Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

I happen to be running errands in Vista today, and noticed a tower over in Civic Center area was back on. I took the back roads of S. Sante Fe Ave to avoid traffic on the 78. Notice LTE popped up, mapped up Santa Fe Av, took a right onto Civic Center Dr where I also noticed full LTE strength on phone, and when I got to the end of Civic Center Dr, I made a right on East Vista Way. I was surprised it lasted that long.

Bookertdub mentioned Mission Ave and Fallbrook. I wonder if Bonsall will be lit soon. I seen a spot over in Pala. I continued on until the end of E. Vista Way/76, and my network was showing 1xRTT in that area, and a large portion heading west to Oside.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, driving back from on I-15 from Rancho Cucamonga to State Route 76, my phone would lose data service for about half a minute to a minute and then regain data service. I never lost voice service. I would say this happened about 5 or 6 times from about 9:50pm to about 11:20pm last night.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm wondering where the UCSD tower is. It's not the one down by the 52. But it did cover La Jolla Village Drive where I mapped, and someone also mapped Gilman.

I did some mapping later on Friday afternoon. I was only able to get some LTE on La Jolla Scenic N and Sugarman. This morning I had a great signal but no GPS to map with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm wondering where the UCSD tower is. It's not the one down by the 52. But it did cover La Jolla Village Drive where I mapped' date=' and someone also mapped Gilman.[/quote']

There's a Sprint tower right by the VA hospital entrance. That's one of the first blips i got LTE service a month ago.

I've been mapping in my part of Pt. Loma, where there seems to be two active LTE towers. One tower, near the Fresh n Easy on Catalina Blvd. by Talbot St. Where the signal looks to be pointed south along Catalina.

The other nexus, seems to be at Ebers and Pt. Loma Ave. My list shows that tower actually 1/2 block east of Sunset Cliffs Blvd. along the south side of Pt. Loma Ave. That LTE source would be great for me- I live within the purple painted area- except due to the folds of the land I currently have no LTE connection.

So howcome 3g gets to me and 4g doesn't? For that matter, I've walked and driven past the edges of the purple and there are holes that persist on the map- is the signal blocked because of the land's ridges and dipping there? Is that why no apparent signal at Venice and Savoy and yet Venice and Del Mar has a signal? - But the crest follows along Santa Barbara from Orchard north so both are below the lip of the hill.

The next tower to the north, still on 3g now, is I believe at Lotus and Bacon (near Robb Field). That tower may not be of use to us to the south as there are two ridges between there and my area. One ridge along Narragansett and the other along Coronado both block line-of-sight to the tower.

So, how much earth can these signals go through?

So I finally got out and did some mapping around La Jolla Village today. I got a chunk of La Jolla Scenic N and the surrounding neighborhood. I think the signal was being cycled while I was mapping. I was getting some really strong signals that would just die in random spots and then come back. I verified that the map data I uploaded shows some very dark spots that just end without fading to a weaker signal color.

Regardless, I go through that site no less than two times a day so I'll just keep mapping it.

Edited by sqy0h
  • Like 1

Is it really true that there no LTE in all of Pacific Beach and Clairemont? Or do they just need mapping?

Sad, but true. I work in Clairemont and the area is neglected. I keep an eye on that giant mono-pole on Balboa behind the Alta Dena dairy, and the antennas on the tall medical building at Balboa/Genessee, but there has been no activity yet. It seems like if they upgrade these two sites it would cover a huge swath because they're high up.

Garden View tower in Encinitas is off. Been getting 1xRTT in parts of Encinitas Blvd.

At lunch, I used the Antennas app I found the 4G antenna to be off of Pasteur Court, 92008. It was on top of the Solana Beach Baking building, according to Google Maps. Got 22 Mbps DL, not too bad. Around 4:30, it went off and I was getting zero point zero negligible 3G. It's really annoying that when they shut off the 4G, the 3G might as well be two cups on a string.

Poinsettia is off, nothing there.

UCSD tower also seems off, I didn't get any blips when mapping on the way home.

• Like 1

UCSD tower also seems off, I didn't get any blips when mapping on the way home.

I don't think there's an NV tower at UCSD. Do you mean the one along I-5 between Gilman and 52?