Calling Plus (VoLTE "Lite")

It's hard to find non-LTE areas where I live, will do some additional testing tomorrow on my commute home. LTE site density in NYC is not conducive for that type of testing :)

#firstworldproblems

I feel your "pain," though. 3G is largely extinct here in the A as well.

• Like 2

#firstworldproblems

I feel your "pain," though. 3G is largely extinct here in the A as well.

Yep, and I did confirm that it is a hard drop once you leave LTE coverage, had to start a call and walk into an elevator. 

• Like 7

Yep, and I did confirm that it is a hard drop once you leave LTE coverage, had to start a call and walk into an elevator.

Any call lag due to congestion or latency? This was always a problem for me when using Sprint's Wi-Fi calling.

Is all of Sprint's equipment current to even support VoLTE?  Can VoLTE be ran on B26?  Wondering if equipment is the limitation as to why they are doing VoIP on LTE, and not just going to VoLTE to begin with.  Some equipment not able to hit the Release vs for VoLTE?

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

Is all of Sprint's equipment current to even support VoLTE? Can VoLTE be ran on B26? Wondering if equipment is the limitation as to why they are doing VoIP on LTE, and not just going to VoLTE to begin with. Some equipment not able to hit the Release vs for VoLTE?

It's quite perplexing, but I'm sure Sprint has its reasons. Maybe it has something to do with the old Wifi set up still being available

Any call lag due to congestion or latency? This was always a problem for me when using Sprint's Wi-Fi calling.

When I was getting close to the edge of WIFI with no LTE in sight, the call lagged out and then dropped.

After following this thread I purchased a Galaxy J7 Perx.....now mind you I live near the Jersey Shore and there's a cell tower on top of a water tower near me roughly less than a mile to my north. 

Right off the bat the phone did the update for "Calling Plus"...okay. That took 10 minutes.

My first call to my brother(another Sprint customer) was alright, but couldn't access any data.....this is where the MSL code comes in handy! 

Went into the ##DATA# debug and changed the Band priorities(25 was 1st, set that to 4th and put 26, 41, & 12 ahead of it). Second, in the Carrier aggregation settings I turned all of them on....this reset the phone. 

I then tried calling voicemail and checking out some simple websites and it crystal clear and no drops at all. I'll test it out more tomorrow as I'll be going further inland. 

• Like 11

It would be nice to know a time line for when Sprint will start to roll this out to more popular phones. I would love to try it and see how it works.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It would be nice to know a time line for when Sprint will start to roll this out to more popular phones. I would love to try it and see how it works.

I would hope that they push Android BYOD manufacturers to add native support instead of just letting Apple users have all the fun.
  • Like 2

So I was down in Galloway, NJ today(off of Garden State Parkway Exit 41) and was on Band 26 all day; data worked fine, but when making phone calls(calling my job as there was an issue) it kept having some weird delay/echo before finally dropping the call.

Afterward, the phone was saying "Searching for Service" with the Calling Plus icon gone, HOWEVER the LTE signal was decent and still pulling in data. 

Tomorrow I shall be out out in the Delran/Willingboro area so we'll see what happens out there. 

• Like 4

Every time I've made calls while looking up data it's always on Band 26....it works well. I'd prefer that over the overcrowded Band 25 and the short-ranged Band 41.

Usually, it's the low band LTE carrier that is overloaded for all carriers. Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 1

Usually, it's the low band LTE carrier that is overloaded for all carriers.

A carrier is overloaded for all carriers???

This is why we say operator or provider, not carrier.

AJ

• Like 1

The low band is only overloaded when it is improperly being used for capacity rather than coverage. This is especially absurd when the provider has more than enough spectrum in the high band and can drop a cheap mini macro in the spots where low band is taking a beating. Too bad all the mini macro equipment is going on already over spaced macro sites rather than filling in the numerous trouble spots in my market.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Any updates from those who are using this? I'm most curious how the service holds up while the user is moving (driving) and hopping from tower to tower, not just sitting in one place while using it. 

• Like 1

So I've updated my iPhone 6s+ to the iOS 11 beta #2 and I am now able to handoff from wifi calling to the LTE network. When the call transfers to LTE, the quality of the call gets better and the slight delay/lag that I experience on wifi calling diminishes. Also to add, when I am still on the call that transferred from wifi calling, I continue to receive other calls over LTE until I hang up. Once I hang up, the Sprint carrier name disappears and then comes back shortly. I also am able to add up to 5 people on a conference call. Call quality is great over LTE so far but I only experience it when I handoff from wifi calling.

Screenshots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzwLtz1BiFjxekMyLVRUYzk5Q28

• Like 6

Interesting. I wonder why they allow it to transfer to LTE, but not start a call on LTE. I read the same thing on another site earlier. Just not sure why Sprint and Apple chose to do it that way for now.

• Like 1

Interesting. I wonder why they allow it to transfer to LTE, but not start a call on LTE. I read the same thing on another site earlier. Just not sure why Sprint and Apple chose to do it that way for now.

Still in beta. I’m sure the implementation will be more complete by the time iOS 11 officially launches.

Still in beta. I’m sure the implementation will be more complete by the time iOS 11 officially launches.

I'm sure you're correct, I'm just curious why they did the initial testing this way. I would think it would be pretty rare for users to ever leave wifi while connected to wifi calling. It's going to be a small test group to test calling plus.

I'm sure you're correct, I'm just curious why they did the initial testing this way. I would think it would be pretty rare for users to ever leave wifi while connected to wifi calling. It's going to be a small test group to test calling plus.

I suspect Sprint isn’t quite ready to roll VoLTE out to all iOS beta users for fear of diminishing the user experience. Doing what they’ve done doesn’t diminish user experience at all. In fact, it actually improves user experience.

See before this update, calls would pretty much always drop when you left wifi. Now they hand off to LTE. The (now VoLTE) call may drop later on, but there’s also a good chance it will be sustained until the user hangs up.

Let’s consider the worst case scenario with this implementation - that every call that hands off to LTE drops. Even then, we’re still back to what would have happened on wifi calling before.

• Like 5

Lookie here....

Just picked up a G6 and it also supports Wifi calling to Voice over LTE, and quality is ultra clean..

Unfortunately, no go on the GS8

hoOYhC1l.png

You're certain it's using LTE for the call and not 1x?

Sent from my LG G5