800 will be deployed before 600. At this point and time 600 mhz is years away (2018-2019 minimum) and there's absolutely nothing prepared or ready (it doesn't even have a band #!).

FCC and Sprint will eventually force them off one way with recent comments by FCC giving an insight into how frustrated they are with these hold outs. 

Are you referring to the documents that bigmachine referenced or is it something else? I haven't seen anything from the FCC about any sort of frustration in regards to SBC. At least nothing like their letter to APS in Arizona about their inability to adequately justify the extra cost for a "public safety system on steroids."

• 1 month later...

I've seen the 2nd carrier (41176) in West Hollywood, along the 10 in LA, La Habra, Brea, Fullerton, Hacienda Heights and Whittier as well. I have an iPhone 6 so I can't tell 2xCA, but I keep Field Test Mode on during the commute sometimes [emoji41] All Sprint, no Clear yet.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've seen the 2nd carrier (41176) in West Hollywood, along the 10 in LA, La Habra, Brea, Fullerton, Hacienda Heights and Whittier as well. I have an iPhone 6 so I can't tell 2xCA, but I keep Field Test Mode on during the commute sometimes [emoji41] All Sprint, no Clear yet.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Awesome I definitely need to check out all those markets when I get a 2xCA device since I am there most often.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Sprint have any plans to refarm a second B25 LTE carrier any time soon in LA Metro and OC county?

I was in Julian a couple weeks ago and had a second B25 carrier. Granted, that is in the middle of nowhere.
  • Like 1

Yes. How soon, I don't know. It's shown up in San Diego now.

Yeah i saw the post about a second B25 LTE carrier in San Diego which probably gave me the idea that Sprint might be trying to refarm So Cal to add capacity.

Yeah i saw the post about a second B25 LTE carrier in San Diego which probably gave me the idea that Sprint might be trying to refarm So Cal to add capacity.

They are refarming PCS CDMA to LTE in every single market with the excess spectrum to do so. Some market take longer than others due to the sheer amount of sites they have to reconfigure but if a market exceeds 20 MHz of PCS A-F spectrum holdings and have a minimum of 30 MHz of PCS A-F holdings then they're on the chopping blocks to be refarmed. 

• Like 2

They are refarming PCS CDMA to LTE in every single market with the excess spectrum to do so. Some market take longer than others due to the sheer amount of sites they have to reconfigure but if a market exceeds 20 MHz of PCS A-F spectrum holdings and have a minimum of 30 MHz of PCS A-F holdings then they're on the chopping blocks to be refarmed. 

Good to hear that Sprint is beginning to refarm every single market to add a second B25 LTE carrier.  That should at least help at least improve the gap for areas that still do not have much B41 LTE.

Good to hear that Sprint is beginning to refarm every single market to add a second B25 LTE carrier. That should at least help at least improve the gap for areas that still do not have much B41 LTE.

They're not beginning. They are and have been since last spring time. We were notified of it in spring.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is my first time seeing this configuration in the LA Metro market:

Underground equipment vault + pole mounted RRU + omnidirectional antennas.  (Most pole installations seem to be GMO.)

This happens to be a site that's not on the NV map.  I'll post more info in the Sponsor section when I get a chance.

0es23H0m.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to see an extra microwave dish being installed on many of the Clear sites around town, now there are three where there were typically two. Could this be in preparation for the WiMAX shutdown and 2XCA?

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Starting to see an extra microwave dish being installed on many of the Clear sites around town, now there are three where there were typically two. Could this be in preparation for the WiMAX shutdown and 2XCA?

It's been confirmed from field observations and through sources™ that Sprint has been upgrading backhaul to Clear site locations in almost all areas. The extra microwave dish may just be for additional bandwidth to the existing daisy chain but could also be a feeder to another location (be it Sprint or a new site). I've seen a few applications for microwave antenna installations on a few Clear sites up here as well. 

• Like 3

It's been confirmed from field observations and through sources[emoji769] that Sprint has been upgrading backhaul to Clear site locations in almost all areas. The extra microwave dish may just be for additional bandwidth to the existing daisy chain but could also be a feeder to another location (be it Sprint or a new site). I've seen a few applications for microwave antenna installations on a few Clear sites up here as well.

Nice to see progress, thanks for the explanation [emoji106]

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first time seeing this type of street light stealth site.

It's a Crown Castle site near the Staples center in Downtown Los Angeles.

TT1Rvrxm.jpg

qpvShSBm.jpg

It's different from the Verizon small cell sites in the city, and also different from the MetroPCS small cells that were deployed several years ago.  There's an AT&T site on the other side of the block.  I wasn't able to pick up any Sprint related signals from it.

Any idea what carrier(s) might be using it?

Here's some background on what Crown Castle is doing in the area:

http://www.crowncastle.com/Projects_Case-Study_PDFs/LosAngeles.pdf

It's different from the Verizon small cell sites in the city, and also different from the MetroPCS small cells that were deployed several years ago.  There's an AT&T site on the other side of the block.  I wasn't able to pick up any Sprint related signals from it.

It's an ODAS / Small cell. Most of this type of setup I've seen belonged to Verizon to comply with local complaints with how stuff looks (nimbies). 

• Like 1

TT1Rvrxm.jpg

qpvShSBm.jpg

It's different from the Verizon small cell sites in the city, and also different from the MetroPCS small cells that were deployed several years ago. There's an AT&T site on the other side of the block. I wasn't able to pick up any Sprint related signals from it.

From Phillips and Ericsson. They're all over Hollywood.

http://www.newscenter.philips.com/main/standard/news/press/2015/20151106-los-angeles-is-the-worlds-first-city-to-deploy-philips-smartpole-street-lighting.wpd#.Vs5JyRQ76JI

• Like 1