T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Pretty much the Germans and Massa are in cahoots, which I really hate, and don't want this company be part of the magenta cult. Having said that the Germans don't really want to be out of the US market, they just need another operator with immense amount of Spectrum.

Legere 2016 strategy is to continue to give candy until a pro merger administration takes over in 2017. A wireless company giving free video streaming is not planning for the long haul.

I think their 2017 merger campaign is under way. The analysts are coming out, oh tmobile and Sprint don't make money you have to allow them to merge.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-verizon-and-att-making-17subscriber-month-2015-while-t-mobile-and-s/2015-11-23

• Like 1

it is all about location location location, but sprint has an enormous amount of spectrum left to deploy on band 41, while t mobile has hit a wall with available spectrum for lte deployment.  the 600 auction will help but it wont close the gap they have with sprint. that means sprints only going to get better provided they deploy it properly and t mobile will only get worse, overall.  I don't know what the end game is for t mobile, if they continue to allow people to use and abuse their network and add subs without adding capacity at an equal clip they will only hurt them selves and the customers... i don't get it... whats the plan?

Give away free candy.  Win points with the FCC and the public.  Steal subs off of the other operators.  Oversubscribe its network.  Rack up massive debt on network buildout and spectrum acquisition.  Destabilize Sprint to the brink of failure.  Plead case that the two smaller operators necessarily cannot succeed on their own.  Gain merger approval with T-Mobile in control.

And, hypothetically, all of this could be in collusion with SoftBank -- even though that would be illegal.

AJ

Pretty much the Germans and Massa are in cahoots, which I really hate, and don't want this company be part of the magenta cult. Having said that the Germans don't really want to be out of the US market, they just need another operator with immense amount of Spectrum.

Legere 2016 strategy is to continue to give candy until a pro merger administration takes over in 2017. A wireless company giving free video streaming is not planning for the long haul.

I think their 2017 merger campaign is under way. The analysts are coming out, oh tmobile and Sprint don't make money you have to allow them to merge.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-verizon-and-att-making-17subscriber-month-2015-while-t-mobile-and-s/2015-11-23

I have honestly been thinking this for awhile now. And thinking that it's the entire reason why Sprint "works so hard but just can't seem to pull anything off right". Perhaps this is just my cynicism, but when you suck for so long, or just fail to execute properly to put it nicely, at some point you gotta start wondering if it's all intentional. Honestly, at this point I think the answer is obvious... In theory Sprint should've taken off as soon as SB got them, kinda like T-Mo did when Legere stepped in. Obviously we know why that wasn't the case.

Two wildly opposite approaches both designed to come to the same conclusion in the end. 

I have honestly been thinking this for awhile now. And thinking that it's the entire reason why Sprint "works so hard but just can't seem to pull anything off right". Perhaps this is just my cynicism, but when you suck for so long, or just fail to execute properly to put it nicely, at some point you gotta start wondering if it's all intentional.

That is possible.  But Sprint does not "suck" any longer.  Per objective network reports, Sprint beats T-Mobile nationally -- and in many individual markets.  Yet, T-Mobile wins while Sprint loses on perception.  So, Sprint has an image problem more so than it has an execution or performance problem.

AJ

• Like 2

I have honestly been thinking this for awhile now. And thinking that it's the entire reason why Sprint "works so hard but just can't seem to pull anything off right". Perhaps this is just my cynicism, but when you suck for so long, or just fail to execute properly to put it nicely, at some point you gotta start wondering if it's all intentional. Honestly, at this point I think the answer is obvious... In theory Sprint should've taken off as soon as SB got them, kinda like T-Mo did when Legere stepped in. Obviously we know why that wasn't the case.

Two wildly opposite approaches both designed to come to the same conclusion in the end.

Ask yourself this question, why Sprint needs to wait until 2016 to start a densification network when they have been talking about behind the scenes since February.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-382-sprint-planning-large-network-expansion-adding-9000-new-lte-sites-nationwide/

It has been almost a year since the great staff from this site posted the whole densification planning. Are you telling me Sprint had to wait a year to get this thing going?.. Unless the owners still have tmobile in their minds, and don't want to spend billions on macro sites.

