WiMax is actually pretty awesome (in Atlanta)

lynyrd65

So I'm from Tulsa which never got official Wimax. Our protection site gives me speeds of 1 to 3 mbps with bursts to 5 or 6. It never penetrated indoors and would only be receivable outdoors.

I went to Atlanta for an engineering design competition. Since Atlanta is an official Wimax market I was excited to test it and man is it awesome. I got speeds of 4 to 8 mbps deep indoors (the hotel) and 10 to 15 mbps near the window! Now that is cool!

Will post speed test screenies soon.

42576d9d-2f7b-858e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I lived in an official market as well the last 2 years (Cleveland) and didn't know what everyone was complaining about. We ended up using it for office internet as well DSL was maxed out at 1.5mbs and TWC wanted 8 grand and a 2 year contract at 200 a month for cable internet. We got 15-20 down 2 up for 35 bucks a month no contract from clear to go along with the evo 4g for everyone in the office. :o

• Like 2

Glad to hear other markets are better than Boston, New York City, Orange County (the three markets I frequent).

All three markets the service only worked outdoors and performance was highly variable.

I will be the first to admit it was NICE at airports though! 3G at airports is always way overloaded.

Nice speeds. Its not so great here in the Sacramento area. I've seen speeds of around 6megs, but thats usually early morning, around 5am. But haven't seem them lately. I get around 1.5-2 down now

I typically get 9-10Mbps stationary at the Santa Fe WiMax Protection Site, and 6-7Mbps at the same location moving 65 mph.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I live in a "Well Covered" wimax area (Minneapolis Market) I use to get max speeds 10 megabits all the time. As of late it's been more like 5-8 range which is still decent. However wimax is completely useless when driving down the road or moving. We did use it when our worked moved to a new office for about a week till we could get a DSL line in. We had good coverage and had an evo running the entire office it held up rather nice. The trick is not moving. I have a 15 min drive home from work to the home and wimax cuts in and out the entire trip home it's a complete joke. The only reason it's somewhat usable for me is I have my phone wimax reconnect time to 15 seconds instead of the default 5 min. So the signal dumps, it will reconnect by itself. Sure I can get it to stream Rhaposody while driving at 65MPH only to quick follow by a signal dump. Ask any regular (non poweruser) that has a wimax device. Everyone that I know never uses it, cause it's crap. I do get wimax coverage at work and home but have real broadband so always using wi-fi. I will use wimax to stream rhapsody sometimes but when it's cutting in and out between tracks so does the music. I hope LTE isn't like this. Yes I do use wimax cause when the 3G network is overloaded, it's nice to have but the signal dumping non-stop while driving is so annoying.

Edited by Sim-X

I live in a "Well Covered" wimax area (Minneapolis Market) I use to get max speeds 10 megabits all the time. As of late it's been more like 5-8 range which is still decent. However wimax is completely useless when driving down the road or moving. We did use it when our worked moved to a new office for about a week till we could get a DSL line in. We had good coverage and had an evo running the entire office it held up rather nice. The trick is not moving. I have a 15 min drive home from work to the home and wimax cuts in and out the entire trip home it's a complete joke. The only reason it's somewhat usable for me is I have my phone wimax reconnect time to 15 seconds instead of the default 5 min. So the signal dumps, it will reconnect by itself. Sure I can get it to stream Rhaposody while driving at 65MPH only to quick follow by a signal dump. Ask any regular (non poweruser) that has a wimax device. Everyone that I know never uses it, cause it's crap. I do get wimax coverage at work and home but have real broadband so always using wi-fi. I will use wimax to stream rhapsody sometimes but when it's cutting in and out between tracks so does the music. I hope LTE isn't like this. Yes I do use wimax cause when the 3G network is overloaded, it's nice to have but the signal dumping non-stop while driving is so annoying.

The problem with WiMax and moving more is a handoff issue and the spotty coverage caused by 2600MHz propagation, constantly going in and out of coverage. Sprint's LTE network will be superior at LTE to LTE handoffs and will have much more solid coverage after each market is completed. The difference will be night and day.

Robert

• Like 1

Off on a tangent...

I saw Sim-X's small avatar and thought that we might actually have a woman who had joined us in the forums. But then I saw the larger version and realized, "Oh, it's just Megan Fox."

That piqued my interest. So, I followed up with a bit of research into our Member List. Out of nearly 1000 members, we have only 32 declared female members. They account for a whopping 41 posts in the forums, and none of them are S4GRU sponsors.

Guys, sorry to say it, but the stats do not lie -- the ladies just do not like us.

AJ

• Like 1

Off on a tangent...

I saw Sim-X's small avatar and thought that we might actually have a woman who had joined us in the forums. But then I saw the larger version and realized, "Oh, it's just Megan Fox."

