Samsung Galaxy Note 2

pyroscott

I should have my updated ROM ready to go this weekend (fingers crossed)... a new 4G site 10 minutes away is pushing my Sensorly addiction though.

I think I'm going to finally root and install your ROM after your next update.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

Congrats..   the Note 2 is an awesome device that can't be beat! (until the note 3 or moto-x come out  ;) )  Enjoy your endless customizations and tweaking!!...    Of course you could always go the "commercial route" and switch to "easy mode" (just doublechecked mine to see if that is still a thing) but, meh

I would say try not to lose sleep and worry about it tomorrow but I know the feeling when playing with new toys... just can't put them down! (of course i'm one to talk.... looking over flight options for my july ny trip.  did you know tickets can be anywhere from 1-4k? oddly the flights that are longer due to multiple layovers/connections are more expensive. wtf :wall: )

I don't do easy very well. :P

Still trying to do some tweaking to get more battery life. I'm still on the first full charge, but it's draining faster than I'd hoped. I've turned off sync and gps, and I have the screen set to auto. Any other tips you might have would certainly be welcomed. In the meantime, I think I'll browse through this thread a bit. ;)

...and yes, airline tix seem to be fluctuating like crazy right now. My wife's little brother was trying to get a flight from North Dakota a couple of days ago, and they quoted him $1600. We started looking around some more and found one for around $800. Still pretty crazy considering that I had just sent one of our employees to Indiana for around $500 a month ago.

• Like 1

I always carry a spare battery in the off chance I kill mine.  It seems to only be good for about 6.5 hours of screen on time, which is very heavy usage (according to people who are not me  :ninja: )  compared to other devices though, this battery is nothing short of amazing.  I also have a gorilla gadgets battery backup case in the off chance I run both batteries into the ground.  I suppose I will be putting that to the test on my upcoming trip.

• Like 1

I always carry a spare battery in the off chance I kill mine.  It seems to only be good for about 6.5 hours of screen on time, which is very heavy usage (according to people who are not me  :ninja: )  compared to other devices though, this battery is nothing short of amazing.  I also have a gorilla gadgets battery backup case in the off chance I run both batteries into the ground.  I suppose I will be putting that to the test on my upcoming trip.

Well I just had to put it back on charge about an hour ago. It lasted a little over 18 hrs, but at least 6 of those were while I was sleeping...so around 12 hrs of usage? lol

I'm sure there are still some things that I can do to tweak it more. I'll figure it out as I become more familiar with it.

I also found one of these...;) http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Battery-Charger-3100mAh-Included/dp/B009M5J9HY

Wow... you must be heavy on the phone.  With moderate usage I can snag almost 2 days.  Of course this all depends on what you have going, background data processes, signal, etc.

LOL...that's just the thing. I really haven't used it constantly. Hence the concern with how fast the battery has drained, because when I started researching the phone, I saw reviews where the guys were stating that they absolutely pounded it to death all day and still had almost 20% remaining.

Once I noticed that it was running down at the rate that it is, I started shutting things off on it to see if that helped. As far as signal...most of it has been on wifi.

I'm wondering if I just got a bad battery, or if the girl at Best Buy put in a used one (speculation of course), because it did have close to 50% charge on it when she was through setting it up. 

LOL...that's just the thing. I really haven't used it constantly. Hence the concern with how fast the battery has drained, because when I started researching the phone, I saw reviews where the guys were stating that they absolutely pounded it to death all day and still had almost 20% remaining.

Once I noticed that it was running down at the rate that it is, I started shutting things off on it to see if that helped. As far as signal...most of it has been on wifi.

I'm wondering if I just got a bad battery, or if the girl at Best Buy put in a used one (speculation of course), because it did have close to 50% charge on it when she was through setting it up. 

You might have a bad app.   Mine will last days on end in the off chance i am using some other device and hardly touch it.  There are a few apps that can help identify what services or apps are draining your battery so quickly, of course it could also be a bad battery.

I would let it cycle through a full charge once or twice.  Check your battery usage and tap on the time line and you'll see the awake and screen on "slices" at the bottom.  If you have a bunch of awake time with the screen off them something is keeping the phone up.

• Like 1

I would let it cycle through a full charge once or twice.  Check your battery usage and tap on the time line and you'll see the awake and screen on "slices" at the bottom.  If you have a bunch of awake time with the screen off them something is keeping the phone up.

I'll try that. If it contunues to run down quickly I'll just take it back and have them exchange it.

OK...

post-12519-0-21426000-1370229535_thumb.png

So this is what I got over this last full charge with virtually

no usage at all on the battery. Less than moderate would be an understatement. I've been at a funeral and gathering afterwards that's pretty much lasted the whole day if that confirms anything... 

I disabled wifi while in sleep mode..disabled any and all apps/live wallpapers, background data usage...and anything/everything that can be disabled.

Does this confirm a reason for an exchange? I'm doubting very seriously that the 4.1.2 update has caused this much of an issue with battery life (been reading about issues with latest JB update).

That is 22 hours but you say you didn't use it much.  I did a test of mine off of wifi for 10 hours not touching it and it dropped 7%..typical.  Dunno, tough call.  It will always been in the back of your head so why not exchange it, then you'll know for sure.

• Like 1

You got a lot of yellow and missing cell signal spots, that means it probably spent  juice trying to stay connected.

