Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

How much better is connectivity on spark capable phones (specifically using the 800MHz band) in the general Los Angeles market?

Interested more so in connectivity rather than speed.

I tend to only to connect to 800 in places where I normally wouldn't have service.  Like a parking garage or deep inside a building or something.  I'm not connecting to 800 in places where I have a low signal or where the signal is barely usable with calls cutting in and out. 

It's still early and so I am hoping the user experience improves with time as it is currently less than what I expected.

• Like 1

This might also be a device specific phenomena. I can remember in years past where certain brands of phones would hold on to an absolutely unusable Sprint signal before switching to roaming and certain others would switch more readily. Of course I'm sure it is also very difficult to determine when to hand over to a different band, there are so many variables involved in getting a usable signal.

I tend to only to connect to 800 in places where I normally wouldn't have service.  Like a parking garage or deep inside a building or something.  I'm not connecting to 800 in places where I have a low signal or where the signal is barely usable with calls cutting in and out. 

It's still early and so I am hoping the user experience improves with time as it is currently less than what I expected.

I agree that the 1900-priority PRLs seem to be too conservative about switching to 800 when the PCS signal is weak. Perhaps Sprint is afraid of overburdening the sole 1x800 carrier? The only workaround for the moment is to flash an 800-priority PRL. Hopefully in due time, the network will become smarter about switching users to 800 when the 1900 signal is questionable, and only punting back to PCS when that 1x800 carrier gets too busy. After ESMR rebanding is complete, there may also be certain markets where Sprint has enough spectrum to squeeze in a second 1xA carrier. If that is the case, hopefully they move quickly to deploy it.

I agree that the 1900-priority PRLs seem to be too conservative about switching to 800 when the PCS signal is weak. Perhaps Sprint is afraid of overburdening the sole 1x800 carrier? The only workaround for the moment is to flash an 800-priority PRL. Hopefully in due time, the network will become smarter about switching users to 800 when the 1900 signal is questionable, and only punting back to PCS when that 1x800 carrier gets too busy. After ESMR rebanding is complete, there may also be certain markets where Sprint has enough spectrum to squeeze in a second 1xA carrier. If that is the case, hopefully the move quickly to deploy it.

I wonder if Sprint's network is able to detect when the voice is cutting in and out - if so they should switch you to 800.  Otherwise I hope they are able to adjust the threshold of what a usable 1900 signal actually is.  No point in connecting a phone call if I can only hear 50% of what the person says.

I wonder if Sprint's network is able to detect when the voice is cutting in and out - if so they should switch you to 800.  Otherwise I hope they are able to adjust the threshold of what a usable 1900 signal actually is.  No point in connecting a phone call if I can only hear 50% of what the person says.

Well, even if it did detect that, switching you to 800 while talking on the phone would cause the call to drop anyway...

EDIT: I'm spreading lies, ignore this.. :)

-Mike

Well, even if it did detect that, switching you to 800 while talking on the phone would cause the call to drop anyway...

-Mike

Oh I didn't know calls would drop if you're switched to 800.  This probably explains why no Sprint users that I know have really seen an improvement with 800.  Pretty much everyone I know with sprint complains of dropped calls, and voice cutting in and out...hopefully Sprint is able to figure out a way to improve the experience. 

These issues weren't really issues until about 2 years ago so I'm guessing they are solvable but will just take time.  Data is working better than ever tho.

-Mike

this isn't true. I've watched my phone switch from 1900 to 800 and back to 1900 during a test call.
  • Like 3

I've actually been on calls I started on NV 800 with EVRC-NW in Oakland, and traveled across a bridge into San Francisco where it handed off to legacy 1900 just fine. It even switched the codec mid call, and it was noticeably different. 

• Like 1

this isn't true. I've watched my phone switch from 1900 to 800 and back to 1900 during a test call.

I've actually been on calls I started on NV 800 with EVRC-NW in Oakland, and traveled across a bridge into San Francisco where it handed off to legacy 1900 just fine. It even switched the codec mid call, and it was noticeably different. 

I think Mike may be confused about inter frequency hard handoffs.  They are not "hard" as in "difficult."  They are just not ideal compared to typical CDMA1X soft handoff.  Regardless, inter frequency hard handoffs generally should not cause calls to drop.

AJ

• Like 4

I think Mike may be confused about inter frequency hard handoffs. They are not "hard" as in "difficult." They are just not ideal compared to typical CDMA1X soft handoff. Regardless, inter frequency hard handoffs generally should not cause calls to drop.

