Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

To clarify, we have confirmed that GMO work is getting underway in the UCV. However, full builds may or may not also be getting under way. We have no recent info about full builds there. The last thing I heard about full builds in the UCV was a Mid Spring start. However, Samsung is so aggressive. If they can beat that they will.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Well this thread was sure a long read. Is the best way to tell whether or not you're on SMR by using the ##debug# console on your phone? I've got sensory up and reporting and I've been playing around with the CDMA Field Test Application. My house has low coverage and bounces between four different BSIDs constantly so 800smr seems like it would be a huge help to me so I'd love to know when it launches up here. Here in Redding, CA this last week my EVDO speeds at work which has excellent coverage jumped from the 300kbps it's been the last year to a consistent 1.5+ Mbps so I'm hoping something good is happening up here.

The LTE Discovery App has 800mhz smr detection in beta now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Best way to tell is to see if you're in an area with NV progress by being a sponsor. To my knowledge, all sites being worked on in the UCV market is currently GMO's pending the beginning of full builds in the coming weeks (?). To have CDMA 1xA 800 will require new panels to be put up along with the assorted NV goodies which GMO's do not completely have (read here http://s4gru.com/ind...ring-locations/ ).

All in all, SMR 800 should increase everyones coverage when it gets deployed, especially for those in the lower signal areas.

Yea I read that post earlier. I actually went through and read every single wall post that wasn't just about what new areas are getting announced. I've also sorted all of the network forum threads by views and have slowly been reading through them all top to bottom. Trying to learn as much as I possibly can. I just discovered the markets forum though. Can't believe I took so long to notice that. I'll definitely pay up to be a sponsor this Friday.

• Like 2

Yea I read that post earlier. I actually went through and read every single wall post that wasn't just about what new areas are getting announced. I've also sorted all of the network forum threads by views and have slowly been reading through them all top to bottom. Trying to learn as much as I possibly can. I just discovered the markets forum though. Can't believe I took so long to notice that. I'll definitely pay up to be a sponsor this Friday.

:welc:

Welcome to S4GRU. Thanks for taking the time to read through the past threads and getting up to speed. It helps to have that background info before diving in. Hope to see you around!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

:welc:

Welcome to S4GRU. Thanks for taking the time to read through the past threads and getting up to speed. It helps to have that background info before diving in. Hope to see you around!

Thanks for the welcome. As I've read I've been keeping a notepad open with a list of questions. Half of them get answered as I read but new ones pop up as I go. Once I've spent a few days on my own research and gotten all caught up I'll probably drop a thread with half a dozen questions about whatever i still don't understand. Fair warning heh.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome. As I've read I've been keeping a notepad open with a list of questions. Half of them get answered as I read but new ones pop up as I go. Once I've spent a few days on my own research and gotten all caught up I'll probably drop a thread with half a dozen questions about whatever i still don't understand. Fair warning heh.

And those questions are what this site is for!

So will LTE on SMR have a better chance of being deployed in areas with coverage issues due to terrain? Example: the hills of Tennessee(rural coverage is a nightmare at the moment)

LTE on SMR will travel farther than LTE on PCS.

So will LTE on SMR have a better chance of being deployed in areas with coverage issues due to terrain? Example: the hills of Tennessee(rural coverage is a nightmare at the moment)

The vast majority of sites will get 800mhz SMR at some point.

Another update regarding SMR 800 in my neighborhood:

Sprint's finally got it turned on near my mom's shop in the Bridgeport neighborhood! (Chicago) Now I'm finally getting to experience what SMR 800 is like in an urban setting, and I'll tell you it's just like having AT&T or Verizon again in that regard.

I can now make a call from the center of the building where as before I either roamed or just couldn't get a call out. I also now get about 2 bars in the center of the basement, and can successfully make a crystal clear call or send/receive texts. (Before it would be stuck on no service, and no calls or texts whatsoever)

Also as a result the signal strength doesn't fluctuate as wildly as it does on 1900.

• Like 8

Another update regarding SMR 800 in my neighborhood:

Sprint's finally got it turned on near my mom's shop in the Bridgeport neighborhood! (Chicago) Now I'm finally getting to experience what SMR 800 is like in an urban setting, and I'll tell you it's just like having AT&T or Verizon again in that regard.

I can now make a call from the center of the building where as before I either roamed or just couldn't get a call out. I also now get about 2 bars in the center of the basement, and can successfully make a crystal clear call or send/receive texts. (Before it would be stuck on no service, and no calls or texts whatsoever)

Also as a result the signal strength doesn't fluctuate as wildly as it does on 1900.

