Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I wonder when they will begin the ability to Roam?     

I just rejoined Sprint after a 3 months with a lower tier carrier.... bought a new Samsung S9+.     First time I experienced HD Voice on Sprint and also turned on VoLTE (it's on the phone settings, and says "Beta").    It works in my area and actually is pretty good!   Sorry to say even with a HPUE device, I can no longer pick up B41 at home in Summer.   (Tree foliage?)

4 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Nope still roaming on Verizon when I lose service which isn't often.

Another failure of execution I guess. Anyone who thinks sprint can survive as an independent company should look to it track record. 

Sprint can continue as an independent company however the U.S cellular market as a whole will languish. All 4 carriers will stay within their current place and that'll be how it stays indefinitely barring some radical change like a merger, a new entrant into the market, or the FCC causing a shakeup and splitting up the carriers which is obviously the least likely solution. 

46 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Another failure of execution I guess. Anyone who thinks sprint can survive as an independent company should look to it track record. 

We don't know the reason behind it so you can't just blame Sprint. For all we know it could be T-Mobile as well.

2 hours ago, JThorson said:

We don't know the reason behind it so you can't just blame Sprint. For all we know it could be T-Mobile as well.

It doesnt matter who's fault it is, sprint, more specifically Marcelo, made a commitment and failed to delivery onve again. 

• Like 3

It doesnt matter who's fault it is, sprint, more specifically Marcelo, made a commitment and failed to delivery onve again. 
Exactly. There has been too many failed deliveries that company's CEOs have made. It's permanently messed up Sprint's Public Image. For me honestly when it comes to any cell phone carrier saying anything that work related I don't believe it until it's done right in front of my face and I see the results. When that happens then I believe them.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

On 7/4/2018 at 11:22 AM, RedSpark said:

I disagree.

600 MHz would have enabled Sprint to have a more efficient build and cover wider swaths of land including rural areas than a 2.5 GHz deployment provides, and in the short term, that could really help.

We kept hearing from Sprint that 2.5 GHz was more cost efficient to deploy than Millimeter Wave. That’s true... However, the real truth/dirt came out in the FCC Filing and Congressional Hearing that Sprint couldn’t actually achieve an economically viable nationwide build on its 2.5 GHz and that combining with T-Mobile for its 600 MHz was essential.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile is deploying 600 MHz across the country at tremendous speed.

Of course we were told by the CFO of Sprint at the time (https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-cfo-robbiati-600-mhz-spectrum-past)

“Why invest in 600 MHz spectrum if that spectrum doesn’t really cater for the future, and also it’s spectrum you cannot deploy for four years?” Robbiati asked rhetorically.

Sigh...

What's stopping Sprint from adding B26 to no coverage areas and rural areas? Yes it is only 5x5, however that is still better than no service. 

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

What's stopping Sprint from adding B26 to no coverage areas and rural areas? Yes it is only 5x5, however that is still better than no service. 

For some reason, they don't.

They are like the DSL companies, making the speeds faster in the cities while not expanding coverage for the rest.

9 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

It's called return on investment (ROI). For a cash strapped carrier like Sprint, it matters.

• Like 2

It's called return on investment (ROI). For a cash strapped carrier like Sprint, it matters.
Need to spend money to make money. No one is going to switch to them if they know they are going to leave the network behind when they go on vacation and will have no service, like I did when I went to South Dakota and was tied to a att hotspot the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Need to spend money to make money. No one is going to switch to them if they know they are going to leave the network behind when they go on vacation and will have no service, like I did when I went to South Dakota and was tied to a att hotspot the whole time.

I agree with you but Sprint needs to prioritize. How come you were not roaming on somebody?

I agree with you but Sprint needs to prioritize. How come you were not roaming on somebody?

Roaming? Is this 2005? No one likes Roaming.

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Hey, you're a Sprint customer, you should be used to it by now ;). Hell I will be satisfied, at least temporarily, if they cover what they cover well with no holes and with consistent signal. Implement all three bands on all their sites. Maybe even cover interstates?

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Do you know who TMobile roams on in that state?

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Every carrier has domestic roaming.  Even AT&T and VZW, which have a decent amount themselves.  As long as it is counted as native, it doesn't matter.  

Every carrier has domestic roaming.  Even AT&T and VZW, which have a decent amount themselves.  As long as it is counted as native, it doesn't matter.  
I'm talking about off network Roaming. Limits.

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

No one cause they cover it now

No they don't. Check their map. AT&T maybe?

TMobile still has off-network working.  In some cases too cheap so provide no service instead. ?

Edited by red_dog007

No they don't. Check their map. AT&T maybe?
They have a store in rapid City SD. It's known they expand into the Dakota's.

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

They have a store in rapid City SD. It's known they expand into the Dakota's.

Dude, yes they have native service. BUT it does not cover the entire state.  So they still have off-network roaming. ? Just wondering if you knew who that carrier was...

Edited by red_dog007

Dude, yes they have native service. BUT it does not cover the entire state.  So they still have off-network roaming. [emoji53] Just wondering if you knew who that carrier was...
Yeah I just checked the Dakota's coverage still isn't as good as vzw or att. I'm guessing Wyoming and Montana isn't any better. Guess matching vzw on sqaure miles hasn't happened. Yet away. That's unfortunate.

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

Yeah I just checked the Dakota's coverage still isn't as good as vzw or att. I'm guessing Wyoming and Montana isn't any better. Guess matching vzw on sqaure miles hasn't happened. Yet away. That's unfortunate.

I have been advocating setting that as a condition for the merger, within 3 or 4 years, although it will probably be sooner since they can clear rural 600 Mhz easier than in the big cities.

15 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

A combination of limited funds available (also due to essentially no capital assistance coming from SoftBank) and rebanding delays in certain affected areas.

A combination of limited funds available (also due to essentially no capital assistance coming from SoftBank) and rebanding delays in certain affected areas.
I know they can't help the rebanding part that they could use B25. Sprint network while it works just fine where I live and work it's not so good when I travel outside the metro

4 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Anyways I feel that Sprint should have avoided that merger back in 2005 with Nextel. They would not be in this situation today. If the merger does fall through who knows if it will or will not Sprint's going to be in some serious trouble. obviously they need to make money to expand and upgrade the network but I'm looking to see what will happen in the next year.