Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

There is a section of new York permitting specifically for telecommunications so yes it'd publicly available.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Interesting, I'll have to look that up.

There is a section of new York permitting specifically for telecommunications so yes it'd publicly available.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I remember seeing it a long time ago but I'm having trouble finding it now.

I hope that with key people in charge of different regions of the United States that Sprints network will be leaps and bounds amazing as if they never had network issues in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hope that with key people in charge of different regions of the United States that Sprints network will be leaps and bounds amazing as if they never had network issues in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this "One Sprint" strategy enables local/area managers to run their markets in the way they deem best for their customers and provides appropriate resources as needed.

• Like 4

Sprint Planning Will Bring LTE Plus Home to You

Some really good comments from Dr. John Saw, CTO in the Article about the advantages of Sprint's 2.5GHz Spectrum and what it means for 5G. Dr. Saw had some interesting remarks about Indoor Coverage solutions for 2.5 as well:

"We have developed indoor solutions with 2.5 in them, and I don't want to talk more about what we're doing, because it's too early. It's easy to put 2.5 in a Wi-Fi hotspot ... [but] we're going to be a lot smarter than giving away free routers," he said.

Can anyone speculate what they're working on?

"2.5 is going to be the low-band, beachfront spectrum of 5G," Saw said. "Ten years ago, everybody laughed at us, but I think it's come full circle, and everybody now recognizes the value of high-band spectrum for 5G."

Damn that feels good.

• Like 13

Saw's latest comments don't disqualify Sprint from releasing a microcell in home. My guess would be something down the road where Nokia releases a microcell for Sprint home use. In the past I don't think it would be feasible but now that Nokia owns the old Alcatel-Lucent CDMA business, it's certainly possible.

Also of note, Segan pointed out Sprint's average speed on Ookla is 15 Mbps now. That's a 5 Mbps increase over where it was a year ago.

Here's more:

Head to Denver, though, where Speedtest.net showed a major jump in speeds in July 2015, and you'll find Sprint in second place, ahead of AT&T and Verizon. In Houston, Sprint's LTE speeds are ahead of T-Mobile and Verizon after a dramatic jump between August and November 2015, according to Speedtest.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Also of note, Segan pointed out Sprint's average speed on Ookla is 15 Mbps now. That's a 5 Mbps increase over where it was a year ago.

Kudos that Sascha's article was mostly informative and positive.  But, unsurprisingly, he did manage to get in a few digs at Sprint.  The funny part -- and I know that I am not necessarily a representative sample -- but I cannot get my handset NOT to camp on band 41 inside my house and around my neighborhood.  I guess I must live in a wet paper bag with gaping holes in it.

And if T-Mobile successfully had played this longterm Nextel, Clearwire, BRS/EBS 2600 MHz gambit that will pay off with a massive swath of "low band 5G" spectrum for Sprint, you know that Sascha would be practically gushing about how smart and strategic Neville and T-Mobile are.

Sascha got "swathe" [sic] wrong, by the way.  That is a verb -- to wrap.  It is not the noun -- a strip or portion.

Damn that feels good.

(NSFW)

AJ

• Like 2

I would like to also add that ookla is still taking into account uniband phones, triband phones and CA phones.

So in all reality, using a proper CA device you will see your average speeds more than double. 

But, this is indicative of the average user experience, since not all users own CA or triband devices . I do notice my colleague who happens to have a Nexus 6 average between 15-20mbs (which he is perfectly happy with) where I'm at about 25-35mbs.

• Like 1

Kudos that Sascha's article was mostly informative and positive.  But, unsurprisingly, he did manage to get in a few digs at Sprint.  The funny part -- and I know that I am not necessarily a representative sample -- but I cannot get my handset NOT to camp on band 41 inside my house and around my neighborhood.  I guess I must live in a wet paper bag with gaping holes in it. And if T-Mobile successfully had played this longterm Nextel, Clearwire, BRS/EBS 2600 MHz gambit that will pay off with a massive swath of "low band 5G" spectrum for Sprint, you know that Sascha would be practically gushing about how smart and strategic Neville and T-Mobile are. Sascha got "swathe" [sic] wrong, by the way.  That is a verb -- to wrap.  It is not the noun -- a strip or portion.  (NSFW) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1L8l3LrzLA AJ

100% correct, start to finish. Hindsight can be a real bitch, eh? Not as big of a bitch as my boss. But, still.

• Like 1

Some really good comments from Dr. John Saw, CTO in the Article about the advantages of Sprint's 2.5GHz Spectrum and what it means for 5G. Dr. Saw had some interesting remarks about Indoor Coverage solutions for 2.5 as well:

Can anyone speculate what they're working on?

Damn that feels good.

Interesting to say the least?

To smart to give away routers?

