Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Looks like there is now LTE at I-894 and Loomis Rd according to the accepted site map!

I just stood stopped by that tower 30 minutes ago and couldn't even do a speed test, or update of any sort; but my signal check was as green as could be. Sup with that?

I just stood stopped by that tower 30 minutes ago and couldn't even do a speed test, or update of any sort; but my signal check was as green as could be. Sup with that?

Based on my experience it takes a couple of days before you can LTE from it after approval.

Based on my experience it takes a couple of days before you can LTE from it after approval.

Or in my case, a week or longer from the tower down the road from me.

Sometimes it is available immediately like the tower by Miller Park.

• Like 1

This question covers 3 different subject areas; triband phones, clearwire, and Milwaukee so excuse me if I'm posting it in the wrong area. Is Milwaukee going to be serviced by that 2.5 spectrum from Clearwire? I'm waiting for a triband phone, but if we aren't going to get it, I'm not going to waste my time.

Edited by Calvin200

This question covers 3 different subject areas; triband phones, clearwire and Milwaukee so excuse me if I'm posting it in the wrong area.  Is Milwaukee going to be serviced by that 2.5 spectrum from Clearwire?  I'm waiting for a triband phone, but if we aren't going to get it, I'm not going to waste my time. 

At this time that is a bit of an unknown. We assume that SoftBank is going to push the 2500 LTE coverage outside of the original WiMax cities, but we don't know when that will begin.

However, you will need a Tri-Band device to take advantage of 800 LTE which will be going live later this summer or fall in Milwaukee.

At this time that is a bit of an unknown. We assume that SoftBank is going to push the 2500 LTE coverage outside of the original WiMax cities, but we don't know when that will begin.

However, you will need a Tri-Band device to take advantage of 800 LTE which will be going live later this summer or fall in Milwaukee.

Thanks for answering the next question I was going to ask.

• Like 1

Or it could already be there and we just don't know about it because there are no devices that can see it!!!!  :) 

Or it could already be there and we just don't know about it because there are no devices that can see it!!!!   :)

True, but we haven't received any notifications of 800 LTE activations. They're supposed to start in the Chicago, Indianapolis, South Bend, Fort Wayne markets first. 

True, but we haven't received any notifications of 800 LTE activations. They're supposed to start in the Chicago, Indianapolis, South Bend, Fort Wayne markets first.

It's like War of the Worlds, they planted the devices for LTE 800 years ago and suddenly they'll become active.

Yeah, I'm kidding obviously.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tokay tower is underway, should be done Friday. The "cluster" turned on by Aug 1. Very nice crew. They were finishing Fiber back haul and just have to run it up the tower.

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I saw another crew working on a tower in the Milwaukee area this morning. I dropped my girlfriend off at work downtown this morning and I was on my way out to Waukesha. The water tower on 84th St. between Bluemound and Hwy 94 had a guy in a cherry picker doing something with the panels that are strapped onto the tower. I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it's for Sprint. I pulled over to snap a couple quick pictures, but I couldn't stick around since I had to get to work. And yes, these pictures are pretty terrible, but I was rushed. I think in this first pic, you can see RRU's at the top, but I'm not certain. I'll probably take a drive past there after work to check it out since I have to go pick up the girlfriend from downtown anyways.

84th2.jpg84thSt.jpg

• Like 1

When you look close up on Sensorly you see a small purple dot near that location, I wonder if that happened when they tested it.

Everytime I drive by I've tried to find 4G, no luck so far.

There are more similar dots on the map, 3 in the South Milwaukee / Cudahy area & one in Oak Creek near Hwy 32 & County Line Rd.

I wonder if these are towers getting ready to go on line.

Hello I'm new to the forum but have been reading it for the past 2 months. I have a little info on the 4g in the cudahy area. I work in Cudahy and I have been getting 4g for the past 2 weeks off and on. Its only been in certain areas at work though. Today the data has been working with no problems. The purple on the sensorly map in Cudahy is probably from me. I took a screenshot in SignalCheck but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. LOL

So I have more good news, unfortunately no pictures though to accompany given the distance and only having my GS4 on me, the pictures did not come out great.  Since the tech at Tokay said he'd been a "few rooftops" in Madison but didn't divulge addresses, I went hunting at lunch on State Street.

The tower on State Street in Madison that's on a roof top of the apartment building (nearer the bottom of state) has new NV panels and RRUs on it.  It's hard to tell because they have been painted brown and therefore do not look brand new like the other ones we've been seeing around town.  Therefore they are hard to take pictures of because they blend in.  This must all be very fresh work as last week these antennas did not exist.  I have no idea about the back haul, cabinets, etc. as I was not on the roof.

I'm starting to believe the idea of a "cluster" of towers going live in Madison at once.  That's 3 towers now that are poised to get lit up soon (in theory).  I'm going to visit the other roof top areas to see what's up there this week.  Who knows how many are ready since not all of them are accessible/visible.  Next week, I'm in Michigan all week, so I'll hopefully come back to some speedy LTE.

