Do you happen to know if Crown Castle owns the site, or the City of Los Angeles?  There was a vault for the site that was marked "Crown Castle".

Do you happen to know if Crown Castle owns the site, or the City of Los Angeles?  There was a vault for the site that was marked "Crown Castle".

Not sure, but I think that they are city owned. I have observed (as seen in the photo) that many street light poles around the areas surrounding these sites have small receivers installed. The city replaced the old high pressure sodium street lights with LED fixtures over the past few years, and wants to be able to remotely dim and brighten the lights at will using wireless technology...perhaps that is what these sites are for, as well as leasing to wireless providers eventually for extra revenue.

light pole.jpg

Not sure, but I think that they are city owned. I have observed (as seen in the photo) that many street light poles around the areas surrounding these sites have small receivers installed. The city replaced the old high pressure sodium street lights with LED fixtures over the past few years, and wants to be able to remotely dim and brighten the lights at will using wireless technology...perhaps that is what these sites are for, as well as leasing to wireless providers eventually for extra revenue.

In my opinion the new installations would be gross overkill for the street light controllers.  But that's my opinion and it's not close to even being worth 2 cents.

On a related note, it's kind of sad to see the old series wired street lights go away.  A lot of that was circa 1940s infrastructure.  Obviously the LEDs are superior in almost every way, but it was like a living museum of electrical history.

1x800 in Hawaiian Gardens! As close as I have seen to SBC so far. Might just be testing because it keeps going back and forth to 1xRTT.

Edited by Samappz
  • Like 7

That looks like one of the old and never removed modems from Richocet, a system that was shut down long time ago. I used it in OC and it was wireless surfing at 128Kbps!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in LA yesterday and I noticed that my iPhone 6s dropped a lot of times into 3G even within LTE areas that should have great coverage. I saw this as well at LAX (Terminal 3) where I was stuck on 1x for some time. LA needs more sites and B26 ugently.

• Like 2

I was in LA yesterday and I noticed that my iPhone 6s dropped a lot of times into 3G even within LTE areas that should have great coverage. I saw this as well at LAX (Terminal 3) where I was stuck on 1x for some time. LA needs more sites and B26 ugently.

I haven't been in the North terminals for a while, but T5 & T6 coverage and speed have been good for me.

When I had my HTC M8 it would automatically connect to the Boingo Wi-Fi in the airport, but I don't think that's happened with my 6s.  Maybe that would go a long way toward solving connectivity in T3.

You're right, SoCal in general needs greater site density and B26.  NYC for example or Atlanta offer a much better experience.

That said, there is progress being made in this market.  There have been a lot of 3G sites in the canyons that have been converted to LTE.  Many of these sites aren't even sites listed on the NV map.

• Like 2

Same down in San Diego. It would be nice to see B26. San Diego market has been quiet which means LA market gotten all the resources. This is from past experience and usually San Diego gets its resources when LA market slows down.

• Like 1

I haven't been in the North terminals for a while, but T5 & T6 coverage and speed have been good for me.

When I had my HTC M8 it would automatically connect to the Boingo Wi-Fi in the airport, but I don't think that's happened with my 6s.  Maybe that would go a long way toward solving connectivity in T3.

You're right, SoCal in general needs greater site density and B26.  NYC for example or Atlanta offer a much better experience.

That said, there is progress being made in this market.  There have been a lot of 3G sites in the canyons that have been converted to LTE.  Many of these sites aren't even sites listed on the NV map.

I noticed some large antennas on the parking lot across the street from the terminal, but wasn't able to see who runs them. In terms of WiFi, I don't like to use public networks for security reasons.

I'm surprised that Sprint has not been more aggressive to convert former WiMax sites to full CDMA/LTE sites.

The 3G sites where in the middle of the city like around the LATTC

It's why I had to leave them, same thing in the South Bay (San Jose). I just don't understand it. LA really just needs more sites, I don't think B26 will fix the problems, it will just end up overloaded.

PS. This isn't a bashing post, I want Sprint to be awesome because their plans offer good value and good competition is awesome. I just don't get how it's still so bad. 

• Like 1

Some fastback action in LA

rYto38C.jpg

Owned by the city and long termed lease by Crown Castle who in turn leases it out to generally Verizon at the moment.

• Like 1

Sprint service on the Metro Red and Purple lines is coming in 2-3 months. Verizon service just launched.

https://www.metro.net/news/simple_pr/cell-service-now-available-verizon-customers-metro/

The (mostly) peace and quiet I enjoy on the subway will soon be coming to an end...  :(

• Like 1

Owned by the city and long termed lease by Crown Castle who in turn leases it out to generally Verizon at the moment.

I have a request in with the City for a list of the SmartPole site locations, so it will be interesting to see if any of them would be useful to Sprint, or if they were solely placed with Verizon in mind.

It's why I had to leave them, same thing in the South Bay (San Jose). I just don't understand it. LA really just needs more sites, I don't think B26 will fix the problems, it will just end up overloaded.

PS. This isn't a bashing post, I want Sprint to be awesome because their plans offer good value and good competition is awesome. I just don't get how it's still so bad.

Band 26 will actually solve most of the coverage gaps as it does travel further in distance. Yes it will be overloaded but that's why they're rolling out small cells to densify it. They'll be fine when band 26 is cleared for rollout

The (mostly) peace and quiet I enjoy on the subway will soon be coming to an end...  :(

It's definitely not as bad as you think. In NYC there is currently a project to bring cellular service to our 400+ stations which have been service-less since its inception in the mid-late 19th Century. People don't really take advantage of the new service unless they're just trying to make a quick call while waiting for the train. Pretty much everyone understands how awkward it is to have a phone conversation on the train.

It's definitely not as bad as you think. In NYC there is currently a project to bring cellular service to our 400+ stations which have been service-less since its inception in the mid-late 19th Century. People don't really take advantage of the new service unless they're just trying to make a quick call while waiting for the train. Pretty much everyone understands how awkward it is to have a phone conversation on the train.

I wish I could say that Angelinos could possibly have this kind of respect for their fellow riders, but that is sadly not the case. Tons of people have no problem making loud calls on the light-rail trains that run above ground (and thus have cell service). The only thing that stops them is when those trains occasionally have to go through an underground tunnel. Maybe that attitude will change since underground cell service is a comparatively precious commodity, but I'm skeptical.

It might not look like it, but all of these sites have LTE. Sponsors can get the details in the "Report Sites in Progress" thread.

QUpxs3Nm.jpg

5k4VOILm.jpg

obkFLJdm.jpg

rBiqufqm.jpg

maOFkfTm.jpg

Are these small cells in LA ? Exact location ?

Are these small cells in LA ? Exact location ?

I posted the exact locations in the thread below, but you have to be a sponsor to get access:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3369-report-in-progress-sites-here/?p=477729

Generally, you can find these type of sites in the hilly terrain surrounding the city.

I posted the exact locations in the thread below, but you have to be a sponsor to get access:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3369-report-in-progress-sites-here/?p=477729

Generally, you can find these type of sites in the hilly terrain surrounding the city.

Nice work! There are 5 of these type of sites on Carbon Canyon Road, I'll be checking up on them this weekend for any progress. The site near Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea is B25 and B41 active now since the last map update.

• Like 1