Forgive me for not reading through all 102 pages before jumping in, but I thought a few of you might be interested to see this:

AAHehzw.png

The maps depict data coverage for Boost Mobile (orange) and T-Mobile prepaid (green). Very little (if any) roaming is included for either carrier.

• Like 1

That is possible. But Sprint does not "suck" any longer. Per objective network reports, Sprint beats T-Mobile nationally -- and in many individual markets. Yet, T-Mobile wins while Sprint loses on perception. So, Sprint has an image problem more so than it has an execution or performance problem.

AJ

Yes that is true, now it's mostly a perception problem. Now sprint just has to execute better in the marketing department, which from what I can tell should be happening anytime now...

Ask yourself this question, why Sprint needs to wait until 2016 to start a densification network when they have been talking about behind the scenes since February.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-382-sprint-planning-large-network-expansion-adding-9000-new-lte-sites-nationwide/

It has been almost a year since the great staff from this site posted the whole densification planning. Are you telling me Sprint had to wait a year to get this thing going?.. Unless the owners still have tmobile in their minds, and don't want to spend billions on macro sites.

Planning begins in 1h 2016 and discussions begin with vendors for potential equipment design and acquisitions.

Plan presented to son and Softbank in summer 2015 and approved.

Equipment order foes out to vendors who must now begin the process of manufacturing the ordered equipment.

One does not simply produce tens of thousands of technologically advanced products overnight without preparation and the industry turnaround is approximately 6-9 months. Summer +(6-9) months = 2016.

Simple time line really.

• Like 8

Planning begins in 1h 2016 and discussions begin with vendors for potential equipment design and acquisitions.

Plan presented to son and Softbank in summer 2015 and approved.

Equipment order foes out to vendors who must now begin the process of manufacturing the ordered equipment.

One does not simply produce tens of thousands of technologically advanced products overnight without preparation and the industry turnaround is approximately 6-9 months. Summer +(6-9) months = 2016.

Simple time line really.

Good, because the last thing I want is this company especially spectrum in the hands of the magenta cult.

That is possible. But Sprint does not "suck" any longer. Per objective network reports, Sprint beats T-Mobile nationally -- and in many individual markets.

AJ

I agree Sprint is much better than ever before but rootmetrics says Sprint is a distant 4th place in overall awards. Sprint is doing well in call and text but data is not so hot. Tmobile has quite a bit more rewards so how is Sprint winning nationally?

I agree Sprint is much better than ever before but rootmetrics says Sprint is a distant 4th place in overall awards. Sprint is doing well in call and text but data is not so hot. Tmobile has quite a bit more rewards so how is Sprint winning nationally?

View the RootMetrics 1H 2015 national report.  I and others have posted it multiple times.  Sprint 3rd, T-Mobile 4th.

AJ

• Like 1

View the RootMetrics 1H 2015 national report. I and others have posted it multiple times. Sprint 3rd, T-Mobile 4th.

AJ

Oh I know that. Im looking at the 2nd half still underway and Sprint is definitely not beating T-Mobile at the moment. Plenty of markets left though.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, the point that Sprint gets 4th place in is always data speeds, correct? Not reliability, etc. If that's the case, who cares? Raw speeds do nothing for the user if they can't make or receive calls.

• Like 1

Oh I know that. Im looking at the 2nd half still underway and Sprint is definitely not beating T-Mobile at the moment. Plenty of markets left though.

In the first half, T-Mobile was also well ahead Sprint in # awards, yet Sprint still placed overall above T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the first half, T-Mobile was also well ahead Sprint in # awards, yet Sprint still placed overall above T-Mobile.

Sprint is beating tmobile in call and texting. Tmobile is doing terrible in call performance though. Sprint is last in reliability too. Also way behind at the airports. Like I said its not over but Sprint is not beating T-Mobile at the moment.