I would take all OTA's if you haven't and then factory reset it before wasting your time and sprint's money trying to exchange a device that really isn't defective.

That is 22 hours but you say you didn't use it much.  I did a test of mine off of wifi for 10 hours not touching it and it dropped 7%..typical.  Dunno, tough call.  It will always been in the back of your head so why not exchange it, then you'll know for sure.

LOL...exactly!

The first portion of the "drainage" listed was a very minute amount of usage last night after a full charge, and the rest was simply checking an email/text here and there...and you'll notice that at some point I disabled wifi during sleep mode, plus a brief break into roaming whilst out in the country. 

Also, it had dropped almost 30% in the 6 hours that I slept last night. It wasn't until I set it to CDMA only, and turned off wifi in sleep mode, etc. that it slowed the drainage down a bit.

I think I'll feel better if I go and get it exchanged...so this all probably just moot at best. :P 

You got a lot of yellow and missing cell signal spots, that means it probably spent  juice trying to stay connected.

I would take all OTA's if you haven't and then factory reset it before wasting your time and sprint's money trying to exchange a device that really isn't defective.

I have noticed a weaker 1x signal in comparison to my OG Evo, and we all know that the Note 2's radio is miles apart in that category. Plus...as much as I've investigated any issues involved with battery issues and 4.1.2 update issues, it has to be a defect of sorts. Whether it's with the battery, or the device itself. I'd feel more comfortable with exchanging it and knowing for sure with being able to see/compare the performance of the new device (btw..this one is only 2 days old) than continuing to struggle with trying to tweak this thing until I eventually smash it against the wall. LOL

I honestly think that it's a defective device...just sayin.

I have no clue what I did to my GN2, but it no longer connects to LTE.  I'm a CM10.1 user and after a nightly flash last Friday morning, my phone turned to junk.  I wiped everything and reinstalled CM10.1, but still just spotty 3G and 1X stuck on CDMA.  I'm going to try and find time to get back to a Stock TouchWiz rom today and see if I can get it working again.

Edit in: Found many others were in the same boat with me do to a RIL level change in a nightly.  I went back to stock today and was able to get back on LTE.  I'm going to toss digi's SMR PRL back on then go back to CM this afternoon.

I have noticed a weaker 1x signal in comparison to my OG Evo, and we all know that the Note 2's radio is miles apart in that category. Plus...as much as I've investigated any issues involved with battery issues and 4.1.2 update issues, it has to be a defect of sorts. Whether it's with the battery, or the device itself. I'd feel more comfortable with exchanging it and knowing for sure with being able to see/compare the performance of the new device (btw..this one is only 2 days old) than continuing to struggle with trying to tweak this thing until I eventually smash it against the wall. LOL

I honestly think that it's a defective device...just sayin.

This isn't a good example of light usage as I was pretty heavy on my phone as you can see.  LTE serving cell ID hunting on the way in to work, downloaded a 100 meg pod cast on LTE before LTE speeds dive to nothing, streaming on Google Music most of the day, Sensorly usage for 20 minutes or so, but then there is a spot where I didn't mess with my phone much where you can see the graph do a flatline with no awakes.  My battery does drain more since a closer LTE site fired up near but it is still 2 miles away and in the afternoon the speeds are in the dump so I am sure there are lots of retries with the baseband kicking at high power.

NOTEBATT1.png

This isn't a good example of light usage as I was pretty heavy on my phone as you can see.  LTE serving cell ID hunting on the way in to work, downloaded a 100 meg pod cast on LTE before LTE speeds dive to nothing, streaming on Google Music most of the day, Sensorly usage for 20 minutes or so, but then there is a spot where I didn't mess with my phone much where you can see the graph do a flatline with no awakes.  My battery does drain more since a closer LTE site fired up near but it is still 2 miles away and in the afternoon the speeds are in the dump so I am sure there are lots of retries with the baseband kicking at high power.

NOTEBATT1.png

Umm, yeah. That's a pretty hefty drain. :P But see how yours flatlines when it's idle? Mine is steadily draining in sleep mode...even with disabling apps, GPS, etc.

Another question. Do you have the 4.1.2 update? Or would that even matter since you're rooted?

I'm on the latest MC2 build of my ROM.  Just a lean clean ROM.

I'm wondering if I should root it just because before I go and exchange it. But! I've never rooted before. Any words of wisdom before I do?

N

I'm wondering if I should root it just because before I go and exchange it. But! I've never rooted before. Any words of wisdom before I do?

Pretty easy.  Follow QBKing's excellent video:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1969947

Of course the versions have changed, but grab the latest Note2 toolkit and it's so easy.  The video walks you right on through.  Pick the MA7 build in the Note2 toolkit, it works fine on MC2.  Then after that flash you a MC2 ROM with TWRP.

To return to factory, 100% stock, with write counter set back to 0, if you do decide to do a repair/exchange then here it is:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before, but I haven't found it. I apologize for my laziness.

The Note II is my third Android phone. The first two, a G1 and an OG EVO, both got rooted by this point. But I'm really happy with my unrooted Note II. I would like to know what I could do better by rooting? And what capabilities would I lose?

Thanks!

The most usable benefit of rooting note 2, is using multiview with any/all apps.

I think we have a winner!

Thanks!