Would you accept ads on your phone in return for a lower monthly bill?

JimBob

Ads on phone screen for lower monthly bill  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you opt in to receive the ads?

• Yes
    • No

Every time you unlock your phone? I personally unlock my phone tens of times each day. Probably over 100 on some days. Heck maybe even more, not like I count. That could be a lot of ad revenue for them and a lot of annoyance for me. I already pay to get rid of ads. I'll keep paying what I'm already paying rather than volunteer that annoyance on myself.

Every time you unlock your phone?

The article says users will "frequently" be shown ads so probably not every time, but I would expect there to be several ads per day. I'm curious if the data it takes to stream the ads would be counted against the subscriber's data bucket? I would hope not.

Sprint is first experimenting with its Boost Mobile brand. Customers will have the option of getting $5 off their wireless bill in exchange for a full-screen ad when they unlock their smartphone. They can opt in or opt out at any time.

http://on.wsj.com/1VmIot2

I'd actually pay Sprint if they were to offer a way to block annoying ads.

Advertising is so annoying. I DGAF if it's refund season! I do my own taxes! Leave be alone!

No, absolutely not. Would be shameful and if forced on me I would cancel service in an instant.

I have Boost you have to download a app for this. The ads dont just show up on your phone. Someone told me they think ads will start showing up on phones from any carrier that or start paying for apps.

I have Boost you have to download a app for this. The ads dont just show up on your phone. Someone told me they think ads will start showing up on phones from any carrier that or start paying for apps.

That's comforting, at least for now. But how do they enforce it? In other words, what if I were to download the app, enroll in the program to save $5/month and then uninstall the app? Seems to me there's got to be another piece somewhere for this to work as planned - which probably has negative implications for privacy.