Boy, today is just one of those days. I'm sitting at my desk right now and my phone has been trying to download an update for the Groupon app for the past 40 minutes. I've tried force closing the update (it says the app that's doing is is "Download Manager") but it just pops right back up. Google Play is set up to only automatically update apps when connected to WiFi so I have NO idea why it's trying to update apps right now.

It's particularly annoying because my phone battery dies quickly enough even when it's not doing anything because it has to search for signal so often but now that it's doing this, it's just going to constantly drain for the rest of the day. I've tried going to the Google Play store app to manually stop it from there, but it keeps telling me that the connection is timing out. This wouldn't be an issue if I could get some usable data service because that would have at a minimum allowed me to go to the Play Store page for the app(s) trying to update and just hit "Stop Downloading" or whatever.

I'm so fed up with this, particularly today. It's been a number of issues all adding up. I know LTE is coming, as are other network improvements, but man it's just been really annoying lately. I could barely get any data even though I was outside in the Third Ward earlier for lunch and then I had a call drop while I was outside on the lower eastside yesterday. To add to that, I couldn't get any data when I was outside on North Ave. near Whole Foods a few weeks ago either.

I know Sprint can offer good service because I get awesome quality signal and speeds when I go home to visit family, but not here, that's for sure. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I REALLY can't wait until this work is done. It's almost embarassing when I'm with my friends who are on other networks.

That said, I noticed some LTE downtown by the freeway around 4th St. again for a minute or two. Fastest speed test came in around 130 KB/s download and 80 KB/s upload. It definitely still seems to be in testing or something, (I hope, because it should be faster and more consistent if it's live) but it went away pretty quickly, or maybe my phone isn't that great at holding on to 4G signal.

There does seem to be a general improvement around where I work downtown, as speed tests in the morning show improvement (10-15 KB/s downloads now showing up closer to 40 KB/s) but the situation deteriorates horribly for the afternoon to the point where it's like they haven't done anything at all. Just a lot of connection errors.

/rant - mostly just venting. I'm good.

Edited by norsairius

Someone is up working on the water tower on i94 at Sunnyslope Rd. Not sure if they are Sprint antennas or a competitors.

Yea, I saw that this morning too.... I do not believe that is a Sprint site. 

Along i94 at goerkes corners, the barker Rd exit... There are Sprint panels on one of those black-ish buildings to the South. I've been watching those every day because I drive right past there to and from work. Today, I thought I saw RRU's mounted next to a couple of the panels.... I'm not 100% sure, but I will definitely check again on the way home. 

Wasn't sure it was Sprint or not.  Thanks for clarifying.  I think I know the buildings you are talking about on the south side of the freeway.  I also drive down Bluemound past there 5 days a week.I may have to drive back that way later and try a get some pictures of the buildings.  I know someone is working by the attorney's building, which i think is one of the buildings you are talking about, with a cherry picker as well this morning.  They've been there on a off lately so, once again,it may be unrelated.  Even with all the pictures people have posted,I still can't be sure if I am looking at the correct ones. lol

haha. I saw that guy in the cherry picker too. It looks like he was just painting though, I saw a big white spot where he was working. I think all the Sprint panels are on the next building up (to the west). Both of them look the same, but I think the one to the West, I'm pretty sure I saw like white-ish boxes next to the panels. The panels are painted brown to blend in, but I've never seen anything next to them until today. It's weird though... because I don't think I ever saw new panels get put up, they look like the same ones that have been there for a year now... So I have no idea what's going on there. 

Hello I'm new to the forum but have been reading it for the past 2 months. I have a little info on the 4g in the cudahy area. I work in Cudahy and I have been getting 4g for the past 2 weeks off and on. Its only been in certain areas at work though. Today the data has been working with no problems. The purple on the sensorly map in Cudahy is probably from me. I took a screenshot in SignalCheck but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. 

Welcome! there's a ton of great info out here. You can get an awesome mixture of "official" information directly from the site owner himself, combined with first-hand accounts of people in our area reporting work they see going on and so on. If you become a sponsor of the site then you can get access to all the official maps and see exactly which towers have been upgraded. The maps get updated pretty frequently, like every few days usually. 

I saw another crew working on a tower in the Milwaukee area this morning. I dropped my girlfriend off at work downtown this morning and I was on my way out to Waukesha. The water tower on 84th St. between Bluemound and Hwy 94 had a guy in a cherry picker doing something with the panels that are strapped onto the tower. I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it's for Sprint. I pulled over to snap a couple quick pictures, but I couldn't stick around since I had to get to work. And yes, these pictures are pretty terrible, but I was rushed. I think in this first pic, you can see RRU's at the top, but I'm not certain. I'll probably take a drive past there after work to check it out since I have to go pick up the girlfriend from downtown anyways.

84th2.jpg84thSt.jpg

Thank you! This is one of the 4 towers that surrounds my house. This is very good news. If I get a chance, I will take some shots with my girlfriend's paparazzi camera.

BTW, this is tower -redaced- just off Hawley Rd. If we get some seasoned vets to confirm some high rez shots can we consider this site "In Progress?"

EDIT: Nevermind, this is some other tower. Got excited there. Wauwatosa must have a lot of red tape at the local govt level.

Edited by lilotimz
DO NOT POST SITE ID IN PUBLIC