Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Just updated both profile and PRL. I also just checked Sensorly again on my phone. It is now showing my trip from just west of 41, up to hwy D on 41, and back to 33. Maybe I'll check again tomorrow after work (or maybe during work.......!!!)

The Googles told me that eHRPD is the software upgrade portion for tower handoffs with LTE, so its a precursor, but not necessarily anytime soon kinda precursor, right?

Hmm only 2 out of the first 3 results for me are s4gru. Gotta fix that.

The problem with pointing you at "the article" is that pretty much every article here is another relevant part of network vision. First I would start with the stickies on the top of the Network Vision forum, especially the "what is network vision" or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Another LTE site accepted in the Milwaukee market today. This one was close to Madison, just south of McFarland. It will be on the map update tonight.

Robert

• Like 3

Another LTE site accepted in the Milwaukee market today. This one was close to Madison, just south of McFarland. It will be on the map update tonight.

Robert

It's almost depressing to hear that the boonies are getting the upgrades before the bigger cities. And nothing against our Madisonians, but dammit, we Milwaukeeans were here first! :)

It's almost depressing to hear that the boonies are getting the upgrades before the bigger cities. And nothing against our Madisonians, but dammit, we Milwaukeeans were here first! :)

The sites aren't selected based on location, but which ones are ready. On a map it will appear like a shotgun spray over Southern Wisconsin. Madison will not get all the love.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

The sites aren't selected based on location, but which ones are ready. On a map it will appear like a shotgun spray over Southern Wisconsin. Madison will not get all the love.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

May the shots fire upon my city! Mad town baby!! lol

Edited by mr.phoneguy
  • Like 1

Hmm only 2 out of the first 3 results for me are s4gru. Gotta fix that.

The problem with pointing you at "the article" is that pretty much every article here is another relevant part of network vision. First I would start with the stickies on the top of the Network Vision forum, especially the "what is network vision" or something along those lines.

Yes, I know that and I thank you all for great contributions. I just was confused on the points that I asked as they weren't very clear to me from reading. thanks for the responses though, I believe I have now filled in my knowledge gaps. Aren't forums great.

I made a quick drive down to the south side of McFarland. LTE is active!

From the edge of the cell area I ran a speed test, ~10mb up, ~4mb down. I didn't have much time so I didn't drive deeper into the cell to do further speed tests... a project for another time.

I was running Sensorly so check out the glorious purple :) (you might need to zoom in a ways... fresh traces seem to take a while to bubble up to the zoomed out views.

• Like 4

From the edge of the cell area I ran a speed test, ~10mb up, ~4mb down. I didn't have much time so I didn't drive deeper into the cell to do further speed tests... a project for another time.

I was running Sensorly so check out the glorious purple :) (you might need to zoom in a ways... fresh traces seem to take a while to bubble up to the zoomed out views.

Ha, I was just trying to think up an excuse to tell my wife why we needed to drive to McFarland tonight. :P

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I just saw the NV Sites Complete map as it was updated today. It looks like the 3G portion of NV was complete on the site near the MillerCoors building downtown. If that goes live with 4G soon i will be able to test it out!

• Like 1

I see it!! I had too zoom in close in order to see the purple streak right there on hwy 51 by babcat park! you just marked the first Sprint LTE signal in Dane county. Congrats and good job!!

• Like 2

I just saw the NV Sites Complete map as it was updated today. It looks like the 3G portion of NV was complete on the site near the MillerCoors building downtown. If that goes live with 4G soon i will be able to test it out!

Guess I'll be running Sensorly on my morning and evening commutes. I usually putter along at about 25 mph and should have no problems picking up a signal.

• Like 1

Because I have nothing better to do, I think I'll head out to the Lake Mills area and see what I can get there :) Eastbound rest stop looks like a perfect place.

Maybe I'll check out the Fort Atkinson one, too.

• Like 1

Because I have nothing better to do, I think I'll head out to the Lake Mills area and see what I can get there :) Eastbound rest stop looks like a perfect place.

