my basement. the signals are coming from the same site (ATT is one rack higher so i understand why it would be a few dBms higher). Anyway my s5 on b26 sits around -104 to -106 while the ATT s5 was at -102 to 104. I simply placed the phone on my lap and the sprint s5 immediately drops to 3g but the ATT one gets to about -108 to -110. It just seems like b26 shouldn't drop that easily

so far i haven't really been impressed by b26. i'm hoping my phone is the issue though. Have you guys seen anything similar?

I can't tell if its Sprint's 800 lte that seems very fragile or its a bad radio on my s5.

Here are some of my findings:

1. often my s5 will not handoff to b26 when the b25 signal is degrading; i will watch it get to about -115dbm then drop to 3g. An immediate airplane toggle in the same location will get me on b26 with a good signal coming from the same site (Verified by looking at the GCI). this gets frustrating because my phone ends up being on 3g a lot more than it should, when i have a substantial amount of b26 around me.

2. I compared my s5 to an s5 on ATT in my basement. ATT's 700mhz and b26 on sprint will make it to my basement. the signals are coming from the same site (ATT is one rack higher so i understand why it would be a few dBms higher). Anyway my s5 on b26 sits around -104 to -106 while the ATT s5 was at -102 to 104. I simply placed the phone on my lap and the sprint s5 immediately drops to 3g but the ATT one gets to about -108 to -110. It just seems like b26 shouldn't drop that easily

so far i haven't really been impressed by b26. i'm hoping my phone is the issue though. Have you guys seen anything similar?

It is because your in washington dc, even in chicago the b26 isn't fully configured. Right now the 800 lte is on low power setting and will be turned up when all the other sites are turned on and not have interference from other towers

It is because your in washington dc, even in chicago the b26 isn't fully configured. Right now the 800 lte is on low power setting and will be turned up when all the other sites are turned on and not have interference from other towers

i doubt thats the case here simply because the signal is comparable to ATT's 700mhz signal from the same tower

I finally got a taste of B26 LTE yesterday when I came home to my apartment. My wife has an iPhone 5S, and was connected to LTE in the elevator ride up. I checked the menu and she was parked on B26.

I wasn't sure if B26 deployment had started in Queens, so it was impressive. 

• Like 5

My bad. Perhaps this location is more appropriate. 

Doesn't matter to me. More people might see it over on gen topics since it's new. 

Guys, some of these posts may be removed, and threads may be merged.  But do not worry about it.  Staff will take care of it.

AJ

• Like 1

Just dropping info here. Pretty much anything you want to know about 800 rebanding. I googled "fcc rebanding status fra".

Basically Sprint/Nextel has had to pay the users of upper 800 band to relocate to lower 800 band. This is a part of reorganization of 800 spectrum to alleviate interference issues between Nextel and other users, mostly public safety.

For the spectrum in upper 800 SMR band, Sprint has paid dearly for it. In that Google search I found rebanding info from many public safety agencies. The one for Indiana explains in great detail the work required and money involved and time for Sprint to ink contracts and process change orders. Take that times 50 for just statewide radio systems , don't figure in utility company's and other users. That's a whole lot of cash outlay and red tape.

The link http://www.in.gov/ipsc/2367.htm

• Like 1