WiMax is actually pretty awesome (in Atlanta)

lynyrd65

At the Sprint store at Gateway in Austin yesterday I hit 12/1.5 on WiMAX. If only I could've gotten speeds like that everywhere lol

Yeah, me too. WiMax in my area of Visalia tops at 1.5/.4 lately. On the east side of town it gets up to 6-7 down on a good evening.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I would be curious to hear how WiMax backhaul compares to NV backhaul and whether wimax capacity issues are an issue of overloaded data carriers (spectrum issue) or backhaul limitations.

I would be curious to hear how WiMax backhaul compares to NV backhaul and whether wimax capacity issues are an issue of overloaded data carriers (spectrum issue) or backhaul limitations.

Clearwire's WiMax network has many sites that have overburdened carriers and overburdened backhaul. Some WiMax sites only have 20Mbps and some protection sites have less than 10Mbps.

Clearwire stopped carrier upgrades and backhaul upgrades last year on the WiMax network. There are some very targeted upgrades, but so few now it is hardly worth discussing. WiMax network is largely in decline until there are enough WiMax users leave for LTE that it comes back to life for a little while before it gets retired

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Got this on WiMAX relaxing at the beach in Rockport, TX:

233520761.png

As long as I can consistently get similar speeds from LTE and it stays unlimited I'll be happy.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

We get very good WiMAX coverage here on the KS side of the KC area. On my first EVO and the 3D ingot very consistent coverage at home, and work and in-between. Average download was between 6 and 12, of course upload hovered around 1Mbps. We actually switched to Clear for our home Internet because it was faster and cheaper than the service we had (AT&T). During the day average download is around 5 or 6, but after about 10pm, when I'm online the most it jumps up to 10-13Mbps, pretty respectable I think.

Now if only I had held on to the 3D a little longer, miss those speeds on my phone, still waiting for LTE around my house. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

I think WiMax is awesome, but I'm really lucky. I can see the tower from my window here in Brooklyn, and usually get 10-15mbits in my room, though it drops down to 6-8 during peak times. That's still twice as fast as the crappy DSL we have at home, so I'm ridiculously happy.

I just can't believe some of you that have already have good wimax upgraded to an LTE device. I would have figured out a way to get the best WiMax phone possible (Photon/Evo 3D/E4GT) and stuck with it until LTE arrived. It seems that in official markets performance will still be better until Sprint reaches 50%+ completion.

Heck, I don't even have official wimax but I'm still holding off on upgrading.