Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

I drove up to Tustin last weekend and didn't get any LTE. Was really hoping to get some good mapping done. At least there's progress.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Although I'd like to believe this I wouldn't put stock in anything they tell you at a Sprint store. Corporate or not.

But...didn't Robert say a long time ago that they light up a city when about 25% of the sites are upgraded?

Although I'd like to believe this I wouldn't put stock in anything they tell you at a Sprint store. Corporate or not.

But...didn't Robert say a long time ago that they light up a city when about 25% of the sites are upgraded?

I thought I remember reading that it was closer to 30% or 40%

I've heard from several corp. sprint store employees that LTE will be turned on for most of San Diego tomorrow. Has anyone else of heard of this? or is there any legit proof of this?

have asked them for a time :-)

I've heard from several corp. sprint store employees that LTE will be turned on for most of San Diego tomorrow. Has anyone else of heard of this? or is there any legit proof of this?

Most likely someone just throwing you a line. We know which sites have been accepted as 4G complete, and 90% of the time, sites don't got live until they have been accepted at 4G complete. So with the number of sites currently completed, it's highly unlikely that LTE will be turned on for "most of San Diego." They may turn on a few more sites, but a flood of LTE all over the place probably isn't going to happen. The LTE rollout just doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

Getting closer to my house, barely 1000ft away. I think the service is actually on the hill to the west of Dictionary Hill, because there are gaps wherever there are dips, especially around the Hwy 125 overpass.

Interestingly enough, this is the first time in almost two weeks that I've picked up LTE around my house, even after I originally mapped it.

2013-03-15%2021.14.38.png

• Like 1

Are you really losing sleep on reading that press release that makes absolutely zero changes on site upgrades?

Sent from my little Note2

Are you really losing sleep on reading that press release that makes absolutely zero changes on site upgrades?

Yes. I am losing sleep over something that I have no idea what you're talking about. What press release? Your quote from me in the post above I was commenting on what the dude in the Sprint store said.

Yes. I am losing sleep over something that I have no idea what you're talking about. What press release? Your quote from me in the post above I was commenting on what the dude in the Sprint store said.

The press release stating the market has launched. People always get hung up on this and keep asking when the market is going to launch. It doesn't mean anything except for a press release and an update on the Sprint coverage map. It has no bearing on actual active LTE sites.

OK...let me clarify some things. There is no such thing as a LTE light up...where the whole city goes on at once. Each site goes live the moment it is ready. So do not expect dozens or hundreds of sites to go on at once when Sprint announces market launch.

Deployment will continue in San Diego with 5-12 LTE sites going online every week. It may even speed up a little and get up to 20-25. The San Diego deployment has been going faster than almost any other AlcaLu market ever.

Eventually they will get to a decent amount of coverage and launch the market. Market launches typically happen between 30% and 60% of the sites being live. But there is a lot of variability of launches between markets. They may split the market up into several launches. They may launch Chula Vista or Carlsbad, etc. as separate launches.

The formal launch is just a milestone. Nothing special happens with coverage or new sites at launch. The coverage is the same right before launch as right after. Launch is just a press release telling everyone the pool is open, go swimming. Deployment continues the same before launch as after launch. They will just keep deploying, more sites go live each week as they're ready.

The only significance after launch is that the coverage is shown on their maps and it becomes official. So Sprint reps will acknowledge the sites are there and can open tickets if necessary. Also, LTE sites should go down/offline less often after launch. But it still occurs occasionally, just less often.

If someone is waiting for a switch to be flipped, or the whole city to light up at once...well, it doesn't happen that way. Deployment will continue with more sites going live every week. Steady as she goes.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

If someone is waiting for a switch to be flipped...

Somewhere, Brian Regan's ears just perked up.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Somewhere, Brian Regan's ears just perked up.

:P

AJ

I was supposed to see Brian Regan last month, but those plans fell through. I'm still bummed.

For those who don't know what we're talking about:

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1