Meaning we will pay for them? Prolly not a good idea. Meaning they will attach a little mini something on my house? Offer me free internet ? Free cell service?

Hmmmmmm, I do like the thought but how many neighbors across the country would complain? Claiming 2.5 causes cancer or something else?

Maybe there is something going on with Comcast again....

Meaning we will pay for them? Prolly not a good idea. Meaning they will attach a little mini something on my house? Offer me free internet ? Free cell service?

Hmmmmmm, I do like the thought but how many neighbors across the country would complain? Claiming 2.5 causes cancer or something else?

Maybe there is something going on with Comcast again....

You might be on the right track. Maybe Sprint will offer some incentive to set up a router or femtocell of some sort to provide more robust B41 coverage for everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

And all of this "5G" talk brings into question why we even are conducting an FCC auction for 600 MHz?  What efficacy is a 5-10 MHz FDD license in a new 600 MHz LTE band?  To peel a page from Arysyn's book, that 5-10 MHz FDD is not good enough anymore, is getting worse by the day.  And I do not see 15-20 MHz FDD or greater blocks coming out of this 600 MHz auction.  I still hope that it fails spectacularly.

So, why spend, say, $10 billion on 600 MHz spectrum -- assuming that much spectrum really becomes available -- if you could use the same money to add, say, 20,000 new macro sites?  At that site density -- even in rural areas -- you probably could get similar coverage from your mid band spectrum, which could be 15-20 MHz FDD or more.  And your network capacity would multiply exponentially from users being divided among new sectors.  Hell, include many, many more much less expensive small cells in that $10 billion, and your network capacity goes through the roof.

I just do not get it.  This governmental-industrial complex over spectrum has become a fustercluck.  Is it free market or is it not?

AJ

• Like 7

And all of this "5G" talk brings into question why we even are conducting an FCC auction for 600 MHz? What efficacy is a 5-10 MHz FDD license in a new 600 MHz LTE band? To peel a page from Arysyn's book, that 5-10 MHz FDD is not good enough anymore, is getting worse by the day. And I do not see 15-20 MHz FDD or greater blocks coming out of this 600 MHz auction. I still hope that it fails spectacularly.

So, why spend, say, $10 billion on 600 MHz spectrum -- assuming that much spectrum really becomes available -- if you could use the same money to add, say, 20,000 new macro sites? At that site density -- even in rural areas -- you probably could get similar coverage from your mid band spectrum, which could be 15-20 MHz FDD or more. And your network capacity would multiply exponentially from users being divided among new sectors. Hell, include many, many more much less expensive small cells in that $10 billion, and your network capacity goes through the roof.

I just do not get it. This governmental-industrial complex over spectrum has become a fustercluck. Is it free market or is it not?

AJ

Voice?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Voice?

I am not sure what you mean by that.

If you mean 600 MHz spectrum for reliable voice service, that is irrelevant.  No "2G" or "3G" voice centric airlinks ever will be deployed in 600 MHz.  All voice will be VoIP -- because that is what VoLTE is, VoIP.

AJ

• Like 2

Sorry to interrupt but I found an interesting article on rcrwireless about the Shentel/Ntelos merger:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20160418/carriers/sprint-affiliate-shentel-talk-spectrum-network-plans-tag17

According to the article, all Ntelos spectrum will be assigned to Sprint which will then allow Shentel to deploy it on their network. They will upgrade all 857 Ntelos sites and expand the network by 150 sites. They will deploy band 26 and 25 throughout the network and band 41 in the population denser part of the coverage area.

Edited by bigsnake49

Sorry to interrupt but I found an interesting article on rcrwireless about the Shentel/Ntelos merger:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20160418/carriers/sprint-affiliate-shentel-talk-spectrum-network-plans-tag17

According to the article, all Ntelos spectrum will be assigned to Sprint which will then allow Shentel to deploy it on their network. They will upgrade all 857 Ntelos sites and expand the network by 150 sites. They will deploy band 26 and 25 throughout the network and band 41 in the population denser part of the coverage area.

That's relatively old news at this point. We've known that information since the merger was announced last year. I don't see anything new in that article. 

On that last count, no, not likely.  For almost two decades now, people have been putting Wi-Fi access points and Internet backhauled femtocells in their homes.  That is all infrared RF radiation.  No different.  People would not complain about health risks.

AJ

And all of this "5G" talk brings into question why we even are conducting an FCC auction for 600 MHz? What efficacy is a 5-10 MHz FDD license in a new 600 MHz LTE band? To peel a page from Arysyn's book, that 5-10 MHz FDD is not good enough anymore, is getting worse by the day. And I do not see 15-20 MHz FDD or greater blocks coming out of this 600 MHz auction. I still hope that it fails spectacularly.