Maybe I'll check out the Fort Atkinson one, too.

Lets see some pictures and screenshots!

Test Date: May 2, 2013 8:54:50 pm

Connection Type: Lte

Server: Milwaukee, WI

Download: 21169 kbps

Upload: 9087 kbps

Ping: 63 ms

External IP: 66.87.6.7

Internal IP: 29.47.126.7

Latitude: 43.08610

Longitude: -88.87426

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/441664340.png

This is from the I-94 E rest stop. I won't drive to the tower, little out of the way, but I'll stop at the one in Fort Atkinson so I'll be right at the tower.

• Like 2

External IP: 66.87.6.7

Internal IP: 29.47.126.7

Latitude: 43.08610

Longitude: -88.87426

Nice!! Were you at the lake mills site or somewhere else?

http://www.speedtest.net/android/441664340.png

This is from the I-94 E rest stop. I won't drive to the tower, little out of the way, but I'll stop at the one in Fort Atkinson so I'll be right at the tower.

Ha. Seriously can't believe this is happening! Thanks for the drive out there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Test Date: May 2, 2013 9:56:56 pm

Download: 19964 kbps

Upload: 5122 kbps

Ping: 54 ms

External IP: 66.87.x

Internal IP: 29.47.x

Latitude: 42.91758

Longitude: -88.84042

http://www.speedtest...d/441702938.png

Fort Atkinson

• Like 1

Test Date: May 2, 2013 10:03:10 pm

Connection Type: EvdoA

Server: Madison, WI

Download: 133 kbps

Upload: 85 kbps

Ping: 820 ms

Latitude: 42.91830

Longitude: -88.84632

http://www.speedtest...d/441707076.png

3G here!?!? I did get 2.1 mbps at 94/26 on 3G

So why is 3G so terrible in Fort Atkinson with the upgrade? Didn't try it in Lake Mills.

And OOPS. I forgot to turn on Sensorly.. :/

I made a Sensorly loop around the McFarland tower. Near lake Kegonsa I passed under a small ridge and lost the LTE signal despite being fairly close to the tower. It seems that the 1900Mhz signal is very line of sight. ~800ft from the tower I ran a couple speed tests... they averaged 19Mbs down and 9Mbs up.

The surprise came when I was driving back into Madison on 51 when the phone flipped over to LTE between Pflaum and Cottage Grove Rd. While stuck in traffic I tried a speed test, 500kbs down and 60kbs up (better than the typical crappy 3G service in Madison).

It's an interesting experiment to map a single tower out. You get to see exact footprint of the tower without getting readings off of the other towers nearby.... that said I'm looking forward to more towers.

• Like 1

I made a Sensorly loop around the McFarland tower. Near lake Kegonsa I passed under a small ridge and lost the LTE signal despite being fairly close to the tower. It seems that the 1900Mhz signal is very line of sight. ~800ft from the tower I ran a couple speed tests... they averaged 19Mbs down and 9Mbs up.

The surprise came when I was driving back into Madison on 51 when the phone flipped over to LTE between Pflaum and Cottage Grove Rd. While stuck in traffic I tried a speed test, 500kbs down and 60kbs up (better than the typical crappy 3G service in Madison).

It's an interesting experiment to map a single tower out. You get to see exact footprint of the tower without getting readings off of the other towers nearby.... that said I'm looking forward to more towers.

YES....YES.... I feel the power in my hands. Now go out there and collect more data my minions.....lol

Seriously though, I plan on running errands all over Madison tomorrow. Its gonna be interesting what results I find. Ill be running sensorly during my entire trip.

OK, so monitoring this thread and reading it for the past 6 months had pretty much convinced me to move away from sprint at the end of this month when my latest 2 year contract was up. But now I want to stay. I even signed up and created an account to post this.

Now I just have to figure out what LTE phone to upgrade our 2 phones to and what the best bang for the buck is.

My Nexus 4g has had a pretty good run but it's getting long in the tooth.