Sensorly - New market deployements

great, thanks for the info. Before it would count both 2g/3g and 4g when connected to 4g, only 2g/3g when connected otherwise. It has always worked that way on my evo, from the first time I downloaded the app.

before I updated my evo to this latest version of the phone software, sensorly would count both 2g/3g and 4g now it is only counting 4g connections? Is anyone else seeing this?

That is the way it should work as the EVO LTE can't really be connected to EV and LTE at the same time. It shouldn't reported as 1x either as that would be just wrong.

Sent from my little Note2

My GS3 and EVO both counted 2G/3G points while mapping 4G as well. I never really questioned that. I assumed it was mapping the 1x signal?

I don't have any LTE nearby to see if anything changed, at least until the Joplin site goes live ;)

• Like 1

My Note2 only counts 4g points even though it could physically monitor both evdo and LTE at the same time in real time due to the way the baseband is setup.

Might want to drop the Sensorly dev a note as he does come around from time to time.

My Note2 only counts 4g points even though it could physically monitor both evdo and LTE at the same time in real time due to the way the baseband is setup.

Might want to drop the Sensorly dev a note as he does come around from time to time.

In KC for the weekend. I'm fairly certain that my GS3 did record 2G/3G points at the same time as 4G before, but it does not know. Sounds like that was an update.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a big Grey area in queens ny. I thought the Grey was gone.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Someone apparently has a phone that reports "No LTE" to Sensorly. Only a few phones do that. Just means there's no LTE there yet. Once it comes online and someone maps there, it'll go away.

Sensorly,

I think it's time to put your app on Cydia ;)

I am excited that LTE is starting to light up in my area (not sure if testing or launching), but in any case, would love to collect data from my iPad!

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can Sensorly be run from an old Android phone that is no longer activated on the Sprint network? I have an iPhone but would like to contribute to the Sensorly maps when LTE starts popping up around here.

A friend upgraded to a Galaxy S4 but still has his Galaxy S3. It has no access to the Sprint network except for Emergency calls (911). I'm assuming Sensorly could still be installed via WiFi on this phone, but would it map LTE correctly without being activated on the Sprint network?

Can Sensorly be run from an old Android phone that is no longer activated on the Sprint network? I have an iPhone but would like to contribute to the Sensorly maps when LTE starts popping up around here.

A friend upgraded to a Galaxy S4 but still has his Galaxy S3. It has no access to the Sprint network except for Emergency calls (911). I'm assuming Sensorly could still be installed via WiFi on this phone, but would it map LTE correctly without being activated on the Sprint network?

You could upgrade to the S3 ;)

Not sure, I guess you could try. You might get mixed results as AGPS does require data but maybe it could snag from wifi.

I do know on sites that are in testing mode kick me off as soon as data is attempted to be pulled. So you may run into sites kicking you off LTE when data tries to transfer on other background processes. Could end up with some very mixed results. Give it a try and let us know.

• Like 1

I think its certainly possible.. I have a couple of inactive phones that I use for testing, and most apps work very well using only wifi. I know SignalCheck works, so your S3 should be able to see signal strengths. Sensorly has a setting that allows you to only report data when on wifi, so you can try enabling that; hopefully it collects data all the time, and not just when on wifi..

-Mike

I don't think it ever picks up lte. Someone in the sf market thread said it doesn't work. I think it was rwong48

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

He said it here. http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2225-Network-Vision/LTE---SF-Bay-Market&do=findComment&comment=140304

I tried already no LTE, not even eHRPD. EvdoA all the time. SignalCheck can't even see LTE.

At some point in the past, I mapped with my deactivated EVO Shift 4G. I was able to map WiMAX intermittently, but mapping WiMAX wasn't worth the trouble.

• Like 1

I don't think it ever picks up lte. Someone in the sf market thread said it doesn't work. I think it was rwong48

I was able to pick up and connect to LTE on my Galaxy Nexus and it's on seasonal standby. Can't use data on the phone even with LTE.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

My past attempts to get unactivated devices to detect LTE have been unsuccessful. Just 1x. And then it won't even authenticate to that.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sprint Customer Service is telling customers on Twitter to use Sensorly to look for LTE coverage! Pretty cool...

Sprint Care @sprintcare @Barretting 4G is avail and w/in 90days we'll have nearly the whole area covered. Pls try the 3rd party app Sensorly to see 4G cvg. -CRP

Retweeted by Sensorly

• Like 3

Sprint Customer Service is telling customers on Twitter to use Sensorly to look for LTE coverage! Pretty cool...

Sprint Care @sprintcare @Barretting 4G is avail and w/in 90days we'll have nearly the whole area covered. Pls try the 3rd party app Sensorly to see 4G cvg. -CRP

Retweeted by Sensorly

Next thing you know, Sprint Customer Service will tell Sprint customers to use s4gru.com for complete, reliable, detailed information, and network education.

• Like 10

Next thing you know, Sprint Customer Service will tell Sprint customers to use s4gru.com for complete, reliable, detailed information, and network education.

They already are.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I am also anxiously awaiting a version for iPhone with reporting.

We have an iOS app that shows the maps and has the speed test stuff.

But apple doesn't provide apis for collecting signal strength and, although we have found some hidden APIs, they wouldn't be allowed on the appstore http://s4gru.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.png

Can you make a Cydia app? You'd be able to use the hidden APIs.

i think the idea is to stay in apple's good graces and following their rules... im sure he could(make a Cydia app)

but then they would be breaking the tos and then lose access to app store... kind of defeats the purpose...