Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

it weird how they said lake county first and then the rest of the area thats complete by friday because 4g seemed to stop right at deerfield rd just south of the county line. I wish they would just turn them all on. Unless they ahve to go out again to each site i dont know why they wouldnt just turn them all on.

I live off McAree and sunset so I get LTE in my bedroom 5Mbps-12Mbps and also get it once in a while in the living room around 2.5-3Mbps. When I use netmonitor it says im connected to the Robert Mcclory bike path tower in beach park. Have no clue if its accurate or not though.

Sent From EVO LTE

Also I connected to LTE right by the mall on grand right next to the shell gas station but soon as you actually drive by the mall it disappears :/ oh and there is brief LTE on greenbay and yorkhousen. soon as you past the 711 or w.e gas station that is you will get lte.

Sent From EVO LTE

Over lunch, I headed over to Quiznos near Grand and Green Bay hoping to get signal, but I got nothing the entire time. After firing up Sensorly and NetMonitor, I drove down to Washington and McAree and parked in the lot of the building on the northwest corner. Cycling between CDMA only and LTE/CDMA did nothing; it took a full reboot of the phone before I saw 4G. >:-/

Once I did that, I held on to the LTE signal until just past Skokie Highway as I headed west on Washington (if you go to Sensorly’s website, you’ll see the line that I created). With signal strengths of -79 (RSRP) and -7 (RSRQ), I was pulling down about 20Mbps.

Here is what my “LTE available file” is now showing:

0. SID:4384 NID:121 BSID:22706 (Gurnee – Depot/Skokie Highway)

1. SID:4384 NID:121 BSID:22435 (Park City – Belvidere/Skokie Highway)

2. SID:4384 NID:121 BSID:22547 (Waukegan – Washington/McAree)

3. SID:4384 NID:121 BSID:22593 (Gurnee – Washington/Tri-State Parkway)

4. SID:4384 NID:2 BSID:5474 (Matteson - Lincoln/Cicero)

5. SID:4384 NID:2 BSID:5474 (Matteson - Lincoln/Cicero)

6. SID:4384 NID:2 BSID:6786

7. SID:4384 NID:2 BSID:6786

I’m currently connected to 22593, but not getting any LTE signal (even after rebooting again).

i had to go into airplane mode to get it to connect the first time but after that it worked prefect. IF you want to see where i was ( the tower i could give you only guarantee 1x) go to sensorly.com and see their map. it was updated wiht my data. it went as far south as deerfield rd and up to lincolnshire where cubby bear north is. i has average of 15/mbps down and 12/mbps up with peaks over 30/mbps down. i would upload the pics but forum runner doesnt seem to ever work for me.

Just as I was about to post this, the thread refreshed and I saw your post. I thought it was funny how we kind of did the same thing at the same time with Sensorly. Your data runs from Aptakisic down to Dundee? I’m guessing that’s all from the tower at Lake Cook and Milwaukee.

• Like 1

You’ll be able to maintain your occupational anonymity as long as you don’t say, “Takeda Parkway and Lake Cook Road.”

You could just say that it’s the tower between Saunders and Portwine just off of Lake Cook. That narrows it down to about 5 large companies within a 1-mile radius with roughly 20,000 employees total. I think you’ll be ok, Bruce Wayne. ;)

Not sure I appreciate the perceived snideness of this post, but I take your point. I don't know what tower I'm on.

Just as I was about to post this, the thread refreshed and I saw your post. I thought it was funny how we kind of did the same thing at the same time with Sensorly. Your data runs from Aptakisic down to Dundee? I’m guessing that’s all from the tower at Lake Cook and Milwaukee.

I think i was on that first and then i was at the tower directly behind Cubby Bear. Its in their parking lot adn i was waiting for a pickup so i went underneath the tower and had -69dBm in LTE engineering. if you look at my path going north along the river path it has a small gap where it went 3g but i didnt notice because it was a flawless transition until i looked at it for a second and saw the 3g icon. It picked up the LTE again no problem and that when i got my highest speed of 30/mps down

• Like 1

This was the 1x site you were connected to. Even though NetMonitor will say "Network: LTE" when you have a LTE connection, it will only show the BSID, signal strength and map location for the 1x site you are connected to. These will often be different, especially in urban/suburban locations.

