Google Pixel 3a / 3a XL Thread

lilotimz

now these are the nexus / pixel prices that i remember and love.  So...how bad do these suck compared to the regular pixel 3?  What did they do to get the price so low?  Seems like the only difference is the processor but will anyone really notice in day to day use?  Right now I have an essential phone.

now these are the nexus / pixel prices that i remember and love.  So...how bad do these suck compared to the regular pixel 3?  What did they do to get the price so low?  Seems like the only difference is the processor but will anyone really notice in day to day use?  Right now I have an essential phone.
It's performance is somewhere inbetween a pixel 1 and 2. GPU seems to be lower performing.

If anything though I doubt it's RF will be ever as terrible as Eph1's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

You can't pluralize words by adding apostrophes. It's shocking how often this happens on these forums. This is grade school stuff, guys. Come on. Do better.

And don't get me started on "overquoting" for "emphasis"...

And those trailing triple dots...

YEARGH!!!

:dead:

• Like 1

I scooped up a 3a XL Unlocked variant from BBY (but I'm on AT&T now).  Feel free to ask any questions. 

Currently using it as a secondary phone to switch to off and on, but honestly I haven't experienced any stutters or slowdowns so far.  Might just sell my other devices to make some money off of this and wait and see what comes this fall from Google and Apple.

• 2 months later...
Is the Pixel 3A capable of band locking?

I haven't been to google since I had a nexus 5. I am a dialer code kind of person so if it can how do I get there simply? Do I need root and other dark sorcery?

Thank you.
You need root and need to use a Magisk module to enable the Diag port https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/guide-qxdm-port-activation-pixel-2-xl-t3884967

I don't believe you need the custom Magisk binary, just the module. It will allow band locking with the free version of Network Signal Guru.

Be aware that on the Pixel 3, several of us have had USB connectivity start getting flakey over a few months and eventually stop working all together until the module was disabled. No idea why it gradually happens. But you can disable the module and reboot to get USB data connectivity back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ingenium said:

You need root and need to use a Magisk module to enable the Diag port https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/guide-qxdm-port-activation-pixel-2-xl-t3884967

I don't believe you need the custom Magisk binary, just the module. It will allow band locking with the free version of Network Signal Guru.

Be aware that on the Pixel 3, several of us have had USB connectivity start getting flakey over a few months and eventually stop working all together until the module was disabled. No idea why it gradually happens. But you can disable the module and reboot to get USB data connectivity back.

Super nice. Thank you for all of this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Sprint 3a at BB last week ($100 off for the upgrade from my HTC U11!). I am noticing in SCPro that it drops to 1x whenever I'm on WiFi and/or WiFi calling. I wouldn't complain, except that it sometimes seems hesitant to reconnect to LTE afterwards. I Googled this, and it seems to be a problem despite carrier. Anyone here notice this? Any ideas/suggestions for a fix?

TIA!

Just got my Sprint 3a at BB last week ($100 off for the upgrade from my HTC U11!). I am noticing in SCPro that it drops to 1x whenever I'm on WiFi and/or WiFi calling. I wouldn't complain, except that it sometimes seems hesitant to reconnect to LTE afterwards. I Googled this, and it seems to be a problem despite carrier. Anyone here notice this? Any ideas/suggestions for a fix?
TIA!
Turn on developer mode (Google instructions) and enable the option "mobile data always active". That should fix it. 93d61f49a3a0b58f9da8bdecac9a343d.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't change it. I'm beginning to think it's intentional, possible a battery saving strategy?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I don't think so. This would break Vowifi -> VoLTE handoffs. I don't experience this on my 3, nor do other people.

It could be that LTE is too weak at your location and not stable? I say that based on how low the signal bars are for you while one 1x.

17 hours ago, davidtm said:

Got Android 10 this afternoon. So nice to not have to wait on Sprint for a major update! 😁

Essential phone received the same android update at about the same time yesterday.  Funny enough, there has been a time or two in the last year that essential beat even googles update for the various monthly security updates.

• 3 months later...

I got an unlocked 3a and was able to easily activate the eSIM after upgrading to Android 10 (out of the box, it needed a QR code for the eSIM). VoLTE, Wifi Calling, and 3xCA weren't activated by default, so I had to enable those manually.

For VoLTE, it was under Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Network>VoLTE

For WiFI Calling, it was under Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Network>Advanced>Wi-Fi calling

For 3xCA, I had to dial *#*#3282#*#*, go to LTE, choose "Edit", enter 000000 as my MSL (presumably it's always 000000 on unlocked phones), and change "CA Enabled" to "On".

• 1 month later...
[mention=21091]ingenium[/mention] posted that the Pixel 4 is capable of these CA combos in the Pixel 4 thread. Can someone please confirm if these are also available on the 3a and 3a XL? I need to get a new phone for my Dad. Thanks
GE57fae.jpg
The 3a uses the Qualcomm X12 modem. The 3 uses the X16 modem. The X12 supports fewer MIMO streams and fewer aggregated carriers (3xCA vs 4xCA I believe). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Snapdragon_LTE_modem

Both are officially listed as capable of 2xCA UL if the RF front end is in place, but it doesn't say which bands. So it could be something like B7+7 only and not B41. I know with certainty that the 3 does not do B41 UL CA on Sprint. And right now that is the only UL CA combination possible, and likely will be the case for the foreseeable future.

I'd say it's fairly unlikely that the 3a can do UL CA, since it's a cheaper device with a lower end modem. Unfortunately no one is going to be able to confirm unless they have the paid version of NSG, and I only know of one other person on here with it, and he doesn't have a 3a. The engineering screens on Pixels don't work for CA. Your only other hope is to look at the FCC filing and see if it says it there.

If you absolutely must have UL CA, go with a Pixel 4 or a current generation Samsung device.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1