As a newcomer, I wanna ask how do I spot each type of RRU? Could someone show me some examples. And just to add to this, here's what I'm getting in East L.A. on the street level

Band 41: -106dBm

Download: 17.87 Mbps

Upload: 2.10 Mbps

Ping: 47 ms

Is this cause for concern, because I notice there's a place just a couple minutes away down the street that has better reception by a mile?

As a newcomer, I wanna ask how do I spot each type of RRU? Could someone show me some examples. And just to add to this, here's what I'm getting in East L.A. on the street level

Is this cause for concern, because I notice there's a place just a couple minutes away down the street that has better reception by a mile?

Look at the links in my signature. You'll be looking for Clearwire Samsung, Clearwire Huawei, and Alcatel-Lucent gear.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

And just to add to this, here's what I'm getting in East L.A. on the street level

That's decent performance for a Non CA phone with that signal strength. :tu:

B41 propagation distance varies significantly site by site. It's a high frequency and can be affected more by a one degree difference in downtilt, or mounting height difference than other frequencies. So the minor variations of installation between sites can make a vast difference in propagation distance. Also, site optimization may still be occurring where they adjust power transmission levels and sector aiming/downtilt.

A reduction in signal variability will occur post optimization, creating a little more consistency. However, given the nature of B41, it will still exist. Sprint is planning tens of thousands more B41 macro sites and small cells to be added in their Next Generation Network initiative, to help fill the gaps in B41 coverage between sites. Until then, B25 and B26 fill in the gaps in between. Their performance improves with every B41 site that goes live and reduces the burden on them.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 1

That's decent performance for a Non CA phone with that signal strength. :tu:

B41 propagation distance varies significantly site by site. It's a high frequency and can be affected more by a one degree difference in downtilt, or mounting height difference than other frequencies. So the minor variations of installation between sites can make a vast difference in propagation distance. Also, site optimization may still be occurring where they adjust power transmission levels and sector aiming/downtilt.

A reduction in signal variability will occur post optimization, creating a little more consistency. However, given the nature of B41, it will still exist. Sprint is planning tens of thousands more B41 macro sites and small cells to be added in their Next Generation Network initiative, to help fill the gaps in B41 coverage between sites. Until then, B25 and B26 fill in the gaps in between. Their performance improves with every B41 site that goes live and reduces the burden on them.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense. I ought to mention that the speed test was from my M8 H/K. So since it is not CA capable, will my speeds ever improve with Bands 25/26?

Edited by CheaPatrick

Thanks for the info. Makes sense. I ought to mention that the speed test was from my M8 H/K. So since it is not CA capable, will my speeds ever improve with Bands 25/26?

Yes, more capacity will be at everyone's disposal. Peak speeds will be unchanged on non CA devices, but will benefit everyone with more available spectrum.

B41 will indirectly improve B25/26 by offloading traffic from it, but peaks speeds will be unchanged.

Sprint doesn't use CA for Bands 25 and 26. Only Band 41. Speeds can improve on these bands as more traffic gets removed from them and put on 41.

Sprint doesn't use CA for Bands 25 and 26. Only Band 41. Speeds can improve on these bands as more traffic gets removed from them and put on 41.

Yes, more capacity will be at everyone's disposal. Peak speeds will be unchanged on non CA devices, but will benefit everyone with more available spectrum.

B41 will indirectly improve B25/26 by offloading traffic from it, but peaks speeds will be unchanged.

So does LA have Bands 25/26? Have been on 41 only as of now (as far as I can see).

So does LA have Bands 25/26? Have been on 41 only as of now (as far as I can see).

The whole area has B25. B26 is being held up by San Bernardino county public safety taking their time moving out of the spectrum Sprint needs for B26.

Sent from my LG G4

The whole area has B25. B26 is being held up by San Bernardino county public safety taking their time moving out of the spectrum Sprint needs for B26.

Sent from my LG G4

Is there any reason then that I don't receive band 25 at this time in east LA?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

If you are within range of a decent B41 signal, your device will prefer it because it is the better network. Also keeps some of the load off the B25 network for single band devices.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

I was in LA last week and I was actually getting annoyed with the lack of B41. I was stuck in traffic just about every morning and most times I was stuck on B25 which was very overloaded with everyone stuck in traffic trying to use their phones. So enjoy that band 41!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

I was in LA last week and I was actually getting annoyed with the lack of B41. I was stuck in traffic just about every morning and most times I was stuck on B25 which was very overloaded with everyone stuck in traffic trying to use their phones. So enjoy that band 41!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

They messed up band priorities about 2 months ago. Why would sprint force you on 3g, no signal, or B25 vice how they used to keep you in B41? I've been asked by sprint care to send them details but what more details then all towers in the LA and OC area shunt you off B41 (when you rarely get it) to no signal or 3g when we used to surf constantly in B41? Service has never been worse.