• Like 1

Sprint is beating tmobile in call and texting. Tmobile is doing terrible in call performance though. Sprint is last in reliability too. Also way behind at the airports. Like I said its not over but Sprint is not beating T-Mobile at the moment.

Oh I get you, I'm just saying the # of total individual awards does not entail the network's placement for the overall national performance rating.

• Like 2

that speed tests only highlights the growing congestion, strong signal with 18 down and 26 up.. that is a perfectly acceptable and usable speed for sure, but anytime you consistently see upload faster than download it is the first stage in congestion. also not sure if i would call 1:16 peak hours, not off hours but not peak hours either.

In Chicago it's peak hours and if u noticed I said I was TETHERING a laptop, ps3, and my grandmothers iPhone 5c. So those are awesome speeds imo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

• Like 1

it is all about location location location, but sprint has an enormous amount of spectrum left to deploy on band 41, while t mobile has hit a wall with available spectrum for lte deployment. the 600 auction will help but it wont close the gap they have with sprint. that means sprints only going to get better provided they deploy it properly and t mobile will only get worse, overall. I don't know what the end game is for t mobile, if they continue to allow people to use and abuse their network and add subs without adding capacity at an equal clip they will only hurt them selves and the customers... i don't get it... whats the plan?

Sprint isn't even in the auction though.

Sprint isn't even in the auction though.

Why sink billions in spectrum you can't use for at least 3-5 years when you can spend the same billions to deploy 20-40-60-80mhz of prime high capacity spectrum TODAY.

• Like 5

Why sink billions in spectrum you can't use for at least 3-5 years when you can spend the same billions to deploy 20-40-60-80mhz of prime high capacity spectrum TODAY.

*in a year or two.

TODAY is not accurate. Lol.

• Like 2

*in a year or two.

TODAY is not accurate. Lol.

Maybe a year or two to be substantially complete, but not a year or two for significant deployment. We're already seeing better use of BRS/EBS with the addition of a band 41 carrier. Densification starts Q1 2016, not in a year.
  • Like 4

I'm still without a wireless device, but there is someone in the executive relations department at T-Mobile my mother spoke with about a billing issue. The guy she spoke with apparently was very nice and dislikes this binge-on service. He made some tempting offers to return, and my mother is going to call him back in a few days with a response. I told her that the only way we should return is if they give us the same loyalty plan they gave loyal customers a few years ago, which was $45 monthly for unlimited.

Otherwise, it is looking like I might be without a wireless device for awhile.

The whole concept of one carrier "beating" an other is kind of a tired argument. A luxury car that does 0-60 in 5 seconds beats a car that does it in 4 seconds but you know what? I'd drive either one and they'll both get me there faster than I probably needed to. A "4th place" carrier does not equal a bad carrier.
  • Like 3

The whole concept of one carrier "beating" an other is kind of a tired argument. A luxury car that does 0-60 in 5 seconds beats a car that does it in 4 seconds but you know what? I'd drive either one and they'll both get me there faster than I probably needed to. A "4th place" carrier does not equal a bad carrier.

Comparing a network to the speed of a car is apples to oranges. You can control the speed of your car but you can't control a network but I get what your saying.

• Like 1

Comparing a network to the speed of a car is apples to oranges. You can control the speed of your car but you can't control a network but I get what your saying.

It is not apples and oranges. The point is this: just like a cars acceleration, whether the network is 5MB, 15MB or 25MB, whether one network is 25MB and the competitor is 17MB, it's all still significantly good enough for 95% of the needs just as the acceleration of a fast car is good enough for 95% of the driving situations. It's characterized as good and bad and that's nonsense.

It is not apples and oranges. The point is this: just like a cars acceleration, whether the network is 5MB, 15MB or 25MB, whether one network is 25MB and the competitor is 17MB, it's all still significantly good enough for 95% of the needs just as the acceleration of a fast car is good enough for 95% of the driving situations. It's characterized as good and bad and that's nonsense.

[emoji106] True