Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

Nope. If anything, I think I was getting LTE more often than I remember getting.

I'm seeing it in Vista, Oceanside, and off and on in some Encinitas areas.

Any of you experiencing a lot of 3G service at LTE sites? I've been noticing a lot of this all throughout North County all week.

Last week I noticed they switched band preference away from B41 which, for some reason, makes people drop to 3g more (seems illogical). I noticed that starting yesterday, at least in OC, they may have fixed the issue as my phone would death grip onto B41 again to around 140dbm which minimized my drops to 3g.

I still drop to 3G on my iPhone everyone in San Diego.  I will be switching to the S7 when it comes out because I have had better experience on Samsungs in San Diego.

Perhaps my comparatively better experience has to do with working pretty much across the street from a Sprint tower? (Sorrento Valley area.) Even when I'm not there I seem to get LTE the majority of the time when I'm outside. Not so much inside though.

What's bothersome is that the stuff they put on the towers only supports B25 and B41, not B26. Even if all of the IBEZ and other issues with B26 are taken care of Sprint would need to go back and install B26 supporting stuff. It could be years before that's fully usable. What they really should do is look at the customers who spend the most time on 3G and prioritize the areas that have the highest concentrations of such customers for densification. Ideally there'd be close enough small cell and macro cell spacing such that devices never drop to 3G even when indoors.

Anyway, I also think foregoing the 600MHz auction is a mistake (in large part due to SD not being a strong market) but we'll see.

Perhaps my comparatively better experience has to do with working pretty much across the street from a Sprint tower? (Sorrento Valley area.) Even when I'm not there I seem to get LTE the majority of the time when I'm outside. Not so much inside though.

What's bothersome is that the stuff they put on the towers only supports B25 and B41, not B26. Even if all of the IBEZ and other issues with B26 are taken care of Sprint would need to go back and install B26 supporting stuff. It could be years before that's fully usable. What they really should do is look at the customers who spend the most time on 3G and prioritize the areas that have the highest concentrations of such customers for densification. Ideally there'd be close enough small cell and macro cell spacing such that devices never drop to 3G even when indoors.

Anyway, I also think foregoing the 600MHz auction is a mistake (in large part due to SD not being a strong market) but we'll see.

Most sites already have the antenna to support B26. They just need permit B26 RRU when ready. It would rather take several months to get done as its not replacing the attennas.

I still drop to 3G on my iPhone everyone in San Diego.  I will be switching to the S7 when it comes out because I have had better experience on Samsungs in San Diego.

Echoing bucdenny's experience here. I've been on "staycation" the last week, running all over SD with some out-of-town guests. My iPhone 6S hangs onto LTE better than my HTC M8, but still I've been dropping to 3G like crazy in areas where I normally have good LTE: El Cajon, Spring Valley, La Mesa, Sorrento Mesa, Downtown, Airport / Harbor Drive, North Park, Del Mar. Also had a lot of drops-to-3G in Escondido and San Marcos, but then the network seems to do that in those areas anyway.

:(

Echoing bucdenny's experience here. I've been on "staycation" the last week, running all over SD with some out-of-town guests. My iPhone 6S hangs onto LTE better than my HTC M8, but still I've been dropping to 3G like crazy in areas where I normally have good LTE: El Cajon, Spring Valley, La Mesa, Sorrento Mesa, Downtown, Airport / Harbor Drive, North Park, Del Mar. Also had a lot of drops-to-3G in Escondido and San Marcos, but then the network seems to do that in those areas anyway.

:(

My S6 holds on LTE and switch to B41 much faster than my iPhone. Places I drop to 3G on iPhone, my S6 hangs on LTE. I hope the S7 will be even better than the S6.

My S6 holds on LTE and switch to B41 much faster than my iPhone. Places I drop to 3G on iPhone, my S6 hangs on LTE. I hope the S7 will be even better than the S6.

My Galaxy Nexus made me scared of Samsung radios pretty much forever ...  :wacko:

• Like 1

The latest public 800TA report seems to indicate that most San Diego County licensees still haven't cleared out of their old frequencies. I'm thinking that the sighting above is a test for now. February is the month when they're all supposed to be moved though.

• Like 1

Connected to band 26 tonight in Poway. Is this just testing and temporary?

Where at in Poway? Many sites in San Diego have the 800mhz RRU and I havent seen any live yet. This would be a good site to verify.

Also use signalcheck pro as well in addition to LTE discovery.

Shame the Nexus 6P engineering screens are broken as hell..

If it indeed confirms B26, I wonder if it's 5mhz or 3mhz? Maybe they made a deal with AT&T?

I was in Poway this morning but wasn't in that area. Will drop by tomorrow to check it out with my iPhone and Samsung.