That piqued my interest. So, I followed up with a bit of research into our Member List. Out of nearly 1000 members, we have only 32 declared female members. They account for a whopping 41 posts in the forums, and none of them are S4GRU sponsors.

Guys, sorry to say it, but the stats do not lie -- the ladies just do not like us.

http://www.hulu.com/...e-tenth-reunion

AJ

That's great. Lovitz is a natural there...

The wife walked by when I was reading that post and acted like she was jealous that I was talking to some girl on the forums here. I said "it's probably a dude with a girl's picture" LOL

Off on a tangent...

AJ

41? That's two tenths of one percent of all posts! :lol:

So, only 99.8% of all posts are by men...

Robert

Wow, I guess that means that men are more of tech junkies than women are. At least on this site.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

The problem with WiMax and moving more is a handoff issue and the spotty coverage caused by 2600MHz propagation, constantly going in and out of coverage. Sprint's LTE network will be superior at LTE to LTE handoffs and will have much more solid coverage after each market is completed. The difference will be night and day.

Robert

I sure hope so, like I said wimax works fine if you stand still but driving it's just awful. The only reason I use it now while driving is because I set the reconnect time to 15 seconds on my 3D so when it does dump it connects right back up. I do use it to stream HQ Rhapsody streams which wimax is fine for if it actually stays connected. If the signal dumps during changing tracks it's all over. Can't wait to try LTE. So will wimax as it stand right now even hand off an activte data session?

Off on a tangent...

AJ

lol, that's a pretty small percentage. Out of the 32 members, some may have even clicked the box in error or didn't pay attention.

• Like 1

The wife walked by when I was reading that post and acted like she was jealous that I was talking to some girl on the forums here.

Just tell the wife, "Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day."

AJ

Here in the city it is fine as long as you are sitting in one place. When it's warmer outside, I eat lunch outside in the courtyard or in the park nearby with my girl, and it's great having the high speed network for Youtube, etc.

That being said, having full 4G service at home is awesome, 7-10mbps to supplement my 25/25mbps from Verizon Fios!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

...if only Clear had done a decent job in Denver. Indoor coverage is practically nonexistent, and outdoor coverage is spotty. The network seems to work well when you can get service, but it's so incredibly hit-or-miss that the WiMAX radio on my Epic stays off 99.9% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found at Jaguar football games in Jacksonville with over 60K+ at the stadium ( no cracks please) that having my WIMAX found is a huge advantage.. I get great response with 4 Bars... The 3G doesn't work very well due to too many devices esp IPHONES that only use 3G...

One other thing that is available in club areas is free WIFI..

I hope the LTE will be on by football season..

• Like 1

I have found at Jaguar football games in Jacksonville with over 60K+ at the stadium ( no cracks please) that having my WIMAX found is a huge advantage.. I get great response with 4 Bars... The 3G doesn't work very well due to too many devices esp IPHONES that only use 3G...

One other thing that is available in club areas is free WIFI..

I hope the LTE will be on by football season..

I find that I appreciate WiMax in event situations. Where the 3G just crumbles to single digits in kilobits per second. Sporting events, festivals, concerts, etc. Even though the WiMax takes a hit too, it usually is far faster than 3G is during those peak times. The last concert I went to, 3G was 6kbps, but WiMax was around 900kbps...which was usable.

Robert

I find that I appreciate WiMax in event situations. Where the 3G just crumbles to single digits in kilobits per second. Sporting events, festivals, concerts, etc. Even though the WiMax takes a hit too, it usually is far faster than 3G is during those peak times. The last concert I went to, 3G was 6kbps, but WiMax was around 900kbps...which was usable.

Robert

Wish I could say the same. At the NC state fair in Raleigh a year or two ago, Sprint's network was SO ridiculously overloaded that it was impossible to send a text or call anyone, and forget trying to go online and do anything. I though switching to Wimax would be a good idea, since it was outdoors and I figured I would have decent coverage. Nope, same deal. I couldn't do anything. I was pretty pissed about that whole situation.

I get decent wimax coverage in Cary in some places, but forget driving anywhere. I'm a delivery driver for my job and I stream music all the time while I'm driving, and I can't use wimax because it drops connection so often. Can't go more than a mile down the road without it dropping. The only place I use it anymore is when I'm at the gym. For some freak reason, even though I have almost no 3G service, I get full 4G when I'm inside the gym and it's even in a shopping complex that sits in a bowl basically, below the ground level of it's surroundings.

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear other markets are better than Boston, New York City, Orange County (the three markets I frequent).

All three markets the service only worked outdoors and performance was highly variable.

I will be the first to admit it was NICE at airports though! 3G at airports is always way overloaded.

In New York I always get excellent speed son WiMax