Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

One problem for customers under the Sprint's prioritization scheme is that there is no exact amount of data consumption that will place them within the top 5 percent of users in any given month, and the threshold will change monthly as demand changes. But Sprint said customers who typically use 5 GB or more in a given month will likely be in that uppermost tier.

Read more: Sprint slams on the brakes for top 5% of data users in congested areas - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-slams-brakes-top-5-data-users-congested-areas/2014-05-08#ixzz31KSIY017

Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer. I'm not inventing my comments. Maybe I read bad, but there you go what I read. We need to wait to see this in real. I have friends in T-Mobile spending 30gb a month without any change in download speed. Hope Sprint don't change its policies. We believe things will go better in Sprint, but news like this hummm let us be skeptical. But I'm still happy with my 7 framily haha. This is a must!

Thanks for your answer. I'm not inventing my comments. Maybe I read bad, but there you go what I read. We need to wait to see this in real. I have friends in T-Mobile spending 30gb a month without any change in download speed. Hope Sprint don't change its policies. We believe things will go better in Sprint, but news like this hummm let us be skeptical. But I'm still happy with my 7 framily haha. This is a must!

I think they were just throwing out that number as an estimate. They would've been much better to just day top 5% of heavy users. Not throwing in a number.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Anyone knows if the spark technology will eventually support voice and data at the same time?!?!?

Just got an LGG2 and it drops data whenever a phone call is placed

To me this is going backwards!!!!!

Not until VoLTE.  If you want tri band Spark, you have to give up SVLTE.  Those are the facts.

AJ

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Local news coverage of Sprint's CEO recent visit to Puerto Rico. Spark with band 41 imminent.

http://m.elnuevodia.com/detuatuconelceodesprint-1859161.html

Cool article. The translation through Google was rough, but it got the general gist across. It sounds like the island is going to get a nice capital infusion and more autonomy. That's a good thing as long as Miss Eaves is a competent executive. A 6% market share is sad especially how hot and heavy they were with Network Vision there in the early going. Getting 2.5 GHz there will really give the speeds a boost. Getting the 800 MHz mess there straightened out will really help with coverage. Hopefully they have a plan in place to get the squatter situation resolved with the FCC. I'd also hope that all of the capital won't be spent on just San Juan and it'd be nice if some of the hyper aggressiveness trickles over to the USVI as well.

• Like 2

Cool article. The translation through Google was rough, but it got the general gist across. It sounds like the island is going to get a nice capital infusion and more autonomy. That's a good thing as long as Miss Eaves is a competent executive. A 6% market share is sad especially how hot and heavy they were with Network Vision there in the early going. Getting 2.5 GHz there will really give the speeds a boost. Getting the 800 MHz mess there straightened out will really help with coverage. Hopefully they have a plan in place to get the squatter situation resolved with the FCC. I'd also hope that all of the capital won't be spent on just San Juan and it'd be nice if some of the hyper aggressiveness trickles over to the USVI as well.

I don't think Sprint will ever deploy 800 in PR because that band frequency is used by a local company which offers a iDEN based service.

I don't think Sprint will ever deploy 800 in PR because that band frequency is used by a local company which offers a iDEN based service.

You're referring to Proxtel. However, there's a bit more to it than that.

After rebanding in PR is complete, license holders using narrowband (iDEN) should not be in the new upper SMR section. They need to be in the down frequency section away from interfering with wideband operations in the upper.

It's the whole purpose of SMR rebanding to begin with, as the wideband operations in the Cellular band were stomping all over the narrowband iDEN users.  Especially public safety agencies.  Narrowband spectrum squatters may try to keep their licenses in a narrowband configuration in the upper section to try to cock block Sprint into forcing them to buy them out at unreasonable terms.  But Sprint is fighting them to be allowed to keep their licenses as their build out requirements expired in 2010 and they haven't attempted to even build out any type of network, ever.  Those licenses now belong to the taxpayers, and not greedy speculators.

Sprint currently has 2.5x2.5 in PR. If it can get the squatters licenses thrown out, they may be able to get more for a meaningful deployment.  Spectrum squatters are law breakers and should not be rewarded.  FCC build out requirements were created just to prevent these types of immoral and likely illegal activities.  I'm looking for the FCC to do the right thing and give them the big middle fingers these asswipes deserve.

• Like 5

The rental car shuttle bus driver at the airport yesterday was using a Nextel, or Nextel-like two-way phone to communicate with his dispatcher. Service here is kind of decent. A little slow, though.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 1

After rebanding in PR is complete, license holders using narrowband (iDEN) should not be in the new upper SMR section. They need to be in the down frequency section away from interfering with wideband operations in the upper.

It's the whole purpose of SMR rebanding to begin with, as the wideband operations in the Cellular band were stomping all over the narrowband iDEN users.  Especially public safety agencies.  Narrowband spectrum squatters may try to keep their licenses in a narrowband configuration in the upper section to try to cock block Sprint into forcing them to buy them out at unreasonable terms.  But Sprint is fighting them to be allowed to keep their licenses as their build out requirements expired in 2010 and they haven't attempted to even build out any type of network, ever.  Those licenses now belong to the taxpayers, and not greedy speculators.

Sprint currently has 2.5x2.5 in PR. If it can get the squatters licenses thrown out, they may be able to get more for a meaningful deployment.  Spectrum squatters are law breakers and should not be rewarded.  FCC build out requirements were created just to prevent these types of immoral and likely illegal activities.  I'm looking for the FCC to do the right thing and give them the big middle fingers these asswipes deserve.

Isn't Sprint protected from losing the license during rebanding? How can you deploy a network if the band is still occupied?

Isn't Sprint protected from losing the license during rebanding? How can you deploy a network if the band is still occupied?

Sprint wouldn't lose their spectrum.  Only the spectrum squatter in PR is at risk to lose their spectrum.  Sprint cannot deploy anything on 800 until rebanding is complete in PR.  So it will not be occupied when they start deploying.  Most likely by the end of 2015 it will be all clear.  May be sooner.

• Like 2

LTE service is pretty awesome down by the ferry port on Culebra, and decent 3G all over the island. Not bad for there only being 1 tower for the whole island to use. I'm also noticing hd voice here, and on the island of Puerto Rico. Band 26 will help down here immensely. One day.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Any updates regarding Spark?

Not specifically as it relates to Puerto Rico. But since it is a Samsung market, it must be at least starting by now.

Not specifically as it relates to Puerto Rico. But since it is a Samsung market, it must be at least starting by now.

Darn, Robert. You bumped a thread that basically had my post as the last one from my honeymoon. My very, very warm and tropical honeymoon. Ahh, memories.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 2

Darn, Robert. You bumped a thread that basically had my post as the last one from my honeymoon. My very, very warm and tropical honeymoon. Ahh, memories.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

It's 39 in Orlando...I just had to turn the freaking heat on because it was 68 in my house. UGH.

It's 39 in Orlando...I just had to turn the freaking heat on because it was 68 in my house. UGH.

I'd be in shorts, and the locals would report a mental patient escaping to the local police department.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 3

I keep my heater thermostat at 67°F all winter long. Which feels nice and warm to me. You'd freeze in my house. [emoji38]

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 1