Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

What is wrong with Sprint in the metro area ! There are no evdo towers working at all here! Been stuck in 1x for the past 2 days in areas where Ive had 3g.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

I am having the same problem. Service has been really bad these couple of days. I work at Old San Juan and its kinda of anoying to see the phone battery drain because of the constant looking for data. The bad part is that its all around the metro area not just a part of it. I hope they are doing the NV upgrades to all the towers because I dont think I can be like this for a few more days. The phones are not usuable

What is wrong with Sprint in the metro area ! There are no evdo towers working at all here! Been stuck in 1x for the past 2 days in areas where Ive had 3g.

It's been like that since monday. I dont have data at all. Just called sprint, they told me there were no outages reported.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Samsung seems to upgrade large clusters all at once, so it's possible that what you are seeing is part of the NV upgrade. However, I'm sure there are other reasons for the issues as well. And I would take anything that a Sprint representative tells you with a grain of salt.

my brother called in to Sprint regarding the issues in the Metro area, they told him it should be solved in two parts, one on the 19th (tomorrow), and the other on the 22nd...

we all know that's probably not happening, but I hope it's solved within the next week or two :unsure:

It seems they activated the site in San German in Ave. Casto Perez because today the signal improved down in my basement. Plus the speed is definitively faster.

This is from my phone which is good but for some reason my brothers SIII can easily get around 2.1MPS

.post-5497-1350603146958_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It seems they activated the site in San German in Ave. Casto Perez because today the signal improved down in my basement. Plus the speed is definitively faster.

This is from my phone which is good but for some reason my brothers SIII can easily get around 2.1MPS

.uploadfromtaptalk1350603142907.jpg

I was gonna post this, I did a test a few minutes ago on the Joan Apartments site.

Screenshot_2012-10-18-19-50-02.png

Doesn't it make more sense to speed test using servers in Puerto Rico? Like the Bayamon server? Your results would be more accurate. Your download and upload speed really should be measured where your data hits the backbone to the internet. That is the most accurate result.

If you are testing stateside, then in some ways you really are testing the backbone connection from Puerto Rico to the mainland, which can slow down at times, and not really be providing the results of the Sprint network.

Robert

• Like 3

Doesn't it make more sense to speed test using servers in Puerto Rico? Like the Bayamon server? Your results would be more accurate. Your download and upload speed really should be measured where your data hits the backbone to the internet. That is the most accurate result.

If you are testing stateside, then in some ways you really are testing the backbone connection from Puerto Rico to the mainland, which can slow down at times, and not really be providing the results of the Sprint network.

Robert

Robert thanks for the clarification, we get so hyper when we see those speed that we forget about that details. My problem was I did them while driving, so I close the speed test app a few times and reopen it and the app choose a server on the states. As soon I arrive to Sabana Grande my hometown with no NV equipment., the speed went to 90-100kb. The test weren't the most accurates but we can see a sign of that something good is coming... ;-) I can't wait to see a 4G indicator...

• Like 1

Robert

I would like to test with PR servers but when connected to NV sites the app selects only US servers and if I go to the server select list no PR servers are there. When I connect to a non NV site I do get PR servers assigned and they appear on the selection list. I' m pretty sure it has to do with the difference in the external IPs for the sites.

Found a workaround:

For anyone wishing to test NV sites with local servers you can connect via wifi to a local ISP let the app do its geoip location, go to the server list in tools and manually set a server. Then you can run your test with the local ISP server. In my quick tests the measured values dropped considerably depending on the selected server. The Manati server seems to give the best results of the local PR ISP servers still the best speeds where obtained using the auto selected server in Wellington KS, I can only assume it must be due to the way network is setup. From my limited knowledge I think it might be related to the issue in PR that ISPs don' t have any local interchange for local traffic in PR between themselves, all data travels to the connections in Florida then back to PR. I believe that was one of the many reasons for the PR Bridge Initiative project but I may be mistaken I'm just guessing here.

