T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I'm trying to decide between the two of them as my go-to as well. Sprint offers more overall rural coverage in my area (southern Wisconsin) and is cheaper. However their voice quality to me just doesn't sound as good, and I can pick up on Sprints media re-compression often enough that it bugs me. Although T-Mobile has enough EDGE/dead spots to be annoying at times (building penetration), I tend to be happier with their service quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still haven't experienced this media compression that everyone talks about, or rather I don't realize when it happens. Perhaps I'm oblivious or maybe it just isn't that big of a deal to me.

Does everyone here have a second T-Mobile line or something? I didn't realize so many Sprint users were using T-Mobile side by side. (Thought it was only me and a few others!)

Seeing this makes me very happy I didn't choose T-Mobile as my new primary carrier when I was shopping. Just yesterday I was out driving around and pretty much anywhere that was even remotely dense in this suburb of mine was running a little on the slow side (was usable but walking a fine line where adding just a few more users would make it crash). As I got closer to home, where population density drops down a little but network density stays the same, it got back up into the 30s-40s.

I wonder how T-Mobile is handling the added traffic in Chicago. It was already teetering on the line between usable and unusable before...

In my city both networks are comparable but T-Mobile does edge out Sprint. Lately my Sprint service has been having issues with delayed calls and texts not sending out so I've been using my T-mobile service a bit more. Volte is dope and can't wait until Sprint activates it. Apart of me wants to switch fully but...I'm too loyal to Sprint and feel like I'm cheating on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm too loyal to Sprint and feel like I'm cheating on them.

You would be. ;)

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I still haven't experienced this media compression that everyone talks about, or rather I don't realize when it happens. Perhaps I'm oblivious or maybe it just isn't that big of a deal to me.

http://imgur.com/wq2VjrM.png and http://i.imgur.com/jTL1VAq.png  are some examples

I don't think it's subtle -- it bothers me a lot when I see it happen. But I'm sure there are some people who won't notice or won't mind. 

http://imgur.com/wq2VjrM.png and http://i.imgur.com/jTL1VAq.png  are some examples

I don't think it's subtle -- it bothers me a lot when I see it happen. But I'm sure there are some people who won't notice or won't mind. 

Whether I loaded both of those sites on mobile or WiFi, the picture was virtually the same.

• Like 1

Whether I loaded both of those sites on mobile or WiFi, the picture was virtually the same.

Sorry, I must have been unclear. Those are not working examples for you to try out on a phone right now. They are screenshots of that effect happening on other peoples phones. (that compression you see in those screenshots does not exist normally, Sprint added it during download)

This is a screenshot of a website normally (through VPN) - http://i.imgur.com/ZvbBle3.png

This is that same page, after Sprint's automatically compressed it - http://i.imgur.com/jTL1VAq.png

• Like 2

Sorry, I must have been unclear. Those are not working examples for you to try out on a phone right now. They are screenshots of that effect happening on other peoples phones. (that compression you see in those screenshots does not exist normally, Sprint added it during download)

This is a screenshot of a website normally (through VPN) - http://i.imgur.com/ZvbBle3.png

This is that same page, after Sprint's automatically compressed it - http://i.imgur.com/jTL1VAq.png

Oh ok! I see it there but I still barely noticed it. I had to flip between the both of them quite a few times to see the differences.

• Like 2

My speeds have taken a hit also. I normally pull atleast 40mbps at my house and now I can't even get past 7 mbps.

Speed still going strong here: 55 down 33 up

Sent from my SM-N910T

Edited by Houston_Texas

Oh ok! I see it there but I still barely noticed it. I had to flip between the both of them quite a few times to see the differences.

the easiest way to tell is by looking at the shadows they appear to have blocks, that't the compression effect it is most visible in dark areas in both video and stills.

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/    

this is really going to be a non issue, same theory says a 4k screen on a 6 inch phone doesn't look any better than a 1080P screen, difference is in the screen tech not pixel count because at a normal viewing distance you cant see the pixels anyway.  

• Like 1

Look, if it's true that DT isn't interested in a sale any more, then they're going to have to start to milk the money train here. 

These moves could be as simple as the German overlords finally wanting to take profit and not caring so much about growth any more. They're going to have to pay for 600 MHz too. 

It's the gravy train coming to an end. It had to at some point to pay for the network improvements. 

• Like 1

At this point, I hope T-Mobile loses their case to the FCC in getting Verizon out of the 600mhz reserve in certain areas. I'd really love to see Verizon outbid them, unless of course Sprint changes its mind by then, which in that case I'd like to see Sprint outbid T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is absolutely horrible to deal with.

My mother just finished talking with the Executive Relations department which is not going to help us be able to turn off the binge-on service, despite us having the 2 for $100 unlimited plan. They are forcing us to deal with the setting, as I have no way of turning it off, despite being able to view the setting.

T-Mobile is absolutely horrible to deal with.

My mother just finished talking with the Executive Relations department which is not going to help us be able to turn off the binge-on service, despite us having the 2 for $100 unlimited plan. They are forcing us to deal with the setting, as I have no way of turning it off, despite being able to view the setting.

Existing customers don't get bingeon until Thursday. You'll have to wait till then to opt out.
  • Like 1

Existing customers don't get bingeon until Thursday. You'll have to wait till then to opt out.