Robert

how could I find out which tower im connected to?

Sent From EVO LTE

Sent From EVO LTE

It's not easy to determine what EVDO site you are connected to. If you go to the Debug menu (enter ##DEBUG# in your phone dialer), you will see an EVDO Engineering screen. In that, it will tell you the BSID of the EVDO site you are connected to. And then with trial and error plotting the BSID's, watching the signal strength (only in EVDO Engineering) and using our Sprint site maps for reference, you can probably start narrowing it down and figuring out which site you are connected to.

Apps on the market, and the signal strength indicator on your top bar, only show 1x signal strength and 1x locations. They do not show which EVDO or LTE site locations or signal strength.

Robert

I think i was on that first and then i was at the tower directly behind Cubby Bear. Its in their parking lot adn i was waiting for a pickup so i went underneath the tower and had -69dBm in LTE engineering. if you look at my path going north along the river path it has a small gap where it went 3g but i didnt notice because it was a flawless transition until i looked at it for a second and saw the 3g icon. It picked up the LTE again no problem and that when i got my highest speed of 30/mps down

Glad to hear that the handoff is seamless! I might be in that area later tonight, so I’ll check it out and report back my findings too, if any. Thanks!

Not sure I appreciate the perceived snideness of this post, but I take your point. I don't know what tower I'm on.

I apologize for my perceived tone. I was attempting to humorously make light of the fact that the people on this forum want a level of information with greater detail than you were willing to provide. Saying that you’ve found signal on the west side of a highway along a road that is miles long is an extremely broad statement, given the nature of this thread. However, it’s better than nothing, so thank you for corroborating the claims made by other people.

If you download NetMonitor, it should give you the tower that you’re connected to, however, it might not be the tower that’s transmitting LTE. It might not be the right way of going about it, but I look at the BSID on NetMonitor, then compare that to the “LTE available file” in the ##DATA# menu.

Sent From EVO LTE

See above. To get to the menu, go to your dial pad and type in ##3282#, then select View Mode->LTE record->LTE available file. Record the BSIDs and compare them to nearby towers that show up in NetMonitor.

I think that you can find your LTE signal strength by going to Settings->About->Network. You’ll see values for RSRQ and RSRP when you’re connected to LTE.

EDIT: Crap, Robert beat me to it.

Edited by CriticalityEvent

-69dBm RSRP is an extremely strong signal. That's a -44dBm RSSI equivalent signal. You would have been really close to that site, with LOS to the panel to get a signal like that.

Robert

-69dBm RSRP is an extremely strong signal. That's a -44dBm RSSI equivalent signal. You would have been really close to that site, with LOS to the panel to get a signal like that.

Robert

i was literally underneath the tower.

If you look at the represented coverage i added to sensorly in this area i am almost positive i connected to CH03XC401 as i traveled north along the bike path (its visible on google maps). Then as i traveled north i briefly lost my LTE and it shows on sensorly.

It then seems to have grabbed LTE at tower CH03XC351 which is at the end of that part of the bike path in the parking lot behind Cubby Bear North. I was waiting for a ride because my tire popped and i camped out 15 yards from the base of the pole. That is where i picked up my fastest test result of 42ms 30.71mbps down and 12.68mbps up. also the great signal reading.

As i said before the transition from LTE to 3g back to LTE was seemless with multiple apps using network during this time including pandora.

• Like 3

I had been getting the lte signal in the Joliet area, but as of late nothing. Evdo only. You lake county folk enjoy it, I was.

It will likely be back before the 21st.

Robert

• Like 1

It will likely be back before the 21st.

Robert

That will be great. Hoping to get better coverage soon after. Was only getting lte on the second floor of my house and speeds were never as good as others here have posed about.

That will be great. Hoping to get better coverage soon after. Was only getting lte on the second floor of my house and speeds were never as good as others here have posed about.

LTE Performance is very signal strength dependent. You likely have a very weak signal from a distant site if you are getting slow speeds and can only get it in one part of your house.

People often think they have a good LTE signal strength because their phone shows 4G in the signal strength indicator with lots of "bars". However, the bars in the signal strength indicator in Sprint LTE devices always show the 1x voice signal strength, and not the LTE. Even when it shows the 4G icon. The only way to determine your LTE signal strength is in the Debug menu, under LTE Engineering.

