Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

There's a lot of colors here, but the teal and purple sites are expansion. Currently we have 50 tracked, with at least 17 more permitted. Based on the latest coverage map update, I believe I need to add a few more expansion sites.

We've also had 121 Sprint conversions (yellow/orange), with over a dozen still permitted (green), though we're not sure if those will come to fruition.

pR2eyfT.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

There's a lot of colors here, but the teal and purple sites are expansion. Currently we have 50 tracked, with at least 17 more permitted. Based on the latest coverage map update, I believe I need to add a few more expansion sites.

We've also had 121 Sprint conversions, with over a dozen still permitted, though we're not sure if those will come to fruition.

pR2eyfT.png

Damn, that is super impressive!

21 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

We've also had 121 Sprint conversions, with over a dozen still permitted, though we're not sure if those will come to fruition.

pR2eyfT.png

Here are the new sites in the Toledo area from the last few years. All of these are Sprint conversions, and they still have a few more Sprint sites to convert IMG_0487.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, cooltech6597 said:

Here are the new sites in the Toledo area from the last few years. All of these are Sprint conversions, and they still have a few more Sprint sites to convert

That's a decent number of new sites. Nebraska is likely the oddest market in the country, as T-Mobile didn't exist here until a few years ago. Until last summer, their footprint didn't really extend much out of Omaha, Sprint had a much larger footprint. But I'd like to think that their aggressive expansion here is a signal that they intend to follow through on their rural expansion plans. Given the number of American Tower sites that we know they are targeting across NE, KS, MO, IA, AR and IL, it does seem that they have an expansion plan ready to go. Unfortunately we haven't done any digging for the OH area so I don't have any details there for you.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

That's a decent number of new sites. Nebraska is likely the oddest market in the country, as T-Mobile didn't exist here until a few years ago. Until last summer, their footprint didn't really extend much out of Omaha, Sprint had a much larger footprint. But I'd like to think that their aggressive expansion here is a signal that they intend to follow through on their rural expansion plans. Given the number of American Tower sites that we know they are targeting across NE, KS, MO, IA, AR and IL, it does seem that they have an expansion plan ready to go. Unfortunately we haven't done any digging for the OH area so I don't have any details there for you.

Where do you get new tower plans for American Tower? Do they show on the American Tower Site Locator map? 

Also, here’s a map of permits across Northwest Ohio (Lucas County) if anyone’s interested 😁

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/edit?mid=1-qgOcMVOnqW4b9-HhUDc7AGxbRLqn48&usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/7/2023 at 4:44 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

pR2eyfT.png

Can you send me a link to this map?

Happened to come across a new T-Mobile colocation in Dafter, Michigan (upper peninsula). Seems to not have n41 installed according to this American Tower site brochure photo, and looking at the filename it seems to have been installed sometime around September 2021. It also appears T-mobile is using either AT&T or Peninsula Fiber Networks for backhaul (AT&T is on this site as well, so it would make sense AT&T is using their own fiber, and T-Mobile is using Peninsula Fiber Networks). Might go through some other areas in the upper peninsula on the American Tower site locator to see if there are any more T-mobile new colocations. These rural builds are very exciting!

IMG_0516.png 

IMG_0517.png 

IMG_0518.png 

IMG_0519.png 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cooltech6597 said:

Happened to come across a new T-Mobile colocation in Dafter, Michigan (upper peninsula). Seems to not have n41 installed according to this American Tower site brochure photo, and looking at the filename it seems to have been installed sometime around September 2021. It also appears T-mobile is using either AT&T or Peninsula Fiber Networks for backhaul (AT&T is on this site as well, so it would make sense AT&T is using their own fiber, and T-Mobile is using Peninsula Fiber Networks). Might go through some other areas in the upper peninsula on the American Tower site locator to see if there are any more T-mobile new colocations. These rural builds are very exciting! 

GCI is 063865 so it follows the pattern. May have been installed for a while but was definitely activated recently given that GCI. (Change the enb settings to Hex on Cellmapper, it makes it a little easier to follow).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

GCI is 063865 so it follows the pattern. May have been installed for a while but was definitely activated recently given that GCI. (Change the enb settings to Hex on Cellmapper, it makes it a little easier to follow).

Wouldn't that be just the same as looking at the eNB? (since its just a base 10 to hex translation) 

In most of the midwest the first few numbers of an eNB are based on when the site was assigned an eNB to my observation... from earliest to latest it goes: 2xxxx, 3xxxx, 10xxxx, 11-12xxxx, 505xxx (eventually replaced by 384 and 405/407), 384xxx, 405xxx, 407xxx. Generally newer sites are mostly 384, 405, and 407 now however there are still some 12xxxx sites popping up. 

14 minutes ago, cooltech6597 said:

Wouldn't that be just the same as looking at the eNB? (since its just a base 10 to hex translation) 

Pattern is just easier to see for me in the hex values, as that's the way we have always tracked sites, through their HEX GCI. Never saw them in DEC format until Cellmapper came around.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

https://tmo.report/2023/02/t-mobile-ending-a-popular-sprint-benefit-exactly-3-years-after-the-merger/

The Amazon Prime benefit is ending for Legacy Sprint Customers…. Right at the three year mark Legere “made promises on”.

Oh well… It’s apparently being replaced by another benefit. We’ll see what it winds up being.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Looking at new phone number blocks coming to carriers, T-Mobile will receive 308-206 for Kearney, Nebraska. I believe they also inherited some numbers from Sprint in that area. They did decomission the multitude of numbers Sprint had reserved in Minden, NE. That was a weird one.

I am only aware of 2 sites (really 1) in Kearney and 2 in Grand Island. Based on size, Kearney could benefit from another 2-3, as well as GI.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NE5G said:

I am only aware of 2 sites (really 1) in Kearney and 2 in Grand Island. Based on size, Kearney could benefit from another 2-3, as well as GI.

Yeah 2 Sprint conversions. One barely in Kearney on the south side along I-80. The other a few blocks north just south of Hwy 30. It does seem like they could use at least another site. For the northwest side of town.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cooltech6597 said:

Been finding a ton more planned T-Mobile colocations on American Tower sites. I plotted the ones I have found so far on this map https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/edit?mid=1j1yez8HvoZDWCt9AIhYkfdM1V7ddtGg&usp=sharing

Goes nicely with the data that @Rickie546 has managed to dig up out this way.

bCCMm7N.png

• Like 3