Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I posted this over in another thread: http://s4gru.com/ind.../5119-abepilot/

One thing I would like to add is that when I was driving back south from Barrington through Palatine. The signal automatically locked onto 4G again. I pulled into a parking lot and it took about 30 seconds for the 3G to disappear and 4G to appear.

Great, now it looks like I'm stalking your profile. haha... You mean this thread?

http://s4gru.com/ind...ble-on-sept-21/

Hmm... I have been known to be a little impatient, maybe I just need to give it some time. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

I was just out getting lunch and picked up a 4G signal. I knew I was heading away from the tower, so I was watching my RSRP signal strength in the Settings->About->Network menu (I know, not the most accurate place to look), but once RSRP hit -115dBm, that's when it switched back down to 3G. The transition didn't look smooth, though; the 4G icon disappeared and it took an appreciable length of time for the 3G icon to appear.

One thing I would like to add is that when I was driving back south from Barrington through Palatine. The signal automatically locked onto 4G again. I pulled into a parking lot and it took about 30 seconds for the 3G to disappear and 4G to appear.
This has been my experience as well. I'm not doing anything to log on to LTE, the phone takes at least 30 seconds to switch over though. I was watching the LTE Engineering screen this morning while it logged on.

Sidenote: I'm on LTE the entire time I'm at work and I've seen basically no hit to battery life. It helps that I have a very strong signal. This was a major concern of mine (perhaps an invalid concern) in moving to LTE.

Edited by Hiro11
  • Like 1

Anybody in the City of Chicago experiencing any 4G LTE love?

Deployment within the City of Chicago is just beginning. All the work to date that is now coming live are in the Suburbs and Exurbs.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Does this mean that the signal will start becoming discoverable on the 21st as noted on the leaked document? Or does deployment mean something else?

It will be discoverable then, however only at sites that have been completed with LTE to date. This document is not announcing market launch. It is only saying that sites that happen to be complete will now be able to be used. The locations complete right now are pretty widespread.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

20120919102445.th.png

My local cell seems to have toned things down a bit today. Servers in both Chicago and Arlington Heights.

When you say "Servers in both Chicago and Arlington Heights" Does that mean that you are getting signals in the City of Chicago?

When you say "Servers in both Chicago and Arlington Heights" Does that mean that you are getting signals in the City of Chicago?

I think that he's referring to test servers for the Speed Test app. You can choose the server closest to you for (theoretically) better results. The closest servers to him are probably in Arlington Heights, Chicago and Vernon Hills.

Well sprint speeds are getting better even though I haven't gotten an LTE signal yet. Use to get 0.7 Mbps in my house and now getting twice that speed. The fastest was 2.1 Mbps and I stay in Chicago by Archer and Pulaski close to midway airport. Thanks again Robert, this site helped me stay longer on Sprint and I know it'll be worth it!!!

Im right near you at Archer and Harlem and the 3G speeds are looking good. Im averaging about 1.6 down and 300 upload. Can't wait for LTE here in chi town!

post-219-0-03252900-1348084106_thumb.png

I live out in Yorkville,(zip 60560) far west suburb. Service has been horrible, dropped calls, very slow data, but this last week things have improved. At night when the network is not congested i hit 2mbs. But during the day i get a bout 200kbps. So i dont think the back haul has been upgraded or if it even is. There is only 2 towers that i know of out here. Does anyone know if they are bringing LTE out here? (verizion has) and If they are upgrading the towers. Im thinking of switching carriers if they are not doing so. But i will stay if they plan on expanding rural areas out here and get an lte phone.

I live out in Yorkville,(zip 60560) far west suburb. Service has been horrible, dropped calls, very slow data, but this last week things have improved. At night when the network is not congested i hit 2mbs. But during the day i get a bout 200kbps. So i dont think the back haul has been upgraded or if it even is. There is only 2 towers that i know of out here. Does anyone know if they are bringing LTE out here? (verizion has) and If they are upgrading the towers. Im thinking of switching carriers if they are not doing so. But i will stay if they plan on expanding rural areas out here and get an lte phone.

Sprint is bringing LTE over its entire footprint, including Yorkville. We have Sprint site maps that show every single Sprint site in the country over in our Sponsor section. This thread provides more info about becoming a Sponsor http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert

I have two points to make. First I went to the Sprint Store in the Loop on Lasalle and Clark to get some service done on my phone. While waiting I was messing around with their demo LTE phones; Galaxy S3, Photon Q, EVO LTE. I ran speed tests on all of them, they were connected to 3G and got between 40-80K on all devices. I even said something to the Sprint tech rep I spoke with and he was like yea, thats what the iPhone 4 (a 3G only device) has done to our 3G network right there. Yeah its that bad, and this was at like 11am too.

Second, I went to cubs game at Wrigley last night, the stadium was empty maybe 15K people there tops. Anyway, I had my phone in 3G mode cuz my batter was low and damn WiMax sucks battery life. Point being I couldnt do anything in 3G mode, couldnt make calls, access the web, no data connection for apps (they all timed out). Could this be an indication that NV has finally hit Chicago neighborhood towers such as in Wrigleyville? Anyone else notice something similar.

P.S. If I went back to 4G WiMax the phone worked fine, points to NV on the 3G Sprint towers IMO.

I got this last week In Joliet but for the last 2 days I've only been getting ehrpd every once in awhile 4g would pop on but soon as I try to use it it disconnects

I'm in the same boat, Joliet area had the lte then lost it, getting only the ehrpd. I tasted the lte last night but unusable also.

I was getting only evdo in Lombard ever since the lte went away after testing was done. I'm happy to report that the entire trip between Chicago and Elburn on the Metra train was ehrpd. Speeds weren't always good,but better than they have been in certain areas. I can't wait for lte to come live!!

Im right near you at Archer and Harlem and the 3G speeds are looking good. I'm averaging about 1.6 down and 300 upload. Can't wait for LTE here in chi town!

Same here. Usually visit Orland Park, where LTE has been completed at one site but haven't gotten a signal yet. I usually visit my sister early on Saturdays but haven't gotten lucky I guess our time is almost here lol

If you don't mind me asking' date=' what part of the east side of st chas were you by?[/quote']

On Route 64. Between all the car dealerships and Pheasant Run. I was not able to get it automatically had to toggle airplane mode in order for LTE to come up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner