Maybe I am overly tired but I have no idea what happened here in the last 7 posts.

Although I do know the movie quotes.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Robert is gunna delete me, its just a matter of time.

dont mind me, i am the village idiot.

I am not gonna lie, was funny as hell!!!!!!!

Pebpac

Daniel...I would never delete you. But ban you, that's a whole 'nother story. ;)

You are like the annoying little brother I never wanted. You almost feel like family.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Sprint and their OEM's need to adjust LTE thresholds. They are too high. Once you get to a midrange or weak signal, it will move over to EVDO if it is stronger. However, this is faulty logic. Even a weak LTE signal is better than most EVDO signals. I hope that Sprint has them lower the LTE threshold so LTE devices can keep a connection to weak signals, instead of being shunted to EVDO. In a WiMax device, this was easy to modify. But we have not been able to find a way on a LTE device yet to adjust the threshold. It most likely will need to happen via OTA.

Robert

Do you think its to keep their quoted 6-8Mb/s data rate? I was thinking while reading several posts that you had said that the rates drop off proportional with distance for LTE, then others saying it would not connect with weak signal... so if sprint thought people would see LTE speeds under 6Mb/s and assume that it was a network issue and not an issue with signal strength, and say that sprint's new network is just like WiMax... They don't want to deal with that kind of bad publicity. The spotty coverage is something more expected from a less than half completed roll-out, but if people were only seeing 2Mb/s, most would assume the worst and jump ship.

I am not saying that the thresholds are at a good level, but it would stand to reason that this could be affecting their reasoning to set a high threshold in the first place.

Robert is gunna delete me, its just a matter of time.

And I just can't believe you went through the trouble of adding an acronym to the urban dictionary... and I've been reading these forums for months and have never seen anyone use it! lol

And I just can't believe you went through the trouble of adding an acronym to the urban dictionary... and I've been reading these forums for months and have never seen anyone use it! lol

I submitted it for review, crossing fingers

Do you think its to keep their quoted 6-8Mb/s data rate? I was thinking while reading several posts that you had said that the rates drop off proportional with distance for LTE' date=' then others saying it would not connect with weak signal... so if sprint thought people would see LTE speeds under 6Mb/s and assume that it was a network issue and not an issue with signal strength, and say that sprint's new network is just like WiMax... They don't want to deal with that kind of bad publicity. The spotty coverage is something more expected from a less than half completed roll-out, but if people were only seeing 2Mb/s, most would assume the worst and jump ship.

I am not saying that the thresholds are at a good level, but it would stand to reason that this could be affecting their reasoning to set a high threshold in the first place.[/quote']

Its possible, and I had not considered that. And that would do it. But if so, its not a good move, IMO. They need to adjust it down some more. Especially if they are going to claim the coverage areas that they are.

I'll take one for the team in the name of judgeship (if that's even a word)

Do you think its to keep their quoted 6-8Mb/s data rate? I was thinking while reading several posts that you had said that the rates drop off proportional with distance for LTE, then others saying it would not connect with weak signal... so if sprint thought people would see LTE speeds under 6Mb/s and assume that it was a network issue and not an issue with signal strength, and say that sprint's new network is just like WiMax... They don't want to deal with that kind of bad publicity. The spotty coverage is something more expected from a less than half completed roll-out, but if people were only seeing 2Mb/s, most would assume the worst and jump ship.

I am not saying that the thresholds are at a good level, but it would stand to reason that this could be affecting their reasoning to set a high threshold in the first place.

Its possible, and I had not considered that. And that would do it. But if so, its not a good move, IMO. They need to adjust it down some more. Especially if they are going to claim the coverage areas that they are.

If this threshold was set deliberately by Sprint marketers rather than engineers, they deserve to eat their own dogfood because this rollout has generated some bad PR.

If this threshold was set deliberately by Sprint marketers rather than engineers, they deserve to eat their own dogfood because this rollout has generated some bad PR.

But would having only 2-3Mb/s be any better PR? Seriously, the EVDO network can pull over 2Mb/s when it is connected to the new 4G core with EHRPD (That might be the wrong acronym) and people would post on ever site from here to sprint and complain that their new supposed 4G LTE was just another 3G technology and that sprint cannot build a network...

I agree with robert that those thresholds need adjusted, because people will be happier with 3-4Mb/s consistantly and every day getting better... rather than if you don't get 8+, go back to 3G EVDO at <1Mb/s ...

Is it okay to bring this thread back on topic?

12+-+1.png

The latest speed tests as of 20 minutes ago, using the leaked galaxy nexus radio images from XDA (also on 4.1 Jelly Bean if that matters), speed test done here:

https://maps.google....4757,-95.382341

Did it indoors, right next to one of the only 4G towers around the heights/washington ave area.

The tests at the bottom are from my work... where we use sprint repeaters and have terrible 3G always.

I should note, more importantly is that my phone switched to 4G while in my pocket, I didn't have to do anything to get LTE. I was able to download a 150meg file in less than 30 seconds.

• Like 4

I'm jealous.....I can't even get an LTE connection yet....wonder if its this phone....

Thanks for your definition of pebpac!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to not publish it.

To get a better idea of what editors publish and reject, sign up as an Urban Dictionary Editor here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/editor/staygo.php

Urban Dictionary

-----

pebpac

S4GRU acronym: Problem Exists Between Phone And Chair. A useful term for demeaning the average LTE buying forum lurker who's more than willing to show he's bought an LTE phone and is not afraid to tell everyone exactly what's on his mind when he lives just outside the range of a completed tower. 40% be damned... he's the 1% who demands 100%. Here's to you .. ,mr. bought an lte in an evdo market man.. you showed them all.

phone salesman: ill sell you this lte phone, but it may not work in your area just yet

big_redneck: ill take my chances and complain on s4gru if any trouble

s4gru user: It's a PEBPAC issue.

