Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Sprint needs to buy more spectrum in PR in order to deploy B26 LTE. They have plenty to do CDMA 800 though.

There are a lot of 800MHz spectrum squatters WHO HAVE FAILED to build out their networks by FCC Buildout timelines there. By many years. Sprint has been complaining to get the FCC to revoke those licenses. As they should have years ago. But Sprint may buy those licenses from the squatters in order to deploy LTE. Which would be kind of sad. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

Im not that familiar with this but does that mean they can at least use 800 on voice. I would take that for now.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Yes, once the FCC certifies the rebanding of 800 SMR is complete, Sprint could start deploying 800 voice.

Ok great. Thank you. Do you think Sprint would deploy 800 cdma without LTE or just wait? I know they have verified that Spark is coming to PR.

They have deployed CDMA 800 without LTE just about everywhere else initially. So I think there's a good chance they would without it. And when they add CDMA 800, they will install almost everything needed for future LTE too. Making the add of LTE 800 in the future quick and relatively simple.

Ok great. Thank you. Do you think Sprint would deploy 800 cdma without LTE or just wait? I know they have verified that Spark is coming to PR.

Spark is 2.5 ghz band 41. At this time they may be able to squeeze a 1.4 mhz lte + 1.25 mhz cdma 1x for the 3x3. I'm not sure if many sprint devices are actually certified for 1.4 mhz FDD lte on 800 though.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thats sounds awesome. To me 800 is more important here than 2500 as theres only a couple of metro areas (San Juan mostly)and the rest is rural.

Last quesion ( I hope lol ). The link I posted stated that reband was complete in PR and USVI. Does Sprint still need approval to deploy?

Thats sounds awesome. To me 800 is more important here than 2500 as theres only a couple of metro areas (San Juan mostly)and the rest is rural.

Last quesion ( I hope lol ). The link I posted stated that reband was complete in PR and USVI. Does Sprint still need approval to deploy?

Yes. After Sprint says the rebanding is complete in a region, they file it with the Rebanding Administrator. That's what is reported in the article. The next step is the Administrator will file with the FCC asking them to certify the rebanding is complete in that region. If memory serves, it takes 30-60 days for that to occur.

So some time in September or October, Sprint will get a green light from the FCC and Sprint can start using their newly rebanded 800 spectrum. If Sprint is indeed planning to deploy soon, they are likely already working on logistics. Equipment, permitting, etc. If they started that process early enough, they may be able to start deploying immediately upon FCC certification. But we just don't know what Sprint's 800 plans are in PR at the moment. We just are guessing they would deploy now voice only.

Great. I know PR is not a major market but Marcelo stated he wants to expand in Latin America and PR can lead the way. Triband would elevate Sprint 1 or 2 here. Only AT&T would compete because of its 700 mhz. Tmobile may deploy wideband here ( not sure if they plan too) but they dont have any lowband license here so they will get passed.

Edited by smooth25
  • Like 1

They have been upgrading the antennas for what I can tell. Passed by the Ponce letters on the hwy and I got 30mpbs down and 10 up. That's what I call speed. Don't have that by my house so I'm assuming they haven't started working on the tower near me. Also noticed stronger LTE. Never had more than 2 LTE bars, now I have 3. Not sure if that is related. So far so good Sprint.

I also get high speeds while driving on the highway, since most of the time nearby sites aren't as congested. 

856925_466969496702190_546375850_o.jpg

Sprint should buy local operator Open Mobile.. what do you guys think? . They run..cdma plus lte 700mhz

This is a good idea. Sprint needs some more business to generate revenue. They need to buy something outside of their cellular business. It would help them badly. Marcelo Claure are you listening? Estas oyendo?

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint should buy local operator Open Mobile.. what do you guys think? . They run..cdma plus lte 700mhz

This is a good idea. Sprint needs some more business to generate revenue. They need to buy something outside of their cellular business. It would help them badly. Marcelo Claure are you listening? Estas oyendo?

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Yes.. Buying out Verizons local roaming partner who runs band 13 750mhz lte is a great idea...

Not going to happen. Verizon will buyout the smaller carrier before sprint can get their hands on the band 13 network.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Anybody know what's happening in Mayagüez... Last 4 or 5 days service has been kind of crappy....

Have you seen any action at Sprint sites?  They may be working on B41 (Spark).

• Like 2