The setting for it is there. I can view it, but I can't turn it off. T-Mobile is blatantly not allowing us to turn it off. My mother spoke with a few of the Executive Relations department staff who are the highest ranked support a customer can call. gusherb and others have been able to turn it off, as its under the profile/media settings, but it forces customers to validate a SSN to activate it or to turn it off. Doesn't give a more secure option of entering a pin.

The fact the Executive Relations will not let us turn it off, is awful. I do not want Binge-on, it isn't that I want it when it's not available. According to the setting and the Executive Relations Department, it is set on and they will not allow it to be turned off and then for us to view it as off even. The situation is just very very bad right now.

The setting for it is there. I can view it, but I can't turn it off. T-Mobile is blatantly not allowing us to turn it off. My mother spoke with a few of the Executive Relations department staff who are the highest ranked support a customer can call. gusherb and others have been able to turn it off, as its under the profile/media settings, but it forces customers to validate a SSN to activate it or to turn it off. Doesn't give a more secure option of entering a pin.

The fact the Executive Relations will not let us turn it off, is awful. I do not want Binge-on, it isn't that I want it when it's not available. According to the setting and the Executive Relations Department, it is set on and they will not allow it to be turned off and then for us to view it as off even. The situation is just very very bad right now.

Wait until Thursday
  • Like 1

For real. This is why we can't have nice things. People calling executive customer service for something this stupid before it's even supposed to be live. STOP CALLING AND WAIT!

According to the Executive Relations people, it is live on our account. gusherb and a few others here have mentioned correctly where the setting is located and it was on when I checked it. Problem is, I can't turn it off.

When my mother called, they never gave her any kind of explanation or reasoning indicating this is because it isn't live. It is live for many customers, including us, and I want it to be off. The problem stems from T-Mobile requiring people to use a SSN number to be able to use the setting, which has to be done online, storing that information online which is becaublem for many people, including my mother.

She called verifying all of the account information and everything else they needed to know, but won't activate our T-Mobile "MyT-Mobile" online account because we don't want to have the SSN number stored online, therefore we only have access to certain settings. This has nothing to do with the official release date.

You will be able to turn it off in a few days. 

If you don't like it, port out. T-Mobile might be a bad fit for Chicago with their lack of low band spectrum there. Just compare their coverage in cities (any of the other top 10 like NYC, LA, Dallas Fort Worth, Houston, Atlanta) with markets that don't have low band. St. Louis is in the same boat. 

• Like 1

You will be able to turn it off in a few days.

If you don't like it, port out. T-Mobile might be a bad fit for Chicago with their lack of low band spectrum there. Just compare their coverage in cities (any of the other top 10 like NYC, LA, Dallas Fort Worth, Houston, Atlanta) with markets that don't have low band. St. Louis is in the same boat.

Ever since "binge-on" became available to whatever degree that it has, the speeds certainly have reduced, particularly here in the Chicago market.

How much video do you watch on your phone?

Because of my health declining, I haven't been able to go upstairs at my home where the television is often after returning home from being out. So, I've ended up staying in the first floor where there is no television or even a computer, and I've had to rely on the smartphone the last week or so for video watching.

Also, I've been going to my aunt's more often, where I need video on my smartphone when not wanting to have her television on at night when she's asleep upstairs while I'm on the first floor. My health has been getting so bad that I need this when not situated at home on the second floor where I was at mostly for months, between whenever I needed to go out. However, that is becoming a problem.

I imagine you asked, figuring it wasn't a big deal, and that I'm somehow trying to make it to be that. I assure you it is, and when my mother is paying $100 monthly to a company for unlimited service, while my usage still is around 10gb to 15gb monthly, certainly not "data abuse", I don't want that video massively hindered down to 480p. I doubt many people would either, which as evidenced from many comments I've read online, I'm certainly not the only person not liking and not wanting binge-on active on their accounts.

Because of my health declining, I haven't been able to go upstairs at my home where the television is often after returning home from being out. So, I've ended up staying in the first floor where there is no television or even a computer, and I've had to rely on the smartphone the last week or so for video watching.

Also, I've been going to my aunt's more often, where I need video on my smartphone when not wanting to have her television on at night when she's asleep upstairs while I'm on the first floor. My health has been getting so bad that I need this when not situated at home on the second floor where I was at mostly for months, between whenever I needed to go out. However, that is becoming a problem.

I imagine you asked, figuring it wasn't a big deal, and that I'm somehow trying to make it to be that. I assure you it is, and when my mother is paying $100 monthly to a company for unlimited service, while my usage still is around 10gb to 15gb monthly, certainly not "data abuse", I don't want that video massively hindered down to 480p. I doubt many people would either, which as evidenced from many comments I've read online, I'm certainly not the only person not liking and not wanting binge-on active on their accounts.

I'm sorry to hear about your current health state and pray that it does improve.

I was able to go onto my account and turn off Binge. While it is cool in theory it doesn't benefit my line due to having their truly unlimited plan. I hope that you can get that situation resolved. 3801f6a0c41ea2f949610d29587f2f42.jpg

• Like 4

The option is missing from my account now. So I would just chalk it up to growing pain/bugs being worked out. I seriously do not understand why you are making a huge deal out of something that isn't supposed to happen until tomorrow.

• Like 1