Calling Plus (VoLTE "Lite")

I actually was able to hear a calling plus call. My friend and I was out and he called our other friend who has an S8 and the call sounded good. Then the person with the S8 started to break up really bad. Is it possible that Sprint can route those calls as top priority on the network when one is made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually was able to hear a calling plus call. My friend and I was out and he called our other friend who has an S8 and the call sounded good. Then the person with the S8 started to break up really bad. Is it possible that Sprint can route those calls as top priority on the network when one is made?

That SHOULD have already been thought of and set up. If it was not, then somebody looks bad.

That SHOULD have already been thought of and set up. If it was not, then somebody looks bad.

From what was posted before, Sprint does not prioritize voice traffic, at least not yet.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yes, the somebody who looks bad is you -- for seemingly not knowing that voice QoS would mean implementing VoLTE.

Calling Plus is NOT VoLTE.

AJ

• Like 1

From what was posted before, Sprint does not prioritize voice traffic, at least not yet.

That's what I heard as well but it was around both the LG and Samsung phones were the only ones that was able to so calling plus. Hopefully when they activate the iPhones to do this that they prioritize the voice traffic. Either way it's a great start regardless. The kinks are more in likely still being worked out.

I am not sure if they are or are not prioritizing voice traffic, but voice will work poorly unless the data channel is not congested and running totally smooth. Any burp in the data destroys VOIP.  Running VOIP over a congested 5x5 band 26 channel with no voice prioritization will be  a disaster. This is true if it is VOIP or something just similar to VOIP.   When a data stream stutters, voice stutters unless it is buffered somewhere and gets some correction. 

My Directv Now Video streaming will buffer.  Suddenly it backs up about 3 seconds and repeats the programming that was messed up.   With voice, backing up and repeating the last 3 seconds of a voice call might not be so good.  It has to be almost flawless the first time.

People, this should not be a question.  Read the first post of this thread.  Calling Plus does not receive network prioritization. That has been stated from the beginning of this opt in soft launch.

AJ

• Like 4

There is no doubt that much work remains for VoLTE. For those who are desperate for data access with voice beyond Wi-Fi, Sprint has done a favor by releasing Calling Plus. This gives Sprint data to improve the network for VoLTE.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I just did a quick call on my new S8+ with my wife and I was impressed. It didn't seem like there was any additional delay over 1x, and the call was clear. She was on an S7 connected to the cellular network (not wifi calling). I do have good LTE coverage at my house, so I'll have to try it when in some weaker areas to see how it works.

Note: I'm posting this from my S7 edge because I don't have Tapatalk set up yet on my S8+.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has Sprint announced they are updating certain older phones to support this or just speculation?  Seems common that anytime an update comes through in the devices forum someone says "no calling plus yet.  Maybe next one" like the S7 for example.

On 8/22/2017 at 0:11 PM, Galaxyguy said:

I just did a quick call on my new S8+ with my wife and I was impressed. It didn't seem like there was any additional delay over 1x, and the call was clear. She was on an S7 connected to the cellular network (not wifi calling). I do have good LTE coverage at my house, so I'll have to try it when in some weaker areas to see how it works.

Note: I'm posting this from my S7 edge because I don't have Tapatalk set up yet on my S8+.

where i live in new jersey cdma coverage is better then lte most parts of the state...so lte calling wouldnt be usable....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xdfgf said:

At a heavily congested intersection the other day I could not make a call on CDMA but went through with no problem on calling plus. Pretty cool

it helps i guess relieve congestion....what band where you on when you made the call?

1 hour ago, burnout8488 said:

In a few days we'll know if Sprint plans on using Calling Plus for LTE calling on the new Apple Watch Series 3. If not, it might be the first VoLTE device rolled out en masse on the network, since it lacks CDMA entirely. 

It does VOIP.