Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

I have a question. Maybe it's silly but I truly don't understand how T-Mobile started last upgrading and adding their LTE and it currently have more LTE sites and much better speed and coverage and Sprint is taking so long? Their map used to be terrible as far as coverage and they have been able to improve it a lot faster than Sprint.

Also, does anyone know what is that LTE plus they just announced? They haven't fully deployed Spark and they are announcing a new LTE. We keep hearing promises of upgrading the towers and honestly, it is getting old. Thanks for the info.

I wish we had a good solid map showing the location of t-mobile Towers like we have for Sprint. I'm on T-mobile and I get speeds that are much better than what I saw with sprint even after the LTE upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint has LTE on 99% of the towers in Puerto Rico. Every single site has Network Vision equipment deployed to it. Not sure what you are talking about "taking so long." Puerto Rico was one of the first markets to be complete out of the whole country.

Spark is being re-branded as LTE Plus. It is not a new type of LTE, it is not a new network. Same thing, less confusing name.

I think this person is saying Tmobile may have a denser network than Sprint. I think they are seeing the effects of Sprint having only 5*5 band 25 which does not go as far as tmobile band 4 since tmobike likes there devices to hold on for lte for dear life. That and at least 2-4 times more capacity deployed makes a big difference. No band 41/26 is likely hurting the network there. Not much Sprint do until the spectrum hoarders give up but make more tower and add band 41 but that's the case for even places with band 25/26. NGN best be impressive.

I was referring to the slow data speed Sprint has vs T-Mobile. Their LTE shouldn't even be called LTE when their speeds are not even to par with 3G technology. All the T-Mobile ppl I know brags about how fast their speeds are and here I am trying to even open a page. We have been promised LTE Spark for over a year now. Weren't they suppose to finish building Spark sometime this year? They are not even half way there. Their speeds are plain and simple frustrating. I am a Soldier and travel a lot. Haven't seen any improvement on any place that I have been. Just my experience

Well, you didn't say that. You said why are they taking so long. And the point was, when it came to deploying LTE equipment, they didn't take that long. 

The Spark/LTE Plus deployment in PR was delayed as part of Marcelo's prioritization plan. It has slowed across the rest of the country as well.

HOWEVER. It was never promised that Spark/LTE Plus would be fully built out by this point in time. 

T-Mobile has faster speeds because they have a wider LTE channel. Sprint has a single 5x5 LTE channel in PR. Initially, that was good enough. But as data use and the customer base grew, a 5x5 simple won't cut it. That much is true. Unfortunately for PR, Sprint does not currently hold enough spectrum in the 800 range to deploy Band 26. Band 41 deployment should be underway in the next month or two. Until that happens, data speeds will continue to suffer. Next year, Sprint will also densify the network, and add somewhat to coverage. How much this will affect PR I do not know.

• Like 2

T-Mobile has 15x15 b4 deployed now. With the recent spectrum swap with AT&T it may bump up to 20x20. No lowband until 600 auction. Sprint has only 5x5 b25 and b41 soon should help. There's an 800 b26 auction next month which would really help with coverage. ( Sprint better not blow it)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So sprint is deploying frequency they controlled in Puerto Rico but were not using?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Its Band 41, they just recently started deploying the equipment in PR necessary to use a massive amount of 2.5 spectrum.

Finally.. This is excellent. I'm kind of in love with t-mobile at this point but it's nice to see sprint become competitive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And I'm sure that T-Mobile is in love with your money so it sounds like a match made in heaven. :lol:

• Like 1