Today I noticed that speeds picked back up in the Humble/Kingwood area again. I was able to get 12 mbps down & up. This also happened while only getting one or two bars on my phone. It would appear that what ever was causing the decreased speed issues has been taken care of now.

Screenshot_2012-08-06-07-07-40.png

Also while on the way home tonight I picked up a new LTE signal that I hadn't picked up before. This one was also picked up with a weak signal.

Screenshot_2012-08-06-18-58-14.png

This connection was around 5 mbps down and up.

Today I noticed that speeds picked back up in the Humble/Kingwood area again. I was able to get 12 mbps down & up. This also happened while only getting one or two bars on my phone.

Keep in mind that the signal bars likely represent only CDMA1X signal strength; they have no bearing on LTE signal strength. That said, LTE signal strength is unlikely to be greater than that of CDMA1X. So, wherever it is weak, LTE, too, is almost assuredly weak.

AJ

Is there something going on with eHRPD in Houston? The last 2 days places where I normally see eHRPD are now either EVDO or 1rxtt.

I agree..I am actually no seing eHRPD at all...Speeds were once moving up to 400kbps but now they are about half of that. Really sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice.

The best I've seen was 24MB down/8.7MB up, going across the causeway in Galveston,. But I haven't repeated anything close to that since. That time I carried 4G all the way into Hitchcock and lost it it maybe halfway through.

Sitting in my office in the medical center, next to a large window, I've lost connection several times and got 1.3MB down and 809K up. And that's with full bars.

Still better than at my house though, since I roam there!

when 4g is displaying, i believe the signal indicator is still for 1x signal strength. For example, you can force roaming, be on verizon/cricket 1x, but be receiving sprint 4g lte.

Yeah I was thinking that too. I miss how on WiMax the 4G icon had its own signal strength indicator, like the WiFi indicator. They really should bring it back in some form so people can see how strong or weak their LTE signal really is.

Yeah I was thinking that too. I miss how on WiMax the 4G icon had its own signal strength indicator, like the WiFi indicator. They really should bring it back in some form so people can see how strong or weak their LTE signal really is.

Im sure some enterprising dev would do it. It actually sounds quite easy to create a widget that reads the lte signal within the phone and displays it, but unfortunately i can't code yet :(

I remember the phones that would show separate 1x and evdo speeds too.

I do agree the separate signals would be neat but it would just confuse the average consumer that barely knows how to turn the phone on. They have to dumb it down for everyone... Once you do that though you get sued by Apple for copying them.

Once a market is complete you really won't need it to an extent unless of course you are on 800smr.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I remember the phones that would show separate 1x and evdo speeds too.

I do agree the separate signals would be neat but it would just confuse the average consumer that barely knows how to turn the phone on. They have to dumb it down for everyone... Once you do that though you get sued by Apple for copying them.

Once a market is complete you really won't need it to an extent unless of course you are on 800smr.

Real signal (android app) would show independent 1x and EVDO signal strengths, perhaps it has been updated for LTE as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Real signal (android app) would show independent 1x and EVDO signal strengths, perhaps it has been updated for LTE as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I looked at Real Signal. Found the permissions list way too risky, an open invitation to allow the app to harvest personal data fulltime and upload it anywhere if the developer chooses. If they made a similar paid app without full Internet access that would be an attractive utility.

BTW, it would be tricky for any developer to write an app that reports LTE diagnostics across devices, because the Android does not have a decently standardized telephony API for LTE like it does for GSM and CDMA. Developers have to poke around the nonstandard, hidden APIs that OEM manufacturers have created to find the LTE data..

This app works well.. I have blocked all kinds of things from apps. It broke some apps but oh well I just un installed the whole app. I missed being able to do this on the fly in CM7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.permissions

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my iPhone 5 LTE this past weekend. I will be posting screens of the LTE speeds around Houston. Please add your screens and we'll continue to update as Sprint rolls out entire Houston area coverage.

Date: 9/23/12

Speed: 17.24 down, 7.58 up

highland-village.jpg

Speed: 21.81 down, 9.55 up

i10-blalock.jpg

Speed: 5.04 down, 2.93 up

i10-beltway8.jpg

Date: 9/24/12

Speed: 3.80 down, 0.28 up

west-chimney.jpg

Date: 9/24/12

Speed: 1.96 down, 1.38 up

beltway8-richmond.jpg

Edited by minivan81

Where did you get your phone, and do they have any more

Pre-ordered through Sprint. Apple stores around town will randomly have stock each day (usually have more Sprint phones cause its not as popular), so you can check each morning. Good luck trying to get them from Sprint stores, as they only get shipments every other week or so.

• Like 1

Where you are getting slower speeds, it is because you have a weak LTE signal. LTE performance is very signal strength dependent.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Just a suggestion: Creating this thread in the public Network forum will cripple it, because that will omit comments by Sponsors who have knowledge of where the towers are and wish to discuss empirical speed tests in that context. That discussion of tower-related detail belongs in the Sponsor forums. Become a Sponsor and see.