Oh dear, my bad! Sorry for spreading misinformation. Whenever I have been on a call initiated on 800, it drops when I travel beyond 800 coverage. It always appears to switch to 1900 immediately after. I thought that was normal.. good to know it's not! So why does that happen on my EVO LTE?

-Mike

Oh dear, my bad! Sorry for spreading misinformation. Whenever I have been on a call initiated on 800, it drops when I travel beyond 800 coverage. It always appears to switch to 1900 immediately after. I thought that was normal.. good to know it's not! So why does that happen on my EVO LTE?

-Mike

I thought you had a Nexus 5?     :confused:

I thought you had a Nexus 5.    :confused:

I do.. can't I have more than one? :) I have the stock PRL on my N5; I don't think I have ever seen it connect to CDMA 800. I still use my EVO LTE occasionally, and it has practically lived on 800 for several months as sites went live around here. digiblur's secret sauce works well.

-Mike

I do.. can't I have more than one? :) I have the stock PRL on my N5; I don't think I have ever seen it connect to CDMA 800. I still use my EVO LTE occasionally, and it has practically lived on 800 for several months as sites went live around here. digiblur's secret sauce works well.

-Mike

Geez, Mike, trying to rub the fact that you have two toys to play with in my face?   ^_^

I do.. can't I have more than one? :) I have the stock PRL on my N5; I don't think I have ever seen it connect to CDMA 800.

Remember, with e/CSFB and single RF path, these tri band devices operate a bit differently.  They will camp on LTE full time and not connect to CDMA2000 -- unless necessary.  So, I am not shocked that the Nexus 5 rarely, if ever sees CDMA1X 800.  If LTE 1900 is available, that is all the handset needs.  And underlying CDMA1X 1900 is no doubt available, too.

AJ

Geez, Mike, trying to rub the fact that you have two toys to play with in my face?   ^_^

If I was trying to do that, I would point out that I have several phones on my desk these days.. honestly nothing to be too jealous of though. Only the N5 is usually active, the rest are just for app testing. The EVO was my prior daily driver, the others are mostly older devices with shattered screens.

-Mike

• Like 1

Remember, with e/CSFB and single RF path, these tri band devices operate a bit differently.  They will camp on LTE full time and not connect to CDMA2000 -- unless necessary.  So, I am not shocked that the Nexus 5 rarely, if ever sees CDMA1X 800.  If LTE 1900 is available, that is all the handset needs.  And underlying CDMA1X 1900 is no doubt available, too.

Oh I know that, but I force my Nexus 5 to onto CDMA quite often for testing. I'm sure its excellent RF performance doesn't force a scan for 800 often. I was out with a group of iSheep on Big Red the other night who were commenting on Sprint's "terrible" network. I got the last laugh when I pointed out that I was the only one on LTE at the time.

-Mike

• Like 10

...the others are mostly older devices with shattered screens.

Anger problem?  Or Manning problem?  Or maybe anger problem due to Manning problem?

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Anger problem?  Or Manning problem?  Or maybe anger problem due to Manning problem?

Haha nope.. desire to spend as little as possible for used test devices on eBay problem..  ;)

I don't have a Manning problem. I enjoyed the game last night very much!

-Mike

Some Anger Manningment sessions ought to help...

Just to be clear, though, does this represent the before or after from anger "Manningment" therapy?

c6a5c0c5fae0169c0f9668ae798e0a16_width_6

AJ

Yes.

Well played.  Unfortunately, Peyton wishes the same could be said for him.

AJ

• Like 1

Just to be clear, though, does this represent the before or after from anger "Manningment" therapy?

AJ

Actually, it's the "Macaulay Culkin" therapy.

IMG_438268778202786_zpsdbd011aa.jpeg

• Like 1

so im in denver and been getting 800 connections alot in new areas which is really cool, it means its getting closer(well im hoping). Anyways my question is while i was driving away from my house tonight my phone was only connecting to 800 but the towers it kept bouncing off of were like many miles away especially since there is about five other towers next to me i always connect too. So why would my phone connect to them first? im excited that im going to be surrounded  by 800 but just wondering why tonight it was doing that in an area it has not. thanks

Actually, it's the "Macaulay Culkin" therapy.

IMG_438268778202786_zpsdbd011aa.jpeg

AJ

• Like 2