Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

And from what Tarek Robbiati has said, it won't help them much then either.

Of course, it's also possible that Tarek's statements could all be a ruse while SoftBank plans to bid after all....

Only if they densify the network enough.. they have to use all of the higher spectrum , but once again small cells are not a replacement for tower sites which they also need more of those.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I don't think it's the fact that they were called ghetto it's the setting in general. It's that a bunch of (what seem to be) middle class White people basically said that ghetto people use T-Mobile. It's like a bunch of rich people laughing at the poor. Condescension is common in attack ads but insulting the customers of another company because of their economic status is not very good marketing in my opinion. If anything this ad could've just insulted a large number of potential customers. It's good that it's down now.

I think you're reading too much into the ad. I honestly don't know why you would bring up 'white people'. You're looking for something that simply isn't there. Socioeconomically insensitive? You could make an argument. But a race issue? Nope.

I will say that while I didn't find anything wrong with the ad, I do find it highly ineffective as an attack ad. Give me results, not perceptions!

• Like 1

Yet we never ask the question "What did T-Mobile do to engender this kind of loyalty?" Obviously T-Mobile did a lot of things right to bring forth this sort of loyalty. Yet that question never gets asked.

I feel like Sprint would be hurting even if their network was equivalent to T-Mobile. Why? Marketing and customer service. T-Mobile always did customer service well, now they have an out of the box marketing push and fast network to back it up. Then add Uncarrier out of that.

The fact SoftBank hasn't done enough to change these things on Sprint's end is my biggest source of frustration. Lots more changes have to occur, and it can't just be on the network end.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Like a lot of things in life some are lucky and others are not. T-Mobile has had lady luck on their side from the very beginning of there LTE deployment. Sprint not picking up Metro pcs, T-Mobile getting massive free cash from ATT to fund a ton of there stuff. Put that together with perfect gen-x marketing and a decent deployment (I won't give them all the credit because of the fact that fiber was already there and made their job exponentially easier) add to that a huge number of Sprint defectors due to NV.

It's easy to see why T-Mobile has been riding so high.

• Like 1

Yet we never ask the question "What did T-Mobile do to engender this kind of loyalty?" Obviously T-Mobile did a lot of things right to bring forth this sort of loyalty. Yet that question never gets asked.

I feel like Sprint would be hurting even if their network was equivalent to T-Mobile. Why? Marketing and customer service. T-Mobile always did customer service well, now they have an out of the box marketing push and fast network to back it up. Then add Uncarrier out of that.

The fact SoftBank hasn't done enough to change these things on Sprint's end is my biggest source of frustration. Lots more changes have to occur, and it can't just be on the network end.

I completely agree! And then in most cases sprint is falsely advertising there lte plus network in cities where it is not present. Which, also leaves a bad taste in customers mouth and they will leave.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So middle class white people shouldn't use the term ghetto in your mind? Ghetto is a term used by level of society by every ethnic group, it is part of vernacular American English. I don't see the problem, except the attempt at language policing by the left nuts. Just out of curiosity if it had been middle Asian Americans would it have been better?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

No one ever said that White people shouldn't say "ghetto". I just feel like insulting a potential consumer based because of their economic status is not right for an advertisement that's suppose to get people to consider your service. And no, had it been middle class Asian, Black, etc, it still would be problematic. It's just worthy to not that they were white because the term ghetto often has implicit racial biases since most of the "ghettos" in the U.S. are inhabited by people of color. But that's going off track.

• Like 6

Wow,

You seem to have some sort of love affair with T-mobile. Why so emotional?

Now you bozos gone and done it. You brung out the black truck driver who lives in the DC area and man is he gonna say it. If you guys are so PC that what a ad says makes you feel oh so sorry and think everyone should apologize to everyone else and need to take cultural sensitivity classes.

I have just one thing to say. Get you thumb out of your mouth and grow up already.

T-Mobile when first started and is still known today along with Metro PCS has been know to cater to the ghetto crowd for which most are known as millennials today.

And if someone says I'm African American I'll punch right in the face. My family has been in this area since 1833 and 1848 respectively. Now the none pc moment has been shared. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Wow,

You seem to have some sort of love affair with T-mobile. Why so emotional?

Please explain how that is a "love affair with T-Mobile". I think the facts are what the facts are. Now does T-Mo have downsides? Yes. I see it when I occasionally reload a $30 SIM for T-Mobile and see the issues with coverage where I live. I'm not saying they don't have issues. That said, giving T-Mobile due credit isn't a bad thing. The customer service and marketing are a big reason why T-Mobile has the fanboys. That's my point.

I was saying numerous times earlier today on this very board that Sprint can't afford any more slips and this happens. I don't think I'm being unnecessarily harsh at all. I would just rather see Sprint better customer service and marketing so they can add customers and get the capital needed to fuel NGN. I don't see how that is a bad thing at all. Am I being critical? Yes, but I'm trying to be critical in a constructive manner.

• Like 3

I think you're reading too much into the ad. I honestly don't know why you would bring up 'white people'. You're looking for something that simply isn't there. Socioeconomically insensitive? You could make an argument. But a race issue? Nope.

You should read up on the subject

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35296993

But regardless, calling your potential customers poor is not a good thing

• Like 2

Sprint said they do not need low band spectrum. Then will small cells help with signal penetration in buildings? If the answer is no then they really need those 600 spectrum.