That is awesome to hear. How is the Data/EVDO/LTE connection in the same place? Can you surf the web, send out emails, or do picture texts from that basement?

How is the Data/EVDO/LTE connection in the same place?

Both EV-DO and LTE remain PCS 1900 MHz. Only CDMA1X is on SMR 800 MHz. If CDMA1X 1900 is not available in the center of the basement, then EV-DO 1900 and LTE 1900 will almost assuredly not be available either.

AJ

That is awesome to hear. How is the Data/EVDO/LTE connection in the same place? Can you surf the web, send out emails, or do picture texts from that basement?

It had no problem connecting to 1X. Didn't attempt to pull up anything but I assume it's fairly usable for what it is. EVDO speed has been making a slow improvement as LTE coverage has been increasing.

I just finally got around to checking out the site map. All the sites around where I'm located either are marked 3G/4G or 3G/800/4G. Not all of them have 800 turned on, of course. I'm getting a much stronger signal on SMR800 which is coming from a site further away then the closest PCS site.

Also the site nearest Chinatown has SMR800 too! (anybody that's been to Chinatown knows it's always been a black hole)

I just finally got around to checking out the site map. All the sites around where I'm located either are marked 3G/4G or 3G/800/4G. Not all of them have 800 turned on, of course. I'm getting a much stronger signal on SMR800 which is coming from a site further away then the closest PCS site.

Sprint seems to have turned on SMR800 at a lot of Chicagoland sites which are not yet identified on the reports that Robert gets. In the far Northwest, over 50% of all towers may now have 800, maybe as many as 75%. This has improved voice and text significantly where it is available.

• Like 1

Sprint seems to have turned on SMR800 at a lot of Chicagoland sites which are not yet identified on the reports that Robert gets. In the far Northwest, over 50% of all towers may now have 800, maybe as many as 75%. This has improved voice and text significantly where it is available.

It seems 800 goes live long before acceptance.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I know for a fact that many of the sites around here were live before they were "accepted" BUT, I'd find myself getting kicked off those sites often. I'd connect in an area that was accepted, then travel to somewhere where the site I was currently on isn't "done" yet and get kicked off it eventually.

I know for a fact that many of the sites around here were live before they were "accepted" BUT, I'd find myself getting kicked off those sites often. I'd connect in an area that was accepted, then travel to somewhere where the site I was currently on isn't "done" yet and get kicked off it eventually.

It happens all the time. It's just not consistent. During the Contractor testing phase, they may leave it on. Sprint prefers them not to do this, but it does indeed happen.

Sometimes the site goes live before acceptance, sometimes during, sometimes after, sometimes weeks after. And in rare cases, months. There are hundreds of people involved with accepting sites and different scenarios play out each site.

• 3 weeks later...

So, Sprint 800Mhz just lit up in Columbus, IN.

SID is 22412, just like the Nextel assignment created forever ago.

Signal strength is almost EXACTLY like my Verizon phone when I carry them around now. The numbers literally almost mimic each other. I have yet to see it go over -80db, although I have always had good coverage here at home. The real test will come at work tomorrow in the staircases and basements.

I cannot believe we got 800Mhz THIS early! It is phenomenal!

• Like 7

Signal strength is almost EXACTLY like my Verizon phone when I carry them around now. The numbers literally almost mimic each other. I have yet to see it go over -80db, although I have always had good coverage here at home. The real test will come at work tomorrow in the staircases and basements.

I hate you, I'm on my phone using tapatalk and ur post cut off at Columbus....

Thought you were taking about Ohio, super disappointed once I opened the thread, lol

Let us know how ur testing goes tomorrow, have a good Easter everyone.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

• Like 2

What tool did you use to verify that you were using 800 MHz CDMA? The engineering screen?

That's usually the best way to determine it. Unless you have an iPhone, which has a pretty crappy debug screen.

Sent from my Sprint iPad using Tapatalk HD

SID alone should be a giveaway; the PRL entries for those SIDs simply won't scan anything other than ESMR spectrum for 1X (they will scan PCS for EVDO, though, of course); from digiblur's PRL decodes:

SID: 22412 Sprint Nextel - Bloomington IN; Indianapolis IN; Marion IN Prio:Same Roam:None
1X: S/476 S/526
EV: Sprint(0084:0AC0) P/50 P/650 P/550 P/325 P/475 P/600 P/125

SID: 4135 Sprint - Indianapolis IN Prio:Same Roam:None
1X: P/50 P/25 P/200 P/100 P/75 P/350 P/925 P/325 P/375

SID: 4148 Sprint - Louisville Lexington Evansville KY Prio:More Roam:None
1X: P/500 P/625 P/575 P/675 P/425