So, why spend, say, $10 billion on 600 MHz spectrum -- assuming that much spectrum really becomes available -- if you could use the same money to add, say, 20,000 new macro sites? At that site density -- even in rural areas -- you probably could get similar coverage from your mid band spectrum, which could be 15-20 MHz FDD or more. And your network capacity would multiply exponentially from users being divided among new sectors. Hell, include many, many more much less expensive small cells in that $10 billion, and your network capacity goes through the roof.

I just do not get it. This governmental-industrial complex over spectrum has become a fustercluck. Is it free market or is it not?

AJ

I agree with you and get your point on which way to spend 10 billion. My only thought is would 10 billion in towers cost more long term with leasing and whatever goes with towers? Vs adding 600 to existing towers? I do realize there are cost with both however small cell might actually be the most cost efficient for 10 billion. Follow that up with Sprint signs on people's roof tops with built in femocells/micro cells.

• Like 1

People would not complain about health risks.

AJ

I work in the same branch of the FCC as the people who take complaints about health risks from RF devices.  (Though I don't do any of that myself, but I do hear about it in the weekly status meeting.)  And yes, they absolutely would complain about things like that.

We get complaints about cell towers.  We get complaints about cell phones.  We get complaints about smart power meters.  We even still get complaints about wifi and the like.

If it does anything with RF, we get complaints about it, despite ample evidence it does no harm and despite pretty rigid safety standards.  The more paranoid among them live in Green Bank, WV to avoid the "dangers" of RF.

- Trip

• Like 3

And all of this "5G" talk brings into question why we even are conducting an FCC auction for 600 MHz?  What efficacy is a 5-10 MHz FDD license in a new 600 MHz LTE band?  To peel a page from Arysyn's book, that 5-10 MHz FDD is not good enough anymore, is getting worse by the day.  And I do not see 15-20 MHz FDD or greater blocks coming out of this 600 MHz auction.  I still hope that it fails spectacularly.

So, why spend, say, $10 billion on 600 MHz spectrum -- assuming that much spectrum really becomes available -- if you could use the same money to add, say, 20,000 new macro sites?  At that site density -- even in rural areas -- you probably could get similar coverage from your mid band spectrum, which could be 15-20 MHz FDD or more.  And your network capacity would multiply exponentially from users being divided among new sectors.  Hell, include many, many more much less expensive small cells in that $10 billion, and your network capacity goes through the roof.

I just do not get it.  This governmental-industrial complex over spectrum has become a fustercluck.  Is it free market or is it not?

AJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1af7ilYpM

Truth is, as long as the government gets the money out of the auction, they could care less what happens afterward. By all objective measures, the Wheeler chairmanship of the FCC has been a smashing success. I'd say it's the best of my life, anyway. That said, Verizon doesn't need more low band, and they're still bidding. AT&T doesn't need more low band in 90% of the country and they're still bidding, in fact they have to bid as part of the DIRECTV acquisition. T-Mobile is closer to having low band nationally and they might be able to get it without 600 MHz if it weren't for USCC, CSpire, and a few other small regional operators using 700 MHz that are statistically insignificant.  Looking at the Spectrum Gateway 700 A map for T-Mobile, that's looking more and more like a national map, and that was without the 600 MHz auction taking place. 

Now where I live, with USCC taking their sweet time to either protect or unload 700 A, 600 MHz would be huge for T-Mobile.  Verizon and AT&T are both limited on what they can bid on in Southern Illinois given the massive spectrum hauls they have here, AT&T through ATNI and Suncom purchases, and Verizon off Cellular 1 of Southern Illinois and what they bought in the AWS auction, which is 40 MHz worth of it here IIRC.  Chicago and St. Louis, obviously, would hugely benefit from T-Mobile getting low band in 600 MHz. The areas where they already have low band? I take it T-Mobile is just loading up for extra if they can get it. 

I work in the same branch of the FCC as the people who take complaints about health risks from RF devices.  (Though I don't do any of that myself, but I do hear about it in the weekly status meeting.)  And yes, they absolutely would complain about things like that.

We get complaints about cell towers.  We get complaints about cell phones.  We get complaints about smart power meters.  We even still get complaints about wifi and the like.

If it does anything with RF, we get complaints about it, despite ample evidence it does no harm and despite pretty rigid safety standards.  The more paranoid among them live in Green Bank, WV to avoid the "dangers" of RF.

Yeah, that was my fault.  I really should have qualified the statement.  I meant average, sensible, vast majority people.  Most of us, post the year 2000, have RF radiating devices in our homes and pockets.  We have no problems, no "tinfoil hat" concerns.

And I am glad that you mention West Virginia -- because I was going to bring it up.  Those with possibly legitimate or just psychosomatic sensitivity to anthropomorphically generated RF, some do move to the National Radio Quiet Zone.

;)

AJ