They messed up band priorities about 2 months ago. Why would sprint force you on 3g, no signal, or B25 vice how they used to keep you in B41? I've been asked by sprint care to send them details but what more details then all towers in the LA and OC area shunt you off B41 (when you rarely get it) to no signal or 3g when we used to surf constantly in B41? Service has never been worse.

Strange, in the past month I've been all over the place...Brea/La Habra, Costa Mesa, Torrance, West Hollywood, SFV, SGV...I haven't had a problem with B41. Maybe just your immediate area?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439754354.066962.jpg

• Like 1

Strange, in the past month I've been all over the place...Brea/La Habra, Costa Mesa, Torrance, West Hollywood, SFV, SGV...I haven't had a problem with B41. Maybe just your immediate area?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1439754354.066962.jpg

I don't know about Brea... there is one tower in particular that I am usually connected to during the day and I used to get a decent band 41 signal indoors, but now it's completely gone. I can only get unusable 3G now. Similar problem on my home tower. I used to be connected consistently to band 25, but now it bounces back and forth to 3G and rarely stays on band 25 for very long.

I don't know about Brea... there is one tower in particular that I am usually connected to during the day and I used to get a decent band 41 signal indoors, but now it's completely gone. I can only get unusable 3G now. Similar problem on my home tower. I used to be connected consistently to band 25, but now it bounces back and forth to 3G and rarely stays on band 25 for very long.

I've noticed the same thing in Brea. Do you recall if these were Clearwire B41 signals before? I still think something is wrong in OC. I'm waiting for this mysterious "big data" thing to work and to see that people went from 80% or more on LTE to 50% or less while driving.

Something more might be going on...Pretty sure I'm still connecting to band 41 the majority of the time.  I'll start paying more attention though.

I've noticed the same thing in Brea. Do you recall if these were Clearwire B41 signals before? I still think something is wrong in OC. I'm waiting for this mysterious "big data" thing to work and to see that people went from 80% or more on LTE to 50% or less while driving.

I wonder just how big this "big data" statement was, is this something new for them, will they build a map internally of all real time performance of every phone on the network??? Or did he say "big data" because it's a word investors like to hear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an 8t8r site, but the nearest neighbor is a Clearwire tower. I haven't connected very often to the Clearwire tower since my Wimax days since I'm too far indoors. If the Clearwire tower was fully built out, I would probably get pretty solid B25 coverage indoors, but I can't imagine when that would be happening.

I wonder just how big this "big data" statement was, is this something new for them, will they build a map internally of all real time performance of every phone on the network??? Or did he say "big data" because it's a word investors like to hear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a little of both. Investors love to hear fancy words that they don't understand like "the cloud" or "big data" :)

That would be impressive if it was real-time, but it's probably easier to work with the data in batches than trying to recognize patterns as they are occurring.

Probably a little of both. Investors love to hear fancy words that they don't understand like "the cloud" or "big data" :)

That would be impressive if it was real-time, but it's probably easier to work with the data in batches than trying to recognize patterns as they are occurring.

the real time is wishful thinking, but even say last months data would be awesome, to get performance data from every phone on your network, in a map format... say color code connections 1x connections in bright red, all lte bands different colors and so on, have to imagine that would make small cell placement planing very very easy... look all those red dots, small cell in the middle BOOM!!!!  

I stand corrected, I can finally see something wrong...example in Brea/La Habra. Of the towers I know broadcasting B41 (fairly even mix of Clear and Sprint) my phone will not connect to two Clear sites which I know were fine weeks ago. Weird thing is with one of the Clear sites, it seems to be two sectors down and one sector broadcasting. I spent an hour driving to the sites and testing, and reporting via the Sprint Zone app. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I stand corrected, I can finally see something wrong...example in Brea/La Habra. Of the towers I know broadcasting B41 (fairly even mix of Clear and Sprint) my phone will not connect to two Clear sites which I know were fine weeks ago. 

I've noticed in a few locations where there's a new(er) Sprint B41 site and Clear site relatively nearby that they have either powered down or lowered power on the Clear site.

I can see how in general this would make sense, however I know of at least one location where it may have looked good on paper, but in practice it has led to diminished coverage.  In the case I'm thinking of the Clear site had better line of sight to the surrounding area.  The new Sprint B41 site is blocked by tall office buildings.