I'm jealous.....I can't even get an LTE connection yet....wonder if its this phone....

I think there is an issue with the new EVO. the last couple speed tests i did were showing terrible speeds when I finally would get connected to LTE. My brother in-law was standing right be side me and was getting 12 - 15 mb down with his evo. I rebooted my phone and did another speed test and got the same speeds he was getting. No idea what was causing the issue.

My phone also seems to struggle to stay connected to LTE even with a strong LTE signal.

I think there is an issue with the new EVO. the last couple speed tests i did were showing terrible speeds when I finally would get connected to LTE. My brother in-law was standing right be side me and was getting 12 - 15 mb down with his evo. I rebooted my phone and did another speed test and got the same speeds he was getting. No idea what was causing the issue.

My phone also seems to struggle to stay connected to LTE even with a strong LTE signal.

It was reported right here on s4gru that there may be lte connectivity issues with the evo lte, so this problem should be well documented internally at sprint. Now I know lte has been officially live for 6 days but I don't see why sprint didn't have an update ready to fix these issues for the launch of their lte network, especially since they knew of the issue since april during testing. I am not gonna lie, if this issue doesn't get resolved relatively soon then I am not going to be pleased. Now I understand them releasing the phone since there wasn't an lte network available but they could have had a fix by now. I have zero issues with lte on my gnex but on my evo its a different story.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-168-s4gru-reconfirms-june-10th-launch-of-the-evo-4g-lte/

I can confirm that the sprint tower at the corner of Richey Rd and I-45s (North side of Houston) now has LTE active as of this morning.

I rebooted my Evo Lte as I was getting ready to leave for work and it connected to 4g. I was getting 3 bars of 4g and the speed tests were 4.5mb -11.5mb down and 2.5 - 5 up. Sorry that I don't have the speed test screenshots or netmonitor info, but I had to do a factory reset of my phone about an hour ago...

Everyone please update their Sprint "Profile" under settings->about phone which will help with faster speeds. Please watch this video and listen around the 1:00 mark.

• Like 3

Hello everyone, New here or at least posting for the first time. I've been watching the forum and Sprints progress for awhile like everyone here so I just wanted to post some of my results and experience with regard to LTE.

I'm in southwest Houston and haven't been able to get a LTE connection at my home even though sprint says I should be via there coverage map and direct conversations with 6 different sprint representatives. Weird thing is if I leave my home and go about half mile up to the main hwy near my home I get a spotty 4g connection so I have done a few test oddly enough there is a sprint sales location in the area where I get a 4g signal and if I drive like 2 building over the connection drops to 3g. Does that have anything to do with it....hmm no idea but I will try to drive around a bit today near other sprint stores and see(gonna be bringing in another phone in for service) btw I'm get a signal at hwy.6 and Bissonett at the Stanbridge plaza Hello everyone, New here or at least posting for the first time. I've been watching the forum and Sprints progress for awhile like everyone here so I just wanted to post some of my results and experience with regard to LTE.

On the day before the official launch I saw speeds of 13megs down and 7 up. Today the highest I've seen so far has been like 8megs down and 3megs up. I will try and post some screen shots as soon as I figure out how to LOL yea yea noob.

Back again everyone, I'm here at a sprint service store getting another phone serviced so I decided to play with the 3 EVO Lte's, 2 GSIII's and the one Nexus they have set up. And what a discovery...the 2 samsung are bouncing back and fort from 4g to 3g. The nexus on the other hand is staying consistently on 4g with downloads at 6mbps and uploads at 2mbps. And like I knew I would find neither of the 3 Evo's will connect at all no bouncing back and fort like the Samsung's just constant 3g. Sprint reps say that LTE is only 20% complete and only in the downtown area. LOL, 3 blocks from this location(Westheimer and hwy 6) I can get a 4g signal on my EVO Lte. The reps here saying that when Lte was first launched all the LTE phones would connect and then the next day only the Nexus stayed connected. Hmmmm....anyone can figure this out? I'll try to post photo shots I took will at sprint store.

Back again everyone, I'm here at a sprint service store getting another phone serviced so I decided to play with the 3 EVO Lte's, 2 GSIII's and the one Nexus they have set up. And what a discovery...the 2 samsung are bouncing back and fort from 4g to 3g. The nexus on the other hand is staying consistently on 4g with downloads at 6mbps and uploads at 2mbps. And like I knew I would find neither of the 3 Evo's will connect at all no bouncing back and fort like the Samsung's just constant 3g. Sprint reps say that LTE is only 20% complete and only in the downtown area. LOL, 3 blocks from this location(Westheimer and hwy 6) I can get a 4g signal on my EVO Lte. The reps here saying that when Lte was first launched all the LTE phones would connect and then the next day only the Nexus stayed connected. Hmmmm....anyone can figure this out? I'll try to post photo shots I took will at sprint store.

Interesting. Robert's hypothesis (explained here) is that the threshold settings on the handsets are affecting how they downshift from LTE as a function of signal strength, and not benignly. If that hypothesis is valid, then different OEMs' handsets may very well calculate the threshold and downshift differently.

Hello everyone, screen shot of the speeds I'm seeing at hwy.6 and Bissonett at the sprint sales store. Amazing that at the sprint service center at westheimer and hwy6 I don't get a 4g connection and these locations are not far from each other at all.

post-2942-0-38838900-1343148813_thumb.png

Edited by Acey