Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Posted Image

Here's that Middleton tower. Not broadcasting LTE yet, but I believe that's a 1900 and an 800 RRU on there, so when they do light it up, it'll be glorious.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'd assume LTE will only be active on that tower when a cluster of towers are ready to go live. I drive past there every day. I'll let you guys know when its active.

Not necessary for a cluster to be ready.  Many of the towers have started all by their lonesome....ie, the McFarland Tower was the only one active in our area, then Oregon, then Sun Prairie, etc. etc.  I think they just need all the pieces to be in place, then whammo, turn it on. 

Since you work in the Greenway area, head out Greenway until it hits Pleasant View, then turn right, after you pass the golf course turn in, keep an eye to the left and see if you see any work going on if there's a tower there or something ;) .  I'm interested to understand these guys' pattern for work.  That High St. tower is ready for juice as far as I could tell last night, so I'm sure they've moved on to the next tower.  That antenna I posted is what you're looking for with the the two RRU's on them. 

• Like 1

Not necessary for a cluster to be ready.  Many of the towers have started all by their lonesome....ie, the McFarland Tower was the only one active in our area, then Oregon, then Sun Prairie, etc. etc.  I think they just need all the pieces to be in place, then whammo, turn it on. 

Since you work in the Greenway area, head out Greenway until it hits Pleasant View, then turn right, after you pass the golf course turn in, keep an eye to the left and see if you see any work going on if there's a tower there or something ;) .  I'm interested to understand these guys' pattern for work.  That High St. tower is ready for juice as far as I could tell last night, so I'm sure they've moved on to the next tower.  That antenna I posted is what you're looking for with the the two RRU's on them. 

The interesting thing is, it seems the suburban/outskirts areas are getting lit up 1 tower at a time, yet the city centers have no towers. That is why i was thinking they would light up the city towers in clusters or multiple towers at a time.

pamyve2e.jpg

Here's that Middleton tower. Not broadcasting LTE yet, but I believe that's a 1900 and an 800 RRU on there, so when they do light it up, it'll be glorious.

Anyone know what kind of panels the small ones are on the left and right?

• Like 1

Anyone know what kind of panels the small ones are on the left and right?

That's legacy 1900 CDMA/EVDO, which will be left up until a month or 2 after 3g takes over from the NV antenna.  Also, with LTE most of the time they light them up one at a time in Minnesota, which is also a Samsung market.

• Like 1

The interesting thing is, it seems the suburban/outskirts areas are getting lit up 1 tower at a time, yet the city centers have no towers. That is why i was thinking they would light up the city towers in clusters or multiple towers at a time.

The Milwaukee towers are being lit up individually....

Hmm.  Looking at the map.  West Bend and north of Port Washington maybe?

I'm pretty sure that 39/90 at 51 near Stoughton/Madison is at least one of those towers. 

I know the one north of Port Washington is one of the new ones. 

That's legacy 1900 CDMA/EVDO, which will be left up until a month or 2 after 3g takes over from the NV antenna.  Also, with LTE most of the time they light them up one at a time in Minnesota, which is also a Samsung market.

I thought as much, thanks. I see small panels like that everywhere, i will keep an eye out for NV on those towers.

Well I got a nice little surprise after work today. I got to map a little bit of very low LTE signal in Waukesha to the East of the Waukesha airport. I pulled out of the Airport Rd Business park where I work (right  to the South of the Airport) and my phone chimed. So I immediately fired up Sensorly and mapped what I could. I've never gotten anything there before, so I'm guessing maybe it's the farthest little reach of the LTE tower in Wales... A speed test got me 1.6Mbps down, I closed it before the upload started though. The signal strength was -120dBm at the time. Signal Check pro said "Serving Cell:09805301" under the LTE section. What does that mean? Is that the cell tower ID or something?

I have a volleyball game at the Center Court Sports Complex in an hour, so I'll be heading back out to that same spot to see if I can map a little more :)

• Like 1

I got a little near the airport about 2 weeks ago. A little to the right on the sensorly map. Good to see the signal getting stronger. I see some darker purple in your mapping.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Would great to be able to see a time lapse video of the Milwaukee area. Who has skills?

Like time lapse of pins going up on the sponsor map? That would have been a good idea. I could try to start that from now on with daily screen shots, then make a gif.....for the sponsor side only of course. Not sure if Robert would be okay with this.

Madison is back to eHRPD this morning. EV-DO for the past couple days.

Like time lapse of pins going up on the sponsor map? That would have been a good idea. I could try to start that from now on with daily screen shots, then make a gif.....for the sponsor side only of course. Not sure if Robert would be okay with this.

like this http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2293-animated-maps/

Rats, I could have done that from the beginning when we had zero towers, would have been really cool to see them pop up one by one in the state.  I'll try to start now, although it won't be as impressive I guess. Plus you can just collapse them all down to a gif instead of requiring Flash Player. 

I'm fairly sure that the water tower on 27th and sycamore has some nv antennas on it. The western most antennas are all that I could catch a glimpse of while driving and there appeared to be RRU on the center antenna just like the other cell sites I've checked out. I won't be able to go investigate until Sunday to confirm though.

I'm fairly sure that the water tower on 27th and sycamore has some nv antennas on it. The western most antennas are all that I could catch a glimpse of while driving and there appeared to be RRU on the center antenna just like the other cell sites I've checked out. I won't be able to go investigate until Sunday to confirm though.

When you look close up on Sensorly you see a small purple dot near that location, I wonder if that happened when they tested it.

Everytime I drive by I've tried to find 4G, no luck so far.

There are more similar dots on the map, 3 in the South Milwaukee / Cudahy area & one in Oak Creek near Hwy 32 & County Line Rd.

I wonder if these are towers getting ready to go on line.

• Like 1

Although the one dot on 27th is off on it's own next to where the cell site I mentioned would be I'm leaning more towards that being a little fleeting signal from the other sites due to Rawson being all lit up until it hits 27th. It could possibly be it but who knows.

The other two very well could be going live and be near completion.

I might be able to go check all three sites out tomorrow or possibly Monday and give some more feedback.

pamyve2e.jpg

Are you sure this site has been upgraded to lte? or just NV equipment? Word on the street is not all NV sites have lte right away? 

Are you sure this site has been upgraded to lte? or just NV equipment? Word on the street is not all NV sites have lte right away? 

That sure is a 800 and 1900 RRU on there. It might just not be on the air yet. Might be waiting on stuff yet so it could be awhile.