• Like 4

I would like to test with PR servers but when connected to NV sites the app selects only US servers and if I go to the server select list no PR servers are there. When I connect to a non NV site I do get PR servers assigned and they appear on the selection list. I' m pretty sure it has to do with the difference in the external IPs for the sites.

Found a workaround:

For anyone wishing to test NV sites with local servers you can connect via wifi to a local ISP let the app do its geoip location' date=' go to the server list in tools and manually set a server. Then you can run your test with the local ISP server. In my quick tests the measured values dropped considerably depending on the selected server. The Manati server seems to give the best results of the local PR ISP servers still the best speeds where obtained using the auto selected server in Wellington KS, I can only assume it must be due to the way network is setup. From my limited knowledge I think it might be related to the issue in PR that ISPs don' t have any local interchange for local traffic in PR between themselves, all data travels to the connections in Florida then back to PR. I believe that was one of the many reasons for the PR Bridge Initiative project but I may be mistaken I'm just guessing here.[/quote']

I interpret this to mean that the Bayamon core is still not ready and they are sending data to a stateside core. Thanks for the feedback.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 4

I interpret this to mean that the Bayamon core is still not ready and they are sending data to a stateside core. Thanks for the feedback.

Robert, do you know why the metro area is experiencing issues right now? There is no EVDO in most of the metro area for some reason and im getting TONS of dropped calls. Could this be because of the backhaul being worked on in Bayamon?

Robert' date=' do you know why the metro area is experiencing issues right now? There is no EVDO in most of the metro area for some reason and im getting TONS of dropped calls. Could this be because of the backhaul being worked on in Bayamon?[/quote']

I'm pretty sure it is Network Vision related. Probably not backhaul, though.

• Like 1

Im algo getting this in about phone. Never had this happen before. Weird :blink:

I get this when it will not authenticate with the Sprint network. It happens to me occasionally when switching back and forth between roaming and the Sprint network.

Greetings everyone! I was so glad to find a forum specifically dealing with the NV/LTE rollout for Puerto Rico. After reading the entire contents on the thread my question is: Is Sprint's strategy to deploy a "basic" NV/LTE network following the footprint of the existing 3g network and subsequently (after turning on the new network) retrofit the remaining towers? Also, given that there is greater penetration using the new equipment, does this imply that some of the towers may not need to be upgraded but rather decommissioned?

• Like 1

Greetings everyone! I was so glad to find a forum specifically dealing with the NV/LTE rollout for Puerto Rico. After reading the entire contents on the thread my question is: Is Sprint's strategy to deploy a "basic" NV/LTE network following the footprint of the existing 3g network and subsequently (after turning on the new network) retrofit the remaining towers? Also' date=' given that there is greater penetration using the new equipment, does this imply that some of the towers may not need to be upgraded but rather decommissioned?[/quote']

Sprint will be upgrading backhaul, installing new equipment/radios and LTE at every Sprint site in Puerto Rico. There will be no decommissioning.

The signal only goes out 20% further, not enough to start removing any sites. The result will be 20% stronger signals within existing footprint, and up to 20% further distance at edge of service areas. Not all edge of service areas will extend the full 20%, as it depends on the downtilt of the panels at the tower and the local topography (like hills and mountains).

• Like 4

Greetings everyone! I was so glad to find a forum specifically dealing with the NV/LTE rollout for Puerto Rico. After reading the entire contents on the thread my question is: Is Sprint's strategy to deploy a "basic" NV/LTE network following the footprint of the existing 3g network and subsequently (after turning on the new network) retrofit the remaining towers? Also, given that there is greater penetration using the new equipment, does this imply that some of the towers may not need to be upgraded but rather decommissioned?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sprint is installing new equipment on all the towers except like 100 sites on the states.

So theyre gonna upgrade all the towers, and then after everything is working, they gonna remove the old panels and cabinets, basicaly they're replacing old equiment with new one. I think they're decomissioning only some iDEN towers in the US mainland.

Seeing finally those speed in so many areas so quick, its a dream come true, no more waiting to see if is true. This isn't Wimax deployment again... this what we hope for so long.

• Like 1