The answer is yes, that's part of the reason small cell exist.
  • Like 5

Sprint said they do not need low band spectrum. Then will small cells help with signal penetration in buildings? If the answer is no then they really need those 600 spectrum.

My main line is on Verizon (no native Sprint where I live) and the places where small cells are deployed by Verizon don't really have any issues with in building penetration. Now granted, Verizon has 700 MHz spectrum up the wazoo, but where these small cells exist, I'm connecting via AWS in building and not 700. 

Did no-one notice the "african american" and the oriental girl at the table? And your exactly right TMobile had the perfect storm with 4 billion plus from the failed att merger, and yes Sprint has stumbled mainly do to extremely poor managment. And also correct small cells are designed to bring coverage where the macro cant and as well relieve capacity pressure as well as enhance throughput and accessibility where it has been deemed necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like what Sprint is doing with its network upgrades and all of the neat wireless tech stuff I've learned from S4GRU. However, the ads Sprint is putting forth from their customer meetings seem so ingenuine, cold-hearted, and cruel. For Marcelo to be sitting there allowing such disrespectful statements to be made from these people and not stopping it telling these people "Look, thank you for your past business, but this is not what Sprint is about. We are ending this meeting and not going to air this" is appaling. Where is Marcelo's sense of human dignity not to stop this at these meetings, and then letting these air? His apologizing seemed just as ingenuine to me and has made me think differently about him.

I've been critical of John Legere and some of his statements in the past, but this I think is worse. It is a racial comment this lady made with Marcelo sitting there. It is not a "PC" issue, it is a racial and class-based attack. He allowed it to be said without saying something back like "That was wrong to say, you shouldn't say things like that". Then, he allowed it to air. Shameful.

Ok, I don't say much on here lately anymore, but I'm going to say something now. There are white ghettos, and if it wasn't for the fact that my dad was a hard worker, I'd have grown up in one. A ghetto is a ghetto, it's a low income area. Calling T-Mobile customers ghetto was true before Legere took over, but he's done a lot to convince millennials otherwise. And yes, it's sad that people still only see T-Mobile for a ghetto carrier, and the MetroPCS purchase didn't help that image. Cricket was a "ghetto" carrier too, but look how AT&T rebranded it.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

• Like 12

This political bickering will cease immediately or bans will be issued with no delay. We are an open forum that discusses in technology and not politics.

MSNBC, CNN, FOX, Disquis comment threads and the like can serve those wish to do so but not here.

My serene and busy schedule of tonight has been interupted by these reports when I have deadlines to meet and

I am most unhappy. 

• Like 16

I'm not entirely certain it is the best idea to denigrate the customers you are trying to lure away. Sprint is finally in a position where it can leverage it's network assets and TMO seems to be suffering from not enough capacity to coperform with their growth. They should be focusing on that, not slinging mud. As a T-Mobile customer looking at sprint it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but that's probably just me.

• Like 4

I'm not entirely certain it is the best idea to denigrate the customers you are trying to lure away. Sprint is finally in a position where it can leverage it's network assets and TMO seems to be suffering from not enough capacity to coperform with their growth. They should be focusing on that, not slinging mud. As a T-Mobile customer looking at sprint it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but that's probably just me.

You assume they point of the add was to lure away T-Mobile customers. I dont think it was. It was probably designed to make Att or verizon customers think of sprint before T-Mobile.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I won't say much on this issue besides it shouldn't have been posted. I'm sure Sprint had other footage but opted for that snippet. It's going to be spun out of control because we see and hear what is displayed. Yes I'm sure this was meant to be viewed in another way but from the surface it doesn't look that way at all but rather a attack/dig on T-Mobile. As much as I like Sprint this is one hole they're going have have to dig themselves out of strategically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Plus articles about it will surely bring out in comments the I had Sprint a few years ago and they were horrible people...Magenta is God.

Verge article about it.. The comments were a Sprint rip fest.

This incident is indicative of a much greater issue in my opinion: Sprint's Social Media/Communications/PR strategy is dysfunctional and needs a reorganization/alignment from the top down. From my outside perspective, it appears that you've got silos of people working in a disconnected way. How did these YouTube videos get released on a soon-to-be-orphaned YouTube channel named "Listening Tour" with 33 subscribers? Why not release them on Sprint's official YouTube channel? It's stuff like that which drives me crazy.

Sun Tzu has said: “If there is disturbance in the camp, the general's authority is weak.” 

So Marcelo needs to have Roger Sole, his new Chief Marketing Officer, do a complete overhaul of Sprint's communications/social media/PR from the top down, and if that means some people have to be shown the door, so be it. Update the format and appearance of the Sprint Newsroom Page so that it looks more professional. Much of the content there (especially the Press Kits) has poor formatting, copy editing and proofreading not befitting a professional organization. Sprint also needs to get its Social Media channels aligned so that it's not releasing one-off content on to-be-orphaned YouTube channels, etc.

Marcelo will never be a Twitter Celeb like Legere. It just won't happen. So, Sprint has to play to what should be its strengths: Integrity, Value, Customer Service

Sprint could run an entire positive-focused ad campaign based on "Yeah, we know we let you down in the past. But we're much better now with LTE Plus, and we're a better value than the competition. Give us a try for 30 days and see what you think for yourself".

People can relate to that, and it would work.

• Like 13