Robert

Did not know about the debug menu until after the lte went away. Through the about menu under settings it was saying -105 rsrp and -8rsrq. If, nay, when it comes back, I'll try the debug menu. Thanks as usual for the hard work.....

Did not know about the debug menu until after the lte went away. Through the about menu under settings it was saying -105 rsrp and -8rsrq. If, nay, when it comes back, I'll try the debug menu. Thanks as usual for the hard work.....

People often think they have a good LTE signal strength because their phone shows 4G in the signal strength indicator with lots of "bars". However, the bars in the signal strength indicator in Sprint LTE devices always show the 1x voice signal strength, and not the LTE. Even when it shows the 4G icon. The only way to determine your LTE signal strength is in the Debug menu, under LTE Engineering. Robert

I can't tell you how many times a week I see you post this. I almost think that you should make it (or a link to it) part of your signature.

It's only been 3 days holy crap

5y7unuje.jpg

I'm at my uncle house get LTE every where in here. Off lewis behind bp Sent From EVO LTE

My hat goes off to your ability to communicate solely on texts! Seriously, I wish my friends would do that with me. I hope you at least give HD voice a shot when it comes out. :-P

I can't tell you how many times a week I see you post this. I almost think that you should make it (or a link to it) part of your signature.

I just made it a Pinned Topic: http://s4gru.com/ind...ignal-strength/

I'm going to just start posting the link. :tu:

Robert

My hat goes off to your ability to communicate solely on texts! Seriously, I wish my friends would do that with me. I hope you at least give HD voice a shot when it comes out. :-P

Lol I actually do talk on the phone here and there but with working two jobs I'm only able to text haha. And don't worry ill test HD voice once it comes around hehe :D

Sent From EVO LTE

Well sprint speeds are getting better even though I haven't gotten an LTE signal yet. Use to get 0.7 Mbps in my house and now getting twice that speed. The fastest was 2.1 Mbps and I stay in Chicago by Archer and Pulaski close to midway airport. Thanks again Robert, this site helped me stay longer on Sprint and I know it'll be worth it!!!

• Like 4

As we're starting to see all of these impressive speed results can some people let us know if call quality has been getting better? For people who are on the updated towers and getting LTE, have dropped calls become a thing of the past? As of mid-last week there was still clicking on the receiving end of all my wife's phone calls (not too far a distance from this Hiro's last post).

Ok, this is getting slightly annoying. The only way I can get my phone to detect a 4G signal is not by cycling between CDMA only and LTE/CDMA, nor by cycling through airplane mode, but by completely restarting. Is anyone else having this issue? I basically have to know when I’m in a 4G area.

Meanwhile, I added new data to Sensorly. If you’re on 94/294, you’ll get 4G between Lake Cook and Dundee (maybe even further south). On Lake Cook, you should get 4G from 94 to Welland. The gap between 94 and Saunders was me having to reboot to get the signal that I’m willing to bet was there.

As we're starting to see all of these impressive speed results can some people let us know if call quality has been getting better? For people who are on the updated towers and getting LTE, have dropped calls become a thing of the past? As of mid-last week there was still clicking on the receiving end of all my wife's phone calls (not too far a distance from this Hiro's last post).

The call quality seems to have improved; as of at least a few days ago, the clicking is gone, but I feel like it's been weeks since I completely dropped a call.

Ok, this is getting slightly annoying. The only way I can get my phone to detect a 4G signal is not by cycling between CDMA only and LTE/CDMA, nor by cycling through airplane mode, but by completely restarting. Is anyone else having this issue? I basically have to know when I’m in a 4G area.

Meanwhile, I added new data to Sensorly. If you’re on 94/294, you’ll get 4G between Lake Cook and Dundee (maybe even further south). On Lake Cook, you should get 4G from 94 to Welland. The gap between 94 and Saunders was me having to reboot to get the signal that I’m willing to bet was there.

The call quality seems to have improved; as of at least a few days ago, the clicking is gone, but I feel like it's been weeks since I completely dropped a call.

I posted this over in another thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/user/5119-abepilot/

One thing I would like to add is that when I was driving back south from Barrington through Palatine. The signal automatically locked onto 4G again. I pulled into a parking lot and it took about 30 seconds for the 3G to disappear and 